Question on Vector resin engines

I'm thinking about getting a couple of those lovely resin PW-1820 radial engines from Vector for my Tracker build (http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/american.htm). My question is - all of Vector's products have fully detailed rear sections. How are you supposed to install these? It almost looks like I will have to either build a mounting frame or take a razor saw and cut off all the great detail (which will never be seen anyway) and superglue the engine to the kit's bulkhead.

Just seems like a bit of a waste.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of those lovely resin PW-1820 radial engines from Vector for my Tracker build (http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/american.htm). My question is - all of Vector's products have fully detailed rear sections. How are you supposed to install these? It almost looks like I will have to either build a mounting frame or take a razor saw and cut off all the great detail (which will never be seen anyway) and superglue the engine to the kit's bulkhead.

My thoughts exactly. Get the Verlinden 1820 instead and it is much more user friendly and a lot less money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/resin-P-W-R820-52-Radial-Engine-Dauntless-1-48-Verlinden-VP-VLS-1096-/251031112372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a729ecab4

Edited by Otto

Get the Verlinden 1820 instead and it is much more user friendly and a lot less money.

...and the most important thing it not from the "Soviet Union".

I'm thinking about getting a couple of those lovely resin PW-1820 radial engines from Vector for my Tracker build (http://www.neomega-r...or/american.htm). My question is - all of Vector's products have fully detailed rear sections. How are you supposed to install these? It almost looks like I will have to either build a mounting frame or take a razor saw and cut off all the great detail (which will never be seen anyway) and superglue the engine to the kit's bulkhead.

Vector engines not made for specific kit, if it's included into detail set for specific kit, then it has everything needed for proper installation. I do not have Tracker, so I can't help you right now, but if you contact me offboard I think that I would give some advice.

Sergey.

Vector engines not made for specific kit, if it's included into detail set for specific kit, then it has everything needed for proper installation. I do not have Tracker, so I can't help you right now, but if you contact me offboard I think that I would give some advice.

Sergey.

Does Vector provide stock for the pushrods? If not, what do you recommend a builder use?

Pip Moss

Edited by seawinder

Sergey.

Ok Sergey,

Let me get a few minutes to check the kit out and I'll send you a PM.

Regards,

John

Does Vector provide stock for the pushrods? If not, what do you recommend a builder use?

Pip Moss

Stretched sprue would be the obvious choice, IF nothing is provided. Free and readily available.

cheers,

Jason

There is no comparison between the Vector and Verlinden items- Vector engines are absolutely beautiful- the best available. The old Verlinden stuff is dated and IMHO, inaccurate- detail is soft, pushrodes are moulded-in- might as well use the kit styrene engines. Cheaper, yes- but you get what you pay for. I have no affiliation with either company- and own examples of both items for comparison.

For pushrods I use Evergreen round stock- it's easy, inexpensive and consistent in diameter.

Cheers!

chuk

If it is in plain sight and the detail is visible, I agree Vector is absolutely beautiful. For an open cowl presentation there is not much better. If you just want something to place in a closed cowl so you have something behind the propeller better than the OE plastic engine than Verlinden can't be beat. I don't do much building with exposed engines so Verlinden is good enough. Having said that, the r-2800 from Verlinden truly is not to modern standards. On the other-hand the R-1820 and R-2600 are quite beautiful from Verlinden. Who really makes replacement engines that they should be ashamed of, are my fellow countrymen at QuickBoost. Now that is substandard. I am not even sure what some of them are supposed to represent, or for that fact even what scale they are.

Edited by Otto