Made in Texas, doing battle in the Middle East

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! Started in on the decals yesterday. There are a LOT of decals on this build. All the stencils on the weapons, the pylons, drop tanks, etc are going to take a week just for the stencils. The major decals will take a while as well, at the pace i'm working at two weeks maybe? Might update when the major markings are on. Man, i hate stencils.

Don

So i've been applying decals for the last week, and about halfway to finished. I'm using the kit decals and they are working very well. i've used Academy decals in the past (F/A-18, F-16CJ/CG0 and was very disappointed. These decals are working great. They look thick on the sheet but they have minimal carrier film and look great on the model. The markings on the Pythons are incorrectly numbered on the instructions. The leading edge/walkway(?) decals are a bit of a pain to use, i would recommend painting these on. I'm using the markings for Tayeset 107 Knights of the Orange Tail. Seen a lot of Sufa builds in Bat or Negev markings, the Orange Tails aren't as common. Couple of pics.

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

Have a few more decals for the topside, then a LOT of stencilling work for the underside and the 600 Gallon drop tanks. Weather is supposed to be rainy tomorrow, so i'll put on some DVDs and see if i can get the rest done.

Don

You're,You're,You're, despicable...how dare you do such a fine model....Now I suppose you're gonna say..anybody can do it. WRONG!!! I can't do one that good...it's it's just sickening, and I'm so so just so glad you're doing it in the All Texas GB :D ... :banana: :banana: :yahoo: :yahoo: .

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I finally managed to glosscoat everything and starting on the washes. Using Promodeller wash, found it has a grainy look to it even after shaking for a looonng time. Will have to make my own wash from acrylic paint, water and liquid soap. I did manage to do the wash to the build, but i might remove it and start over again. I also found the panel lines in several spots on the fuselage are too shallow to allow applying a wash, will do the best i can. I think i will start over, removing the wash will be easy with water. Some pics for the night.

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868-1.jpg

Don

Well, i decided to leave it alone. I did redo a few areas and then dullcoated most of the parts. I used Tamiyas dullcoat for the first time, i find that it is a lot deader than the Model Master Acryl i usually use. I have a few more parts to wash/dullcoat, then will start final assembly. Looked outside and i see the weather has cleared up, so i'll add a couple of pics with the canopy and horizontal fins dryfitted and then go out and enjoy the weather.

IMG_1871-1.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Don

Pic of the weapons, etc i'll be adding.

IMG_1885.jpg

From top to bottom are GBU-24 from the Academy F/A-18 hornet, AN/AAQ-13 and LiteningII Targeting pods from the kit, Python 4 from the kit, and AIM120B AMRAAM from the kit. Drop tanks aren't shown but will be the BIG 600Gal. tanks.

Don

Okay, last night i installed the landing gear and doors, weapons, pods and droptanks. Did this in a fixture with the build on its back. Came back this afternoon and put it on the gear for the 1st time.

IMG_1889.jpg

Aaawww crap!! Can everyone see this!!?? Can you see how the left wingtip is lower than the right!! There is a difference of 3/4" between the two. When i installed the main gear bay i must have been a "little" off, this messed up the alignment to give what you see here. Anyways, a few more pics.

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

Still some stuff to do, i still haven't done the ejection seats yet, AMRAAMS, pitots. I have to say, this thing is HEAVY!! And it looks FAT compared to other F-16s. I'll do some more tonight, should be done sometime this week.

Don

Beautiful build my friend. Hey you could always say you purposely built it to lean like that. Then tell everyone the Fuel split between the wings was more than a 1,000 Lbs. :woot.gif: Or that last time it came in it was a hard landing and it now has a weak rear main strut. This thing has more Ordy than an A-10 Warthog. Just plain gorgeous build. JOSH