Questions: Tamiya 1/32 F15J

Hi, everyone. I was lucky enough to find one of my Holy Grails last weekend at the Wings and Wheels show, a 1/32 Tamiya F15. The one I got was the F15J. It was $80/mint/opened, so I think I did pretty well. Looking through the instructions makes me want to drop all that I'm doing and start it, but I want to do it right. I have some initial questions:

1) All the Eduard stuff I can find is for an F15C or F15E. I want to buy some color PE for the cockpit, and also canopy masks. Which of the sets will be most accurate? Another question; do the masks accomodate the copper color borders along the canopy?

2) Does AMS or anyone make FOD covers for this puppy? I couldn't find them at Sprue Brothers. I hate intake trunks.

3) Is the camo on these planes typically done as hard edge camo or soft edge?

4) There are a number of resin seats offered for this, but the one in the kit looks pretty darned sweet itself. Opinions on this?

Thanks to the group for the expert advice, as always.

And Johnny Mac, where were you Sunday? We were looking forward to a visit.

Thanks,

Wild Bill

The F-15J is basically a F-15C, so that would be the better choice for which PE set to get. If you got the F-15E set, you'd get stuff the the rear cockpit, which isn't useful on your single seater kit. Note that the F-15J has an MSIP type front instrument panel with the CRT on the left side of the panel. I don't know if the Eduard sets represent the MSIP or pre-MISP panel, like in the original Tamiya F-15C boxing.

The kit seats are OK, but lack all of the belt and other details that some of the resin seats offer.

For the camo, I'd look at pictures on airliners.net or other places.

Unless I missed it, you didn't indicate which version you want to build. Just a heads up that the -J version has the two mass balances on the top of the vertical stabs. The US F-15C has the larger-diameter TEWS unit on the top of the port stab, so if you want to build a US Eagle, you will need to scratch the TEWS (really, not that tough), or trade with someone who has an -E or -C kit, and wants to build a -J or other export version with the same configuration. Of course, if you're building your kit as a -J, you're good-to-go.

Edited by Harv

Highly recommend fhe Modelart profile on the J Eagle the single best reference for differences between Jasdf Eagles and US ones. Jakes book is best for stuff like burners and gear etc.

The Tamiya J is a non mod Eagle and JASDF birds are now modified with new IP extra antennas and a multitude of small duffs the MA book will point out. aires do a super cockpit.

Enjoy!

...The Tamiya J is a non mod Eagle and JASDF birds are now modified with new IP extra antennas and a multitude of small duffs the MA book will point out. aires do a super cockpit.

Enjoy!

Not quite true. The original Tamiya F-15C kit has the pre-MSIP IP; the -J kit has an updated IP with an additional MFD on the left side (mostly weapons/stores management, I think...?) Anyway, all these Tamiya kits are a dozen or more years old now, so there have certainly been system mods that would impact various antennae, instruments, etc. on the real jets that are not reflected in the kit moldings. None have the tracking gear for a helmet mounted sighting system, yet some of the -JASDF F-15s are so equipped. It is always best to find current (or contemporary) pictures of the specific airframe in question if accuracy to that degree (airframe/timeframe) is desired. Concur that there are some outstanding reference books to make that job easier.

Actually just dragged them out and your right it is a post MSIP panel..interesting for some reason I thought it wasn't! Glad to stand corrected in that one!

The kit also omits the late radome with he lightning conductor strips and all the late ECM antenna and my understanding based on 4 of them is its pretty much just a C being called a J and reboxed.

Fiddley differences to make life harder than required!

Edited by dehowie

That is exactly what it is.

Jake

Actually the "E" kit came out first and the main fuselage parts and most everything else in the kit are re-boxings of those parts. The single seat front fuselage and cockpit are the new parts. Several changes to the fuselage need to be made to make an accurate "C". So in all reality the "J" kit started as an "E"...reboxed as a "C"...then reboxed as a "J". Neither of which are truly accurate.

Darren

They did actually make some changes to the -J kit, so it's not just the exact -C plastic with new decals. The removed the ECM pod from the top of the tail and replaced it with the mass balance, added some specific antennas under then nose and under the intakes, and changed the IP. The kit may not represent a current aircraft, and I don't think all F-15Js in service at the time the kit was released has all of the mods (like the ECM antenna), but I think it's reasonably accurate for certain F-15Js at a certain time. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's really much more inaccurate than the F-15C kit (except maybe for the electronics boxes in the bay behind the seat; I think only US Eagles had those boxes)

They did actually make some changes to the -J kit, so it's not just the exact -C plastic with new decals. The removed the ECM pod from the top of the tail and replaced it with the mass balance, added some specific antennas under then nose and under the intakes, and changed the IP. The kit may not represent a current aircraft, and I don't think all F-15Js in service at the time the kit was released has all of the mods (like the ECM antenna), but I think it's reasonably accurate for certain F-15Js at a certain time. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's really much more inaccurate than the F-15C kit (except maybe for the electronics boxes in the bay behind the seat; I think only US Eagles had those boxes)

Correct. Those new parts are added/changed in the "J" boxing. However the fuselage is still an "E". The JFS intakes on the spine along with different access panels and panel lines were carried over from the "E" kit. Also, depending on the era the bulges on the rudders may not be correct for a "C" or "J". Some "C"'s do have them but not all. In my opinion they are WAY over done even for the "E" kit and should be much more subtle. The horizontal stabs are "E" model also. Some "C"'s are flying with them not sure of the "J". The landing gear and wheels/tires are also "E" model in the "C" kit. Not sure about the "J" but I would highly suspect they used the same parts. I'm in the process of changing all the "E" characteristics on my "C" build. This is the short list of issues that are wrong for a "C".

Darren

Just build it and enjoy! I used the Avionix/Black Box late C cockpit and the Eduard parts. I had issues with the Eduard set - the colors did not seem correct and, IIRC,the IP did not have the CRT on the left. The intakes can be conquered, but it takes some work. Once they are glued together, you have to saw into the bottom lip and insert some sheet stock so it fits flush. It takes some work (and putty) but it is much cheaper than a resin replacement. I got weary at the end of the build and didn't do some wiring or put all the RBF tags on (I found out that the Japanese are obsessive about stencils on their jets - OMFG that was tedious!!!!).

Eduard parts for the IP EXCEPT I removed the CRT on the left side from the resin IP (which was not molded particularly well) and scabbed it on the kit to get it looking right.

IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Well, as the OP has not come back to clarify what he really wants to do with the kit, and there are numerous threads regarding modifications that need to be made to these big Tamiya Eagles to make them accurate (depending upon which version is desired), there is no point in delving into the particulars here.

Wild Bill, if you would care to elaborate on what you intend to do with your 'holy grail' of a kit, then you can see there are knowledgeable folks here willing to point you in the right direction...but there are so many variables, that can't really be done until you narrow down for us what you are really looking to do.

Edited by Harv