Build #6 1/48 Monogram P-51B

Ok, so while, I wait for things to dry on the 1/24 GG177, my "sources" to get back to me with some info on my 1/32 Mantz Racer, a 1/48 canopy for my 1/32 Tsunami, a great buy was made and showed up in the mail. It was an old unboxed/bagged kit of the P-51B half of the Monogram kit 6081 that featured the Mustang and German Fw 190A. The kit was complete and still sealed in its bag, with instructions, and decal sheet. Ive been wanting to add to my 1/48 fictional Cleveland Air Race set that I have built, a B/C model Mustang. This little kit is perfect. Decent enough detail for me as usual.

My typical racer mods will be smoothing the wings, and some of the fuselage, no drop tanks, adding the dorsal fin, and designing and printing a custom set of decals. My take on this was going to be all black, but after some thought, changed my mind, for a bit more patriotic feel, and my trio really needed some red. So the whole plane will be based with bright white, but I think I will give the main gear doors, radiator intake scoop, prop and spinner the polished metalizer treatment. Satin black on the engine cover and red and blue lettering and red racing bands on the wings and h-stabs, and red stripes on the nose and rudder.

Major sponsorship of the racer will be provided by non other than North American Aviation, Inc., heck we will even call it their "house racer" and to pay homage to its (NAA) president/manager James H. "Dutch" Kindelberger, I named the plane "Dutch Treat"....kinda clever I thought...LOL. Anyway....Got a bit done and designed and printed the decals (although with a bit of a snafu :bandhead2:). So off and running on this little guy. I think it will be a great addition to the Ventura, and P-39.

My final sketch for the graphics...

IMAG0740.jpg

What I got done on the plane and my "dry run" on the decals...

IMAG0738.jpg

My decals all printed, compete with snafu...a glitch caused the 6 to move into the letter N....doh!!!

IMAG0741.jpg

(some extra printing for my GG177 models in there to fill the sheet)

....This is SO inventive, innovative, imressive and interesting thread and build that I HAVE COME ACROSS.

I think your designs et al looks quite FASCINATING and I for ONE am gonna LOVE this build and will follow it

with glee. :D

Just keep posting the updates as you go along..Don't wamt to MISS any pics etc..

Thanks

HOLMES

....This is SO inventive, innovative, imressive and interesting thread and build that I HAVE COME ACROSS.

I think your designs et al looks quite FASCINATING and I for ONE am gonna LOVE this build and will follow it

with glee. :D

Just keep posting the updates as you go along..Don't wamt to MISS any pics etc..

Thanks

HOLMES

12d27bca.gifLookin' forward to the updates too.

Well a bit done tonight, decals on, and a few coats of clear. Still have to stripe the rudder and just behind the spinner, and attach the landing gear and doors and windows. Pretty happy with the decals and the colors...

IMAG0754.jpg

IMAG0755.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0756.jpg

• 2 months later...