Yay.

Overall geometry is more accurate than ESCI with correct panel lines, nose profile etc.

Small parts are somewhat crude, but taken into account the short run nature of the kit are acceptable.

Greetings!

Pin and Ken, thanks for your responses! It looks like I'll have to get a few of these.

If you ever get to Beijing and are going up to see The Great Wall, be sure to stop at the museum at Datang Shan. You'll see a number of Li-2 examples there, including 4 bladed propeller and cold weather louvered models.

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

:D, Hello Dakota Roo,

If you're after the Amodel Antonov twins have a look at www.scale-model-kits.com/index.php They have all the Amodel kits listed although some are out of stock at the moment. Their prices are also a bit lower than Hannants so maybe that would be a source for you.

I'd also like to see them upscale their Polish built Antonovs to the one true scale and also their DHC-5 Buffalos.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, Hello Dakota Roo,

If you're after the Amodel Antonov twins have a look at www.scale-model-kits.com/index.php They have all the Amodel kits listed although some are out of stock at the moment. Their prices are also a bit lower than Hannants so maybe that would be a source for you.

I'd also like to see them upscale their Polish built Antonovs to the one true scale and also their DHC-5 Buffalos.

Ross.

Amen to that. I wouldn't even mind if they decided to take on the DHC-6 Twin Otter and the Sukhoi S-80. Hell, I'd encourage it.

Thanks, Ross...I'll look into it. I have found ModelsUA and HobbyTerra, both sources of Amodel kits as prices far below the typical. Of course, they have to ship them from eastern Europe, but still, the prices are near decent. I have obtained an Eastern Express An-74, but I'm almost afraid to open it and dry fit, for fear I'll find out how shoddy it really is.

:D, Well Dakota Roo,

With the Eastern Express An-74 you'll have to do plenty of dry fitting and sanding etc but apart from that it's not a bad kit; plenty of detail etc; the ramp and door can even be made to open and close and if you want you could rescribe the panel lines. The main areas of concern in that kit are the unsersides of the engine nacelles and the wing to fuselage joint. The wing to fuse joint in particular has to sanded down quite a bit to get it right. The wing as it's moulded stands quite a bit proud of the top of the fuselage. The first one I built I just built up the joint with putty but the next one I build I'll do the job properly and sand it down. I have about 6 of these kits in the Toko iteration in the stash to be done sometime in the future, probably when I retire.

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford

If you ever get to Beijing and are going up to see The Great Wall, be sure to stop at the museum at Datang Shan. You'll see a number of Li-2 examples there, including 4 bladed propeller and cold weather louvered models.

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Li-2

day02_037.jpg

Li-2

day02_046.jpg

DC-3

day02_047.jpg

C-47

day02_048.jpg

Ken

Greetings!

Ah, those photos bring back memories...... I advise that anyone who visits Beijing visit The Great Wall first, otherwise you may never get around to it! Datang Shan is so fascinating that you might not be able to tear yourself away.

In addition to the Li-2/DC-3/C-47 aircraft, they have examples of the An-2, Cessna light aircraft, Ty-16 Badger with Cyrillic writing in the bomb bay, Beriev Be-6 (in a pond setting with beaching gear no less!), Ty-124, Il-12, Il-62, Il-18, HS Trident, Convair 240, Viscount, An-12, C-46, MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-19, MiG-21, Ty-4 Bull, ORBIS DC-8-21, and on and on.......... You could spend a few days there and take 2,000+ photos easily.

The groundskeeping/lawn mowing staff consists of a herd of sheep, so watch your step for their scat!

Note the 4 bladed prop models of Li-2, something hardly mentioned in the Gordon book on the Li-2, and also the louvers for cold weather operations.

I spent two days there and wished I could have spent even more time.

Regards,

Jeff Jarvis

Edited by Jeff Jarvis

Just to whet your appetite.......

Li-2 at Park Pobed (Victory Park), Moscow......

day2_046.JPG

Ken

Wow, Flankerman...I don't remember seeing that there in 2004. Maybe it was away for maintenance, or something. I would have been awe-struck, had I seen it.