A-6E TRAM, SWIP & SWIP Block 1A

Hi Everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me answer a few questions about the A-6E, namely the introduction or lack thereof of upgrades and when they actually reached squadrons for operation.

First of all, for improved Standard ARM (AGM-78) capabilities, the AWG-21 system was added to a number of A-6E TRAM aircraft. Does anyone know when the system reached operational squadrons, as the only information I have is that it was in the early 80's?

Regarding the A-6E SWIP aircraft, I'm a little confused about the avionics upgrades, as in what systems reached active service and which were possibly cancelled. The SWIP Block 1A (cockpit show here: A-6E SWIP Block 1A Cockpit) featured a new HUD as shown in the linked picture, also the ASN-139 INS, ARN-118 TACAN and GPS. Apparently the first flight of an A-6E configured as such was in 1994. Were any A-6E's ever upgraded with these systems or to put it another way, did the Block 1A avionics reach operational fleet service or was it cancelled?

Did standard SWIP A-6E's receive the Integrated Missile Panel (IMP) and an MFD for the B/N, also shown in the image or was this the preserve of the Block 1A aircraft, as I think it was the former in this case but I'm not sure?

Thanks

A-6E TRAM was introduced into the fleet starting in 1979 with the test squadrons and it started in earnest in 1982 for a fleet wide introduction. Between 1980 and 1982 the inital plan was there was only going to be a few AWG-21's and AAS-33/TRAM Turrets in the fleet and they were going to be hot swapped amongst the deploying squadrons. However, after the defense budgets expanded in 1981, the buy for AWG-21 and AAS-33 was increased and all the aircraft going through TRAM upgrades at Bethpage and the Depots were being built out right with the upgrades and avionics installed properly. Remember that a number of the A-6E's were ex-A-6B Intruders so they all had the wiring for AGM-78 already there and just needed to have CAINS, TRAM, APQ-148 upgrades installed. Talking to some family who were at the Program office for Intruders, Pax River, and even at Medium Attack Wing-1 the exact date gets fuzzy as to when TRAM was fleet wide.

As to SWIP those get even more confusing because just like the S-3 Vikings and the F-14 Tomcats; some of the aircraft recieved some upgrades while others didn't and still others did but only after coming home from deployment only to deploy later in the same calendar year with a different unit. So some aircraft were configured with SWIP, but others had SWIP 1A and the data is very confusing on open sources. To get down into the nitty gritty, your probably going to have to do an archival order from NHHC, Northup/Grumman, or even the US Navy on a whole to get the exact BuNo on who was SWIP and who was SWIP 1A and who was in between.

Not sure what the HUD's in the SWIP Block 1A were supposed to look like (like the modern fighter HUDs?) But when VA-115 received their SWIP birds in the middle of 1993, the (HUD) was just a gun sight. The other differences other than the composite wings that I noticed were the digital fuel gauge, and the ability to extend and retract the flaps/slats with the wings folded. There may have been other differences in avionics, but I'm not sure (I was just a plane captain/Structural mechanic) :cheers:

Not sure what the HUD's in the SWIP Block 1A were supposed to look like (like the modern fighter HUDs?) But when VA-115 received their SWIP birds in the middle of 1993, the (HUD) was just a gun sight. The other differences other than the composite wings that I noticed were the digital fuel gauge, and the ability to extend and retract the flaps/slats with the wings folded. There may have been other differences in avionics, but I'm not sure (I was just a plane captain/Structural mechanic) :cheers:

Thanks VA-115EFR.

Your unit must have received the SWIP upgrade, not the Block 1A, because the first flight of the 1A was supposed to be in 1994. Do you notice any similarities to the cockpit image I linked to, such as the IMP on centre console that divides the Pilot and B/N and the B/N's MFD?

Our planes never had the MFD on the B/N side. That area had the flight data computer with the old dials and knobs. The center console looks very similar tho. The HUD looks different than the squared glass ones on ours.

I read somewhere that Grumman was supposed to incorporate "command eject" which (I think) allowed the pilot to punch both pilot and B/N out. That may have been put in the Block 1A as well.

Edited by VA-115EFR

Our planes never had the MFD on the B/N side. That area had the flight data computer with the old dials and knobs. The center console looks very similar tho. The HUD looks different than the squared glass ones on ours.

I read somewhere that Grumman was supposed to incorporate "command eject" which (I think) allowed the pilot to punch both pilot and B/N out. That may have been put in the Block 1A as well.

After search further I've managed to find the following cockpit images:

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/54/193728704_c7f748e5e1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/divemasterking2000/186716509/

Best of all: http://images.travelpod.com/users/tjstaggs/3.1312486826.a-6-intruder-cockpit.jpg

In these photos we can see the old gunsight glass rather than the new HUD, the Integrated Missile Panel (IMP), AN/ALR-67A(V) indicator and controls and no B/N MFD, so we know that these are all SWIP or SWIP Block 1 birds confirming the lack of MFD as you mentioned. :thumbsup:

As A6BSTARM suggested, I've managed to get the Bureau Numbers of the SWIP jets. Unfortunately the source doesn't differentiate between SWIP, SWIP Block 1 and SWIP Block 1A aircraft. I'll look into it further and hopefully I will be able to get the dates and some info on the possibility of a command eject system.

Cheers VA-115EFR :cheers:

I remember playing around in a VA-34 SWIP Intruder as a midshipman in 1991, it did not have the B/N MFD either.

Cheers

Collin

Hi Collin

Initially I thought the main differentiating aspect of the Block 1A would be the HUD and that the other SWIP variants possibly had the B/N's MFD, but that is not the case at all. Ignoring the 1A aircraft, the main item to look for I think is the IMP panel on the centre console. The AN/ALR-67A(V) was introduced in 1985 I believe, so there were none SWIP jets flying in the 90's with it installed. The electronic fuel guage may also be an indication of an SWIP bird, but I'm not sure as I don't know when they were installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for all those of you that are interested. A friend of mine managed to get in contact with a former SWIP A-6E B/N, who stated that the Block 1A never made it to fleet so was never operational. He also mentioned that the ALR-67 started to arrive in 1992.

Now onto the F-111D :D

Cheers

• 9 months later...

I've got few more questions about the A-6 and would appreciate any help.

1) There came a time when the A-6 was upgraded with the AN/ALR-45 Countermeasures Receiving set. The azimuth display indicator used was the AN/APR-25(V) which was simply carried over from the AN/APR-25 RHAW set. Later the following aircraft: A-6E 162182, 162190 & later numbers, TRAM Retrofit 95 (158537), TRAM Retrofit 131 (154131) & later TRAM Retrofits, as well as aircraft that didn't receive the ALR-67A under AFC 552 all acquired the IP-957 - AN/APR-36(V) azimuth display. The previous model often had its designation printed above the azimuth display as shown here AN/APR-25(V), but was that also true with the APR-36 display?

I know F-4's that had the AN/APR-36 installed often had that model name at the top of the display edge, but I've never seen any pictures showing the same with the A-6. I would expect the display for the A-6 and F-4 came from the same stock and it wouldn't surprise me if they shared that part, so one would expect the same detailing with upgraded A-6's?

2) AFC 552 which introduced the AN/ALR-67A system on WCSI aircraft differed visually from the crews perspective from the older ALR-45. It featured a new azimuth display and is also supposed to have incorporated a new set of warning lights on the right side of the optical sight pedestal, the most notable difference here being a column of 6 warning light as opposed to the previous column of 4. Has anyone ever actually seen this installation of the ALR-67A on the A-6 before particularly in the mid to late 80's?

3) One of the things I really like about the A-6, was its ability to carry a large weapons load consisting of a wide variety of ordnance in varying configurations. I noticed in the following picture that the A-6 shown is carrying a strange arrangement of 3 MK-82 retarded bombs. My understanding is that if a MER is to be partially loaded, the bombs are supposed to be removed in the order they are released during an attack. That isn't the case in the picture shown, so is that more of a general loading guideline and not an instruction that must be rigidly executed?

4) Finally, When a TRAM Intruder was configured for tanker duty, where was the air refuelling control panel placed in the cockpit?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

To my knowledge TRAMs where never converted to tankers We stopped using KA-6Ds around '89 and the KA-6Ds where all retired around '92 & '93 due to airframe restrictions, we did however slap a sargent fletcher buddy store on TRAMs now and then. I was in in 3 A-6 squadrons VA-42,VA-34, and VA-36 i remember how much i hated working on tankers then hating the D704,s hehe fond memories.

Scott

To my knowledge TRAMs where never converted to tankers We stopped using KA-6Ds around '89 and the KA-6Ds where all retired around '92 & '93 due to airframe restrictions, we did however slap a sargent fletcher buddy store on TRAMs now and then. I was in in 3 A-6 squadrons VA-42,VA-34, and VA-36 i remember how much i hated working on tankers then hating the D704,s hehe fond memories.

Scott

Cheers Scott. The date of the KA-6D retirement was actually another question on my mind. :cheers:

When the Sargent Fletcher buddy store was used on the TRAMs, it also required a Sargent Fletcher Refuelling Control Panel to be fitted somewhere in the cockpit. For TRAM aircraft the only likely placements I can think of for it, are the panel below the ALR-45 azimuth display or the B/N's right side console. For SWIP jets the only available space would be the B/N's right side console. So taking this all into consideration, I assume the right side B/N console was the likely location of the ARS Control Panel?