Q on weapons on OH-58s

What is that airscoop / antenna on the nose directly in front of the windshield? Don't recall seeing that on standard OH-58C's.

Just got a PM back from Killer Bee. He says that the antenna was the one located under the nose on the OH-58A. The JOH-58C's MPLH skids meant relocating the antenna to the top of the nose to prevent it from getting damaged when the gear was "squatted."

He also added that in the 4 divisional cavalry squadrons he served in from 1978 to 1991, none of the OH-58s were ever armed, "That is why we had Cobras."

Just got a PM back from Killer Bee. He says that the antenna was the one located under the nose on the OH-58A. The JOH-58C's MPLH skids meant relocating the antenna to the top of the nose to prevent it from getting damaged when the gear was "squatted."

He also added that in the 4 divisional cavalry squadrons he served in from 1978 to 1991, none of the OH-58s were ever armed, "That is why we had Cobras."

nothin' better than first hand intel. Thanks for the update.

Ray

I've had that same photo for some time now. For some reason it's been the only one I could find. The ArmyCast set looks interesting, though. That photo should give me just what I was looking for. Thanks, Gino.

Someone just posted one in this thread. Not a bad view of the mounting.

While we are on the general subject of OH-58's, someone just posted a pix of a delta model on the helo thread over in the research corner.

7028021637_6151ec6382_o.jpg

Never seen an OH-58 with those bumps on the nose. I'm assuming they are plated-off covers for missile warning sensors but they seem a lot bigger than the ones mounted on other Army helos (or maybe it's because the KW is just so small). Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has additional pics or other info on these latest mods. I'm assuming that there are other sensors covering the rear quadrants, what I wonder about is whether they now have flare dispensers mounted on this helo? I thought the entire point of the missile warning sensors was to automatically launch decoy flares so I'm assuming that the KW now has a flare bucket(s) as well. I also wonder if they have now removed the ALQ-144 "disco light" from these helos. I think those have been long gone from the other Army helos.

Along with the M3 machine gun, maybe it's time for another resin update to get us all the bits to do a current version OH-58D? A couple of resin Stetson's for the dash wouldn't hurt either :)

Move along, move along... there is nothing new to learn about some of the current Kiowas in that photo...

KiowaFixer

I hear you. I know that certain info on helo self-defense equipment is sensitive. Wasn't looking for in-depth details, just general info on the latest external configurations.

I'll find out one way or another; what is out there on the net is truly amazing. I did a search a while ago on this general subject and the info I found in the public realm would surprise you. A great deal of what you would think should be restricted info is actually posted on .MIL websites.

7028021637_6151ec6382_o.jpg

Never seen an OH-58 with those bumps on the nose. I'm assuming they are plated-off covers for missile warning sensors but they seem a lot bigger than the ones mounted on other Army helos (or maybe it's because the KW is just so small).

Along with the M3 machine gun, maybe it's time for another resin update to get us all the bits to do a current version OH-58D? A couple of resin Stetson's for the dash wouldn't hurt either :)

I do have photos of the latest mods, including mounting the flare/chaff dispenser on the belly and complete removal of the ALQ-144. By the way, those bulges are the mounts for the CMWS antennas seen on Blackhawks and such. Having them and being asked not to post them is hard but I always respect my sources wishes.

I just ordered my M3P from ArmyCast M&M. Looked nice.

Floyd

I hear you. I know that certain info on helo self-defense equipment is sensitive. Wasn't looking for in-depth details, just general info on the latest external configurations.

I'll find out one way or another; what is out there on the net is truly amazing. I did a search a while ago on this general subject and the info I found in the public realm would surprise you. A great deal of what you would think should be restricted info is actually posted on .MIL websites.

It was just a weak attempt a humor on my part 11bee, a small Frank Drebin impersonation:

As you said, it won't be long till the information is out there, an airshow tomorrow, a family day next week, or one of these configured Kiowas stopping somewhere odd for fuel and boom you will have all the photos you want of these changes on Facebook, various aviation photo sites, airshow sites, etc...

Mr. Werner already said it and you can see in the photo, the ALQ-144 mount is gone. The 2 small bumps on the bottom of the tailboom in the photo are the repositioned radar altimeter antennas because of the new mount for the counter measure bucket on the belly. Not in the photo is a new, rather large mount for the two sensors that cover the rear corners right where the fuselage and tailboom join together. There are also changes in the cockpit of course, one of which can even be seen in the photo, compare the glareshield line between the CABS modules in the photo and your references and you should see what I mean.

Hope this helps some and again forgive my poor attempt at humor.

KiowaFixer

Hope this helps some and again forgive my poor attempt at humor.

KiowaFixer

Hi KF,

No worries, I've been there myself more than once. Thanks for the additional info on the latest upgrades, I'll be on the lookout for pics that show everything in detail.

Regards,

John

There you go 11bee and even a pretty old photo, more then likely a test bird with the orange wiring and box back by the GPS antenna. There is another upgrade that needs attention is the eggbeater looking antenna on top of the tailboom, those are becoming much more common then the other upgrades on that bird. That would probably be pretty easy to make with a piece of styrene rod, a couple narrow styrene strips and a little block for the base.

KiowaFixer

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi, trying to revive this thread. I came across information, that 4 armed OH-58Ds were stationed at USS Nicholas and USS Curts (two each). Here is also blurred pic of probably one of the four helos, here at USS McInerney (probably just refuelling ?). Any chance to find out the serial numbers of those early AHIP OH-58Ds ? I have only a few pics of armed KWs from Gulf, can not make one serial ....

OH-58D USS McInerney

Thanks !

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Shhedrov said:

Yes, it is

But how this twin-launchers  mounted to the helicopter

I don't know how much this will help, but I believe this is the same stinger system.  From USAAM archives.  I'm sure i ahve others but thsi si what i can find at the moment.

Ray

1215536428_OH-58CMarch1983LACT-2cropped.thumb.jpg.0cedfd3b032f3f28c5c400c12e35fbfe.jpg

9 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

I don't know how much this will help, but I believe this is the same stinger system.  From USAAM archives.  I'm sure i ahve others but thsi si what i can find at the moment.

Ray

1215536428_OH-58CMarch1983LACT-2cropped.thumb.jpg.0cedfd3b032f3f28c5c400c12e35fbfe.jpg

Thank you.  Good photo. Mount to the door.

But there is another one way to mount. 

Maybe my photo is in later modification. For OH-58D. But I don't know which mount I need for model on my photo. 

There are OH-58C from 101 Air Assault late 80's or early 90's years

Screenshot_20210708-133753_OneDrive.jpg