Today (2nd April) marks the 30th Anniversary of the start of the Falklands conflict.

Please, no politics. Just a thread to mark the occasion and to honour the 255 British and 650 Argentinian servicemen, plus 3 civillians, who lost their lives in the conflict.

:salute:

Vince

One of my first thoughts was to find out if there was a kit of a Bedford 4 Tonne truck, as used by NP8901. Note the Royal Navy plates. I think the model is an "MK" type and is available now in 1/72 and 1/35.

RoyalNavybedfordfalklands1982.jpg

Edited by scooter

Today (2nd April) marks the 30th Anniversary of the start of the Falklands conflict.

Please, no politics. Just a thread to mark the occasion and to honour the 255 British and 650 Argentinian servicemen, plus 3 civillians, who lost their lives in the conflict.

Vince

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

A tragic impact on over 900 families lives who lost loved ones. Nor should we forget those service personel and civilians who survived but carry the scars of the conflict.

Ian

RB.. GW and all my mates off the Conveyor, hope things are good if you are reading this...

TonyT

Scooter the truck is an MK this was the RL

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=14&subcategory=234&product=1754

This is the MK

http://www.asam.co.uk/gal34a.html

You can get the MK in 1/24!

http://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

Edited by TonyT

As Argentine I wish to honour those who lost their lives from both sides.

I found an interesting sentence wrote in the URL home page of a Argentine Veteran:

"Wars are made by goverments and we, the ordinary people, have to fight them"

http://www.viajemalv...ar/engindex.php

Bye for now...

Edited by El pibe vitina

There was a funny news story from the conflict. A concerned Dad that I can only describe as a "hippy" had big fears of a nuclear conflict in the Northern hemisphere. He studied the globe for a place to live as far away from the nothern hemisphere as he could get in hopes of finding an englisht speaking country somewhere. He wanted a peaceful little backwater place that would be 100% uninvolved in a nuclear conflict. He discovered the Falkland Islands and with great joy moved himself, his wife and two young kids there.....6 months before the islands were invaded.

I recall him being interviewed by the news reporters.....the poor guy had a look of utter disbelief at his bad luck and poor timing.

I was at RAF Odoius at the time, serving on Chinooks, as you can imagine it was interesting times, spares were short and new Chinooks straight off the boat from the factory were literally being robbed of parts to use as spares, additionally a lot of mods were hastily being installed RWR etc, most of the boxes simply strapped to the floor under the fwd seats. Other stuff was happening, we had a Harrier turf up and tests were carried out to use a Chinook to provide ground power for the Harriers. Additionally plans were under the way to bring the Wessex home from NI and replace them with Puma, so the Wessex could go south as they would have commonality with the Navies Cabs, but that got scrubbed.. The Herc fleet was busy so I seem to remember the Armies change over in NI was carried out by Chinook to allow the Herc fleet to prioritise tasking for the war.

Can't believe it's been 30 yrs. I remember seeing it as kid.

I can't believe it's been 30 years.... I remember seeing it as a college student! I was at AFROTC field camp at Plattsburg AFB during most of the major combat ops. We got daily intel updates. Like it was yesterday!

There was a funny news story from the conflict. A concerned Dad that I can only describe as a "hippy" had big fears of a nuclear conflict in the Northern hemisphere. He studied the globe for a place to live as far away from the nothern hemisphere as he could get in hopes of finding an englisht speaking country somewhere. He wanted a peaceful little backwater place that would be 100% uninvolved in a nuclear conflict. He discovered the Falkland Islands and with great joy moved himself, his wife and two young kids there.....6 months before the islands were invaded.

I recall him being interviewed by the news reporters.....the poor guy had a look of utter disbelief at his bad luck and poor timing.

Man, that shouldn't be funny...but it's hilarious!! Serves him right.... :lol:

I've been reading about the A-4 sorties flown by Argentinean pilots in the conflict in an issue of "Wings of Fame". I must say, while the Argentineans were outgunned in air to air and were at a disadvantage having to fly long distances, they are probably some of the gutsiest pilots I have EVER read about. Sure we all remember stories of John Waldron's Hornet Torpedo 8 squadron at Midway and how they all flew to their deaths (save one, Ensign George Gay). But what makes those stories more heard about is that they were on the winning side. The Argentineans who fought were no less brave, but were not victors in conflict and many ended up dead. Kind of reminds me of the line from Bridges of Toko Ri... "Where do we get such men?"

I've been reading about the A-4 sorties flown by Argentinean pilots in the conflict in an issue of "Wings of Fame". I must say, while the Argentineans were outgunned in air to air and were at a disadvantage having to fly long distances, they are probably some of the gutsiest pilots I have EVER read about. Sure we all remember stories of John Waldron's Hornet Torpedo 8 squadron at Midway and how they all flew to their deaths (save one, Ensign George Gay). But what makes those stories more heard about is that they were on the winning side. The Argentineans who fought were no less brave, but were not victors in conflict and many ended up dead. Kind of reminds me of the line from Bridges of Toko Ri... "Where do we get such men?"

Jay you will find this thread fascinating as their are posts from both sides including declassified Argentinian documents as to what was or was not known intelligence wise

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/479504-falklands-most-daring-raid.html