New Zealand Fire Service Trentham 487

well guys the truck is pretty much finished except for a few details that will be added later when time and money permit.

the lockers have been stowed with equipment and one has been left empty on purpose as this would have had rescue gear in it and this will be out on the diorama that comes next

let me know what you think, i know that it is not as good as some of the models on here but i am a first time scratch builder and am reasonably pleased with the first efforts i have come up with

DSC05908_zps552d5421.jpg

DSC05908_zps552d5421.jpg

DSC05906_zps795c04b1.jpg

DSC05905_zps4fca0b30.jpg

feel free to comment and all adivce is appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

well time for another update, this time the truck is away getting decals done by a sign writer ( i have tried to get them as good as i could and as close as i could. )

while that is happening it is time to move onto the diorama of the set up that it will be displayed in.

i have made a section of motor way using the Italleri road kit, i had to buy two boxes to get it long enough and made and painted it all up complete with the side barrier,

the look i am going for is something i have seen now and then during my time as a fire fighter and that is a drunk driver or boy racer showing off to girlfriend and has crashed the car and has had to be cut from the wreckage by the NZ Fire Service - we go to way to many of these calls.

for the boy racer car i used a 1/32 scale nissan skyline

DSC00004_zps687f8ef9.jpg

DSC00009_zpscd30d4b3.jpg

i added a couple of 1/32 figures from a SIKU tractor driver set that i found and they needed some mods to fit in the car and of course some injuries ( discretion advised )

the car will eventually be displayed with the roof cut off and the drivers door cut off

DSC00012_zpsd8f78cf1.jpg

it may seem pretty gruesome but this is what we face as fire fighters and this will be used to try and educate young people about the dangers of drinking and then driving and also the dangers of speed

let me know what you think

there qill be a label that will be engraved to go with the display - i have to think of an appropriate message yet

what i have got so far is

The Faster you go the bigger the mess

how does that sound? any advice on messages will be greatly appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

well guys alot more has been done in this diorama now and so far i am very happy with the end result

the car was damaged by heating over a candle to achieve the result that i wanted

DSC05924_zps964f76a7.jpg

the roof was removed to simulate patient extraction by the fire service

DSC05923_zpscedf2153.jpg

to simulate all the broken glass i used a couple of handfulls of clear plastic beads and just crushed them up with a mallet and used PVA glue to stick it in place

DSC05925_zps11244540.jpg

i made up a salvage sheet using a piece of baking paper and painted it the colours i needed and layed out my cutting tools on that, the hydraulic lines are yet to be added

DSC05926_zpscc054941.jpg

the decals for the truck came out ok, not to happy with the crest so i might re do it

DSC05922_zps949edb79.jpg

DSC05920_zps1192f96f.jpg

I then placed the truck in position to see how the finished product will look when it is all done, not far to go just some minor details to build for the truck and the diorama itself.

overall i am very happy for my first big project and scratch building attempt

DSC05927_zpsa625900b.jpg

DSC05928_zps3f44bc2d.jpg

let me know what you think

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, a few things you might want to add are; have the high pressure hose reel run off and placed ready in case the car catches fire, a fire extinguisher placed in a similar manor, hydraulic rams on the staging sheet, wooden cribbing under the car to stabilise it, soft protection (Kevlar sheets with magnets sewn into it) placed over the cut car pillars near the patients, hard protection (plastic or wood) on the staging sheet.

Looking good, a few things you might want to add are; have the high pressure hose reel run off and placed ready in case the car catches fire, a fire extinguisher placed in a similar manor, hydraulic rams on the staging sheet, wooden cribbing under the car to stabilise it, soft protection (Kevlar sheets with magnets sewn into it) placed over the cut car pillars near the patients, hard protection (plastic or wood) on the staging sheet.

Hi Dan, thanks for the input and some really good ideas there i hadnt considered the soft and hard protection ( although i should have after having done the MVA PRT course ),

i am aiming to make the cribbing for the stabalisation for the car, and the extinguishers etc when i get around to it. i am also intending on having the tools actually in use by some fire fighter figures when i can figure out how to make them look correct.

I take it from your knowledge of equipment you have some experience in this area of MVA PRT?

I am a career Firefighter and work on PRT

awesome handy to know,

there anything else missing other than what you have mentioned that i should do,

I am a career firefighter at wellington airport - where are you stationed?

I transferred from Auckland to Taupo a few years ago. I think you have everything covered. The only thing would be to put the Hydraulic power unit onto a trolley with two Hydraulic hose reels mounted on top, one is for the spreaders and the other is for the cutters. There are hooks on each side of the trolley to hang each hydraulic tool. The left rear locker on the PRT has fold down ramps so the trolley can be wheeled in and out of the locker as a unit with the spreaders and cutters. It's a stupid set up but it is how it is done on most PRTs these days.

My link

My link

My link

Edit:

My link

Edited by dan

I transferred from Auckland to Taupo a few years ago. I think you have everything covered. The only thing would be to put the Hydraulic power unit onto a trolley with two Hydraulic hose reels mounted on top, one is for the spreaders and the other is for the cutters. There are hooks on each side of the trolley to hang each hydraulic tool. The left rear locker on the PRT has fold down ramps so the trolley can be wheeled in and out of the locker as a unit with the spreaders and cutters. It's a stupid set up but it is how it is done on most PRTs these days.

My link

My link

My link

Edit:

My link

Hi there Dan much appreciated, i would love to be career nzfs but had no luck each time i tried so i went volly, i am on a composite station with a prt in upper hutt

Hi there Dan much appreciated, i would love to be career nzfs but had no luck each time i tried so i went volly, i am on a composite station with a prt in upper hutt

I started as a volley, alot of guys do. To be honest you don’t want to join the Career Fire Service right now as the only positions being offered are the alternate roster positions. Once those guys reach QF they will be taken off whatever coloured watch they were on and put on the alternate roster. This means every eight days they get their roster for the following eight days. They will be working any eight shifts (days or nights on any watch) in those eight days to cover any leave or sick leave etc. In a multi station district it can be at any station on any watch. I can’t imagine a worse way to live and work with no idea what shifts you will work until eight days beforehand it will wreak havoc with their family life. Everyone in the NZFS seems to think the pay is better at the airports anyway lol

Edited by dan