Gunze Super Metallics

My LHS has some Gunze Mr Color Super Metallics. They're not in the regular Mr Color range (the 2xx metallics), but come individually boxed and numbered SMxx. I've been told they are best mixed with Gunze Mr Thinners (*not* the self-levelling stuff), but other than that I know nothing. Since they're not cheap (c.$7 a bottle) I don't really want to experiment, so does anyone else know if:

1) It can directly be masked over

2) What kind of primer (if any) it needs (Mr Surfacer 1200?)

3) It's buffable

4) How much it needs thinning

5) What distinguishes it from all the other metallic paint in the Mr Color range

6) It can be airbrushed over Mr Color paints *and* be airbrushed on with other Mr Color paints (I only use Mr Color, so don't need to know about other brands :-)

Many thanks

Jon

1) It can directly be masked over

yes when completely dry wait at least 24H

2) What kind of primer (if any) it needs (Mr Surfacer 1200?)

whatever, all you need is a smooth surface, you can use Tamiya paints or primers or Gunze's paints or primes.

3) It's buffable

no

4) How much it needs thinning

quite a lot, I use 30 % Mr. Thinner and 10% Mr. Retarder Thinner

5) What distinguishes it from all the other metallic paint in the Mr Color range

these are much finer, you can't see pigments by bare eye

6) It can be airbrushed over Mr Color paints *and* be airbrushed on with other Mr Color paints (I only use Mr Color, so don't need to know about other brands :-)

yes, absolutely! :thumbsup:

A friend of mine used some of this on a bare-metal spinner on a P-51A he built and it looked like turned, polished aluminum, not painted plastic. Pretty amazing stuff. I think that's the only time I've seen it used.

Curtis

• 8 months later...

I've never tried Gunze Super Metallics range. Just out of curiosity, are they acrylic? Can they be mixed with Tamiya Acrylics or Gunze Aqueous to achieve slightly different shades?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used them but I think they are lacquer-based.

Rob

I've never tried Gunze Super Metallics range. Just out of curiosity, are they acrylic? Can they be mixed with Tamiya Acrylics or Gunze Aqueous to achieve slightly different shades?

Thanks in advance.

they are NOT acrylic but neither are Gunze's or Tamiya's. You can easily mix all the 3 types just mind to use Laquer as thinner. I made it very often, I use Mr. Thinner or Tamiya laquer thinner, both works perfectly.

Actually I use those thinners for all Gunze's and for the gloss Tamiya's. Try Mr. Thinner with Tamiya clear gloss and you will find a perfect smooth and shine surface!

they are NOT acrylic but neither are Gunze's or Tamiya's. You can easily mix all the 3 types just mind to use Laquer as thinner. I made it very often, I use Mr. Thinner or Tamiya laquer thinner, both works perfectly.

Actually I use those thinners for all Gunze's and for the gloss Tamiya's. Try Mr. Thinner with Tamiya clear gloss and you will find a perfect smooth and shine surface!

Thanks for tips, Paolo! So I can mix Gunze Aqueous & Gunze Super Metallics but have to thin them with Mr. Thinner?

• 3 weeks later...