Lindberg Charger Police Car WIP

Hey all,

This is one of my latest builds. I am working on the 1/24 Lindberg Charger Police unit. I'm not sure which department I want to model but I've narrowed it down to 2, so I'd appreciate your opinions as to which scheme you guys like the most. But first here are a few in progress pics.

The first is the engine and then a few shots of where I am on the chassis. I've decided to paint the bottom a lighter grey with black and stainless accents even if it may not be accurate. I think it will show up the weathering and just look better in general.

The Hemi; Just set in place so there's a seam at the tranny that will be taken out.

hemi1.jpg

hemi2.jpg

And the underside. I really like the way this kit goes together. some of the instructions are a bit vague, but overall a pretty good kit.

bottomengine.jpg

undersideback.jpg

The last couple of shots are the two cars I am thinking of modeling. Which scheme do you guys like?

BCPDCharger.jpg

PAPD.jpg

Any comments critiques and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Nice work so far bud.

Out of the pictures, I like the bottom one, the black scheme looks aggressive specially with Traffic Enforcement on the side of it. That officer fits the bill also LOL.

Edited by Wayne S

I'm leaning towards that scheme as well. Usually I don't care for smooth top police car models but these with the low-vis markings are just down right mean looking. Plus they have those cool license plate scanners on the trunk lid so that will be fun thing to model. That department actually has 3 cars in the same basic scheme but different colors; this black one, a dark dark grey one with black markings, and then a dark blue with grey markings. The officer with the grey car lives just down the road from me so I may do that one and offer it to him if he wants it. Plus I could see about getting better photos of his car for reference. The only drawback to that scheme is the markings are actually reflective even though low-vis. I'm not sure how I could replicate that or if it would look as good just being dark grey decals. hmmmm....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Bill

I'm leaning towards that scheme as well. Usually I don't care for smooth top police car models but these with the low-vis markings are just down right mean looking. Plus they have those cool license plate scanners on the trunk lid so that will be fun thing to model. That department actually has 3 cars in the same basic scheme but different colors; this black one, a dark dark grey one with black markings, and then a dark blue with grey markings. The officer with the grey car lives just down the road from me so I may do that one and offer it to him if he wants it. Plus I could see about getting better photos of his car for reference. The only drawback to that scheme is the markings are actually reflective even though low-vis. I'm not sure how I could replicate that or if it would look as good just being dark grey decals. hmmmm....

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Bill

Well Bill, now that I might have other options? LOL.

What does the Dark grey one look like, any pictures?

Dark greys is one of my fav on cars.

My Mustang for instance is dark shadow grey with black stripes LOL.

I don't have any pics of it yet, I haven't approached him to ask if I could take some and I haven't seen it out and about when I had my camera ready. Basically it's the reverse of the black car. The body is almost the same color grey as the markings on the black one and it has black markings. I think it's a pretty sharp looking car. I'll try to get some shots of it. Eventually I want to do the silver Bridge City car as well, I like the looks and I like cars with light bars on them. But I think this one will be one of the low-vis smooth tops.

Bill

I don't have any pics of it yet, I haven't approached him to ask if I could take some and I haven't seen it out and about when I had my camera ready. Basically it's the reverse of the black car. The body is almost the same color grey as the markings on the black one and it has black markings. I think it's a pretty sharp looking car. I'll try to get some shots of it. Eventually I want to do the silver Bridge City car as well, I like the looks and I like cars with light bars on them. But I think this one will be one of the low-vis smooth tops.

Bill

Roger bud, guess I will see what I can find on the net. What makes you call them smooth tops? Over here we call them slicktops.

Edited by Wayne S

Another small update. I finished a little more on the suspension and starting weathering the underside. Still not totally happy with the exhaust stains, I think I need a little more blueing and some purple burnt metal, but it's coming along. I also starting drawing up the decals, trying to get them sized up right. I'll worry about the right colors once I decide on the grey or black car.

fullbottom1.jpg

side.jpg

Critiques, comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Thanks Wayne, I always print out everything on plain paper and have to play around with the sizing to get it to work out right. I think I have most of them down now.

Another small update. I've started working on the paint job. Here is a shot in primer and then a couple pics showing the final color. I don't think it's a perfect match for the real car but it's pretty close I believe. I'm using spray can Dupli-color paints made for car touch-ups. The metallic may look a little off being too large to scale, but I don't think it's too distracting. Anyway, here is my latest progress. Hope to have some of the decals on tonight.

Primed:

DSC_0168.jpg

Painted:

painted.jpg

painted2.jpg

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

Awsome work bud, What color/number is the can? That looks pretty darn close to my Mustang, at least in the picture anyway.

Sucker is going to look good and mean. Wish our State Police had a Slicktop in that color :wub:

Thanks Wayne. Yeah, it's a pretty menacing looking car. I love the low-vis almost Darth Vader feel about it. The color is Gunmetal Metallic. I don't have the can with me right now so I don't know the number but I'll look when I get home. It's actually a GM color but it looks pretty darn close to the Dodge color so I just went with it. I'l try to post some shot later with the decals on. I think it's coming along pretty nicely.

Bill

Ok, got some decals on it. Pretty happy with how this is turning out. Once they are cleared over good with the body I think they'll have the semi-ghosted look like the real car. Now on to the interior and put it all together. btw, the front and rear facias aren't glued on so that's what the gaps are all about. The kit actually fits very tight there.

DSC_0293.jpg

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

A little update. I am almost finished with the interior, I just have to make the dash-cam, the headliner mounted light-bar and a few other odds and ends. Then I can button it up and add the finishing touches to it. So far I'm pretty happy with this kit. Everything fits pretty well and looks good.

interior-1.jpg

I scratched build this dash mounted equipment (not sure what it is but I suspect the radar display perhaps?)

dashequip.jpg

I printed a screen capture from the license plate reader manufacturer's website to put on the computer screen. Adds a nice touch I think.

computer.jpg

I used some netting for the prisoner divider. It's not the exact pattern but it's pretty convincing.

cage.jpg

and finally the taillights. I used a red sharpie. It's a little more transparent in real life. the camera makes it look opague.

rear.jpg

Hopefully I can finish this up pretty quick.

Thanks for looking. Comments critiques and suggestion are still very welcome.

Bill

Coming along bud, I just noticed their license plates. Police vehicles in Texas have the same plates as other government "non police" vehicles?

I never really thought about it, but apparently that is the case. All the pics I can find of state troopers have typical "exempt" plates. I know this car has them so I guess that's the case for most police cars. hmmmm....interesting.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I never really thought about it, but apparently that is the case. All the pics I can find of state troopers have typical "exempt" plates. I know this car has them so I guess that's the case for most police cars. hmmmm....interesting.

Bill

DPS units have DPS specific plates with their logo on it. This is the only place you will find a unit identifier on a DPS unit (typically). Other police cars do have "exempt" plates. However, as of a few years ago, exempt plates stopped saying "exempt" and now have numbers and letters.

Edited by Captoveur
  • 7 months later...

I'm calling this one done. Still could add some detail to the engine but since it's made for more of a desktop model, I don't think I'll worry about it. These aren't the best pics so I may try to shoot some better ones once I get a good set up for shooting.

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bill