New Zealand Fire Service Trentham 487

Hi there Team well my next build is on line, i have done a similar thing to what a fellow poster on here has done and has taken on the challange of converting a basic diecast truck into what i aim aiming for.

i am using a Scania 1/32 scale Model which starts out as a turntable ladder appliance

DSC05443.jpg

DSC05445.jpg

and what i am aiming to turn it into is the pump rescue tender from the station that i am based at in Upper Hutt New Zealand

WN2405l.jpg

i know that it is going to be a huge amount of scratch building and i am up for the challange.

the ladder section is off and some thinking going into how i need to modify the main chassis section

DSC05444.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

i have drawn up a template for the sides of the vehicle and transferred it to plastic card

DSC05447.jpg

DSC05448.jpg

this is going to be a long process and the updates will come as they are done

thanks for having a loook

a bit more work done today,

both the side panels cut out and test fitted and the back panel is cut to shape and test fitted also

DSC05453.jpg

DSC05454.jpg

DSC05452.jpg

might be a day or two until i can get much more done but so far it seems to be going ok just have to find some groved plastic card and then i can really get going on the back end.

the main chassis was also modified today just to make things fit a bit better

well a little bit more has been done on the project, i have started lining the locker area which double as internal frame supports for the construction of the back end of the appliance

DSC05460.jpg

DSC05457.jpg

DSC05455.jpg

i had to build up the floor in the middle lockers as it was a little bit low but that was easy enough to accomplish.

from here i made a rough cut of the top board for the top of the rear section and this also includes the back end and floor board for the rear of the truck

DSC05456.jpg

so far this is coming along ok, the next time consuming bit wll be the finishing of the back end and smoothing off of all areas to ensurfe a good seal but this is what it looks like so far

DSC05459.jpg

DSC05458.jpg

there will be more photos to come when i get more of the model done and i have run out of a certain plastic rod that i need so cant really carry on until i get more lol

This is going to be nice! I love what you guys have been doing with basically die cast toys, bringing them up to detailed models. Very nice work!

Bill

Hi there Bill, thanks for the positive comments its much appreciated

regards

craig.

a bit more has been done the back section is nearly complete, i have made the feeder locker on the rear and cut a hole for the slam lock catch to fit into.

i am considering leaving a locker or two open so i can display some equipment as this appliance spends its time around upper hutt and hutt valley as a pump rescue tender and attends car crashes etc house fires and everything else that a fire fighter is known for.

there is a heap of finishing work to do in the rear section such as filling in the gaps where they are smoothing it all out and making sure that it sits flat everywhere and then maybe line the lockers with balsa wood to make it look like plywood.

then the next step will be finishinh the outside pieces with the edgeing on the lockers but that wont be done until after easter as shops are shut and have run out of supplies.

will up date photos soon

Hello Craig,

That is EXEMPLARY work so far.. :jaw-dropping:

.You have done a brilliant job so far and I am looking forward to seeing more.

thanks for sharing your work.. :yahoo:

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES

hi there again just a small update spent a coouple of hours on it this morning while it was raining and kids asleep

i had to cut down the rear feeder hose locker as i found that it was to big and i didnt have room to make my rear ladder whch is yet to come.

DSC05462.jpg

the lockers were lined with balsa wood to simulate the plywood that the real truck uses and the sides were attached to see how the fit is and to see what needs filling there is a little bit of repair work to be done but ya get that with scratch building.

DSC05461.jpg

DSC05463.jpg

in the above photo you will see a small aliminium piece with two holes, this is the bracket for the Co2 and Dry powder fire extinguisher yet to be made. the sides have had locker doors added to them that need them, the ones that dont are going to be open.

DSC05463.jpg

DSC05464.jpg

i put the cab bac k on to se how progress is going, so far i am very happy with the result, not bad for a first attempt at scratch building i thought, i know some pieces may be a little crooked but hey what the heck this is a working truck and meant to be used .

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05465.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there, just a small update this week as i have been busy with a few things but have accomplished a little bit, i have built a small step to be placed on the rear of the appliance it is held on by tape at the moment

but will be secured when the rear has been painted

DSC05502.jpg

i have added some brass rod to the lockers to represent the handles

DSC05501.jpg

i built a small box that sits on the roof of the appliance and this normally contains tools and other items, i made the box out of white plastic card and covered it with diamond plate plastic card

DSC05503.jpg

DSC05504.jpg

there will be more updates soon i hope.

next item on the list is to finish off the mudguards and BA lockers on the sides

• 2 weeks later...

hi there team sorry for the long delay in updating things have been pretty hectic around the traps

i have a small update to add i have made the mudguards and the BA lockers for the Apppliance

DSC05535.jpg

DSC05534.jpg

there will be more to come when i get some more down time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there again i am back - just took an extended break from the build to regather my thoughts on this and how damn hard it is and what a challange it has been.

i took a good look at a few fire truck models and the ladders that they carry and i didnt like the look of the plastic ones so i set myself a chalange to make a working ladder from scratch.

i chose to use some round brass rod for the rungs and for the strings i used some rectangle brass rod.

DSC05643.jpg

DSC05648.jpg

to make this work i had to measure the length that i wanted and work out the spacing to install the rungs.

i drilled all of the holes using a drill press and a small bit and some of them are a little on the crooked side but hey its all experimental.

once the holes were all drilled i got the round tubing and slid it into the holes and cut it.

i did this for the whole length and when the super glue was dry after about 24 hours i used a small power tool with a cutting disc to cut off the excess tubing and smooth down the edges so that they were flush.

well here it is the first half of my ladder built from scratch, now onto the next half.

DSC05650.jpg

i am trying to get more time to finish this model but its a big challange.

:thumbsup:

and what i am aiming to turn it into is the pump rescue tender from the station that i am based at in Upper Hutt New Zealand

WN2405l.jpg

It's funny, I came across this thread yesterday, then saw the exact above vehicle drive by while waiting at the lights at the Kelson/SH2 intersection on my way to work this morning :)

Watching with interest both as a local and as my father was involved with the design and manufacture of the bodies for a bit up at Mills Tui after a long RNZAF fire-fighting career. Really enjoying the work so far :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

It's funny, I came across this thread yesterday, then saw the exact above vehicle drive by while waiting at the lights at the Kelson/SH2 intersection on my way to work this morning :)

Watching with interest both as a local and as my father was involved with the design and manufacture of the bodies for a bit up at Mills Tui after a long RNZAF fire-fighting career. Really enjoying the work so far :thumbsup:

thanks heaps for the confidence boost, nice to know a local is watching lol

PM me if you want to come and have a look

• 2 months later...

hi there guys, well the posting has been really slack as of late with a multitude of things going on around the place so havent had much chance to get some updates going or some major progress made

just a quick update picture here of the model it is coming along slowly since this photo was taken i have made some adjustments to the hose reels by way of changuing the reels to make them smaller and look a little more realistic

9101_10151334947278714_1649399458_n.jpg

i will try and be more pro active in getting regular updates lol

• 2 months later...

well a bit more has been done on this project its taking ages i know but i am doing it where time and funds permit

i have stripped out the cab and started the process of making my BA seats where the breathing cylinders go and i have also converted it from left hand drive to right hand drive

the beacons have been repainted in red from blue so wait out to see how that goes,

i have also had the main cab and body section have the initial coats of paint and now it is the details of the paint work that will take the time

DSC05885_zps57554dd6.jpg

DSC05883_zps98b5fb10.jpg

DSC05884_zps1eb36354.jpg

let me know what you all think

well the cab is nearly finished - just the decals to go if they work lol

i am happy with the way the beacons came out from being originally blue i painted them silver then clear red and a good result i feel.

the worst part about painting the cab was the masking involved in the red and yellow stripes, i painted the yellow section first and when that was dry i masked up the red and painted that.

when all dry all the mountain of tape was removed and the touch ups where they were needed were done ( not many )

DSC05893_zps4da468da.jpg

DSC05892_zpse20a8c34.jpg

DSC05891_zpse670a2b0.jpg

so the project is getting there slowly, more updates to come, the truck is nearly done and the back end to have the stripes put on the back and sides and then it will all be onto the detailing and the diorama

keep watching

• 2 weeks later...

Hey kiwifite

That has come along nicely.

Looking good and its looking like a fire truck..

:jaw-dropping:

Keep it coming, don't stop, you are on a roll. :yahoo:

By the way when I am able I will post this huge beauties that I have here for you , maybe before next CHRISTMAS.. :taunt:

well guys some more of the truck has been done, there is still a heck of a mount of tidying up and detailing to be done, but it is nealry there then onto the diorama from there

the cab interior has been done and is awaiting details such as BA sets and radios gear etc

DSC05899_zpsc2c15626.jpg

the rear section has had the stripes added and the rear step also some touch ups on the paint to go but there is little bits every where

the ladder and gantry and the tool box have been added to the roof along with the 2 lengths of suction hose

DSC05895_zpsfabf9e8e.jpg

the hose reels have been added and there again is some paint to be touched up in places

DSC05896_zpse8ac1d0b.jpg

i added the cab to the model so i could see how the finishsed product is going to look and for my first attempt at scratch building i think that i have done ok, i am by no means a professional builder i am just a fire fighter with a passion for fire trucks and the modelling hobby

DSC05898_zps5eb4a1ed.jpg

DSC05897_zpsb46cf76e.jpg

keep watching and let me know what you think