1/48 Italeri F-22 and Trouble

So, how many of you guys checked out my very first completion, my F-18E Superbug that I completed a few months ago?

This is my second "official" model, the Italeri F-22 Raptor.

I must say that this kit is not very suitable for beginners. I had plenty of trouble with the fit, the paint guide is not specific and gives bad FS numbers, and the instructions are unclear. Would have been great, except F-22 is so much classified it's hard to find online photos of how the thing is supposed to look.

Photos of what it looks like now:

IMG_3648.jpg

Yes, this is indeed only my second model, so I am still dry brushing the entire thing :whistle:

But notice that HUGE crack between the forward and aft fuselage...I have absolutely no idea how to fix it...I think I might just take some glue and try to fill it that way because I have never had to deal with such a huge gap before.

The underside:

IMG_3649.jpg

What the weapons bays look like so far. I couldn't find any detail photos of this area, so I just stuck with the instructions with a flat white paint. Even though I knew that the launch rail was silver or some shade of gray

IMG_3651.jpg

The forward intake parts were extremely difficult to fit into that area and I was forced to use cyanoacrylate for that area. It was also the first time I was forced to chip off a considerable portion of the piece so that it wouldn't jut out to the side.

IMG_3652.jpg

The main weapons bays was extremely hard to put together...the instructions say nothing about how the doors are attached to each other. Thank goodness for my own instinct and after a couple of tries and failed gluing attempts I finally got it.

So I heard this model was the very first F-22 kit to come out. If that is so, it's really a pretty nice job. But I think I may have to go with Academy or Hasegawa for my next F-22 model. I especially want Academy's F-22 because of the WA squadron tail code.

So far it has been a very fun model to build. Yeah, instructions suck, but part of the fun of building models is figuring stuff out yourself :woot.gif:

Also if any of you are wondering, the colors I used were Model Master Light Ghost Gray (FS36375 / MM1728), Testors Flat Gray (1163) and I will be using Gunship Gray (FS36118) for the dark splotches.

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to finding out how this one turns out.

Jerry

The Italeri F-22 was the first aircraft model I ever made (albeit in 1/72 scale). For the gap in the upper fuselage, I would suggest gluing some stretched sprue along it and then sand it flush with the surface. This has the advantage of being less messy than filler or putty and won't shrink as it dries.

Looking good so far, it must take up a bit of space in 48th!! :)

Yes, that is a trench you got there. Good suggestion to use stretched sprue, but be sure the piece or section you stretch is solid and not the typical hole in the middle. Areason is when stretched, there will still be a hole like a tube, so when you sand it you will have to fill again. You could also use super glue by getting a yogurt container or similar plastic lid, put a dab of talcum powder on it, and mix with super glue until you have a paste. Then fill the trench with it before it hardens. If you would like to save the detail or panel lines next to it, you can put masking tape along the sides before you sand. You did well in painting the flat white bays, good coverage!

And not sure it is your interest, but I strongly suggest you purchase the Revell-Monogram 1/48 F-15E Strike eagle for your next build. With minimal effort, you can get maximum results with it-one nice kit. You did pick a difficult poorly engineered kit, but looks really nice so far. especially for your second build!

Jonny give me a PM with your address. I have a perfect gift for you on your venture to create perfect models. If you pay for shipping which wouldnt be more than about 15 bucks as long as your in the states, I have an Iwata Revolution airbrush and a compressor you can have. It works great but it doesnt have a regulator and the airbrush needs a new tip for it. What I have would easily cost you 400 dollars brand new but if you want it its yours. I am buying new tools for the trade and do not need it anymore. As far as the F-22 I cant believe you painted that thing with a brush. I cannot get those results no matter how hard I try. It really is looking great and I hope with this learning experiance it drives you to build more models.

Thanks for the replies.

MiG Mongoose, I never collected 1/72 scale, although my brother has a 1/72 A-4 from Tamiya. Compared to that one, yes the F-22 takes up quite some space!

I am actually not to familiar on how to "stretch a sprue", since the plastic looks pretty hard and rigid. Hmmm, maybe I could take a stretch from one of the trees, and chip it down until it fits in there. Could be a possibility. The super glue and talcum powder combinations sounds good, but I think I am just going to be very careful and fill it with model cement or a hot glue gun (would it melt the plastic?). But thanks for the idea of covering the adjacent sides with masking tape.

Thanks for recommending the Revell F-15! My brother built one, and I actually already have decals from TwoBobs for a F-15E. I'm looking forward to it being my next build and I'll be sure to create a thread for it!

Devilleader501, thank you for the offer. But right now I am extremely busy in school. I don't want to bluntly "reject" your offer (because $15 fo $400 regular is an amazing deal) but I really feel I won't have the time to really be able to learn all the tricks and edges with an airbrush. Right now, I have quite a bit of experience with dry brushing and how to avoid brush strokes.

Thank you for your offer and also your kind compliment.

Jerry

Worst of luck! I was out in LA today and I left the window open as usual but there was a very strong breeze that toppled something right onto my Raptor...now the nose gear has collapsed as well as the forward gear pistons...I fixed the pistons and they look okay but the nose gear looks like it's turning to port....oh I am so mad

Recipe for stretched sprue:

1 piece of sprue

1 lighter or candle.

Heat sprue with frame from lighter/candle without burning it til it feels soft. Best recommended to heat the middle section, so once soft you can pull from both ends without burning your fingers. Now you got a piece of stretched sprue.

BTW, "dry brushing" is a totally different technique whatsoever to what you think you're doing. Usually used for detailing and other advanced stuff. What you're doing is simply "brush painting".

Edited by Inquisitor

Thank you for the information Inquisitor. I'll try to obtain a lighter sometime and try it.

The F-22 is pretty much all done now. Just need to get another can of Flat Gray to finish the overalls and the Gunship Gray for the splotches. I have decided to not have it carry any armament simply because the thick white paint completely filled in the holes where the pylons were supposed to go :bandhead2:

Hmm I never thought about the term "dry brushing" but when I heard it I immediately assumed it meant brush painting. Thank you for that info.

Jerry

Edited by Jonny2174

So my next step, I decided I am going to attach all 4 pylons to the underside of the aircraft. The Italeri model did not come with external fuel tanks, but I am adding the 2 and 3 pylons anyways. I'm not adding the JDAMs cuz I want to save them for future models.

I've seen a few photos where F-22 carries sidewinders or AMRAAMs (I can't tell which one it is, I think the latter) on the 1 and 4 pylons, but I think I am going to leave my 1 and 4 pylons empty as well.