Modelling mistakes and disasters

(Just thought I'd post this and see where the discussion would lead.)

As I was working on my current project, and dealing with the issues inherent in a limited run kit, it suddenly struck me that I am making the same mistake, and I do the same thing wrong from 35 years ago, as I do today. Yes, it caused me to ask - "am I a better modeller?" The answer, (I think) is yes!, I read, follow anticipate and work through the build and especially the finish of the final product. But ..however it struck me today that when I was 9, the following would occur:

- didn't read the instructions closely,

- didn't spend that extra 30 seconds on "that" joint,

- making the paint dry faster by just staring at it and not just letting it dry properly,

- "just knowing" that the next decal will not break up in seconds.. like the last one did..knowing that in my closet is a can of decal bonder..

- and finally, seeing all of the above in the model.

so 35 years later, I can usually fix the error and hide the mistakes.. but the same aforementioned things still happen...

Does it happen to you?

Being an OCD near-perfectionist, I'll fiddle and fiddle and fiddle and fiddle with something trying to get it just right, when it was already good enough for no one else to notice anything wrong with it, until it is completely messed-up near-beyond repair. I've learned to recognize and accept the signs, however, and will step away and allow things to settle before I go back to it... Or just tell myself,"Perfection is the enemy of good enough," and leave it well enough alone.

Being an OCD near-perfectionist, I'll fiddle and fiddle and fiddle and fiddle with something trying to get it just right, when it was already good enough for no one else to notice anything wrong with it, until it is completely messed-up near-beyond repair. I've learned to recognize and accept the signs, however, and will step away and allow things to settle before I go back to it... Or just tell myself,"Perfection is the enemy of good enough," and leave it well enough alone.

+1

Rob

My biggest problem is that I don't have much patience. Modeling is my therapy for that.

However, I'm guilty of the above as well. I read somewhere on the forums where someone advised to stop just before "just right".

There is a rapidly decreasing margin between "Almost perfect" and "oh crap!".

Edited by dmk0210

I make two mistakes all the time:

I don't spend enough time dry-fitting parts, so I spend too much time filling gaps.

I'm lazy and don't spend enough time filling seams.

Ditto. Nuff said. :bandhead2:

Or just tell myself,"Perfection is the enemy of good enough," and leave it well enough alone.

Hence my signature line "Perfection is a goal never and achievement" I've come to understand and learn no matter how great a build it is, it'll never be perfect. So I've come to accept when it looks fine to me, move on...though not all times equal. Some take longer to be fine that others :whistle: . In this day of "shake and bake" kits, we sometimes expect a problem free build, though as kit's age there is a lot more shaking and more baking. Therefore requiring more effort to get it right, no gaps, or steps and as close to the real article as a scale model can be.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

My biggest problem is that I don't have much patience. Modeling is my therapy for that.

This is me exactly. Although my patience will still wear thin while modeling and I'll botch a job by rushing.

This happens most frequently near the end.

20 years or so ago, I found out that my bad temper ruined quite a lot in my life. When things went wrong, I'd go apeshit. Never against people, always against things. Throwing stuff around, thrashing stuff I was working on... You get the general idea. And as I've got quite a bit of physical strength, it dawned on me that people got scared of me. And I was constantly annoyed about things I couldn't change anyway. It wasn't easy, but I'm lucky to have been able to turn this around. I'm feeling a lot happier now, and now I'm able to build a model, without smashing it up half way. So I'd have to say I've changed quite a lot since the first time around. What has changed for the worse, is my ability to finish a model. As a kid, there was no way I'd chuck it in half way. And now it tends to be so that at some point, I see so many things that aren't just right, or things I know I won't get right, and I just put it back in the box, and start something different.

Oh well, another point to work at :P

Well, two things, really:

1. Attention span: I often find it hard to keep my interest in a building project. So half-way or two-thirds into a build it often gets abandoned...

2. Being a bit chaotic my workspace gets more and more cluttered during a build so that I often have no more than 10 inches by 10 inches to work in. A friend of mine is much neater and the effect is visible in the end results. My stuff tends to look somewhat more "tatty" than his...

Well this is where my signature comes in handy and ive learned the hard way growing up on a boat that "If it aint broken DONT fix it"

one of the things that i do alot is work on my model late at night when im more accident prone!!

Edited by Neo