sheeps on NATO airbase ?

I spent 5 years at 3 (F) Wing Zweibrucken and the sheep were a permanent fixture..they never even looked up from their grazing when a Sabre took-off and when we got the -104s, the same responce..only with more noise.

The sheep, herder and his dogs were all deaf as a stone..but the sheep did not go on any hardened surface.

We only had one incident and that was an F-84 (nationality hidden to protect the guilty) lost a brake while landing and went through a flock of sheep. The farmer was well compensated for loss of life, loss of income for 10 generations of sheep, traumatic compensation and general compensation..and the (XXXXXX) F-84 was quickly repaired and flown home but the techs could not get rid of the smell! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::woot.gif: :woot.gif:

I'll bet that F-84 engine made a quick rendition of a Super Bassamatic 76 on at least some of the sheep. But I imagine the rest of them and their wooly coats kept the rest of the Thunderjet's damage to a minimum (like landing in a pillow!) ;)

You know, if the KGB had been successful in planting miniature cameras on those sheep, they would have learned EVERYTHING they wanted to about fighter strength at NATO air bases. Hmmmmm.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I'll bet that F-84 engine made a quick rendition of a Super Bassamatic 76 on at least some of the sheep. But I imagine the rest of them and their wooly coats kept the rest of the Thunderjet's damage to a minimum (like landing in a pillow!) ;)

You know, if the KGB had been successful in planting miniature cameras on those sheep, they would have learned EVERYTHING they wanted to about fighter strength at NATO air bases. Hmmmmm.

No sheep at Ramstein from 1983-86 when I was there, but I did see a flock in the grass around the trim pad at Decimommannu AB, Sardinia, Italy while we were setting up to do an engine run. When we started the dash 60, the shepard moved the flock away. By the time the engines were running and they were taking them up to mil power the flock was far enough away that the sheep didn't bolt.

Personally, I think those cold war sheep were infiltrated by Rooski Spetznaz special ops with really good disguises.

It's also still a common practice at Vimy Ridge

Mike

I grew up about one kilometer from the vimy ridge and as I kid I was very disapointed when most of the grass area was closed to public and they put the sheep where my friends and I used to play.

But it's probably safer that way.

I could imagine how this would go if I incorporated sheep into my diorama for an IPMS Show.

Judge One:"Well obviously this modeller should not have Norfolk Horn Sheep wandering around the pasture for an Upper Heyford diorama. Those should clearly be Dorsets."

Judge Two: "I think the soil coloring is wrong as well on the sheep's feet. Shouldn't those be Devon Long Wools for Upper Heyford anyway"?

Judge One:"Well, when I read about Upper Heyford on the internet it said the sheeps would be Dorsets"

Judge Two: "I think he used the wrong shade of Vallejo Livestock grey for the wool, too".

Judge One: "That would work for a Derbyshire Gritstone, but definitely not for Dorsets. Maybe for Lakenheath, but not for Upper Heyford."

This has been a funny thread..........definitely enjoyed the information and reading about it.

Regards

:cheers:

Wow! 20 posts and nothing along the lines of "At XXXXXXXXX Air Base we couldn't keep the <insert nationality here> away from the sheep." :whistle:

We went from sheeps to goats about ten years ago. I've seen Iraqis and Afghans with sheep but all the videos I've seen with our service folks have been with goats :wacko:

Edited by fulcrum1

Oh great !!!!

In my idea i would like to use an CF-104 in 80's from RCAF on Baden Sollingen with sheeps , is it good ?

I 've found this pic :

sabre_and_sheep.jpg

stephane

Stéphane

I lived in Baden Sollingen from 1972 to 1976. There were no more sheep left then, so the time period you're talking about wouldn't quite fit. Earlier, there were some, but not from the mid 70s and later.

ALF

Stéphane

I lived in Baden Sollingen from 1972 to 1976. There were no more sheep left then, so the time period you're talking about wouldn't quite fit. Earlier, there were some, but not from the mid 70s and later.

ALF

You are wrong Alf, by that time the sheep had all moved into the PPCLI and RCR barracks. The real purpose for the sheep was so the infantry could have girlfriends. :)

I actually saw sheep in Lahr in the 90s being used for grass removal.

You are wrong Alf, by that time the sheep had all moved into the PPCLI and RCR barracks. The real purpose for the sheep was so the infantry could have girlfriends. :)

I actually saw sheep in Lahr in the 90s being used for grass removal.

Scooby

Can you say Top Secret? We can't let the public know why the grunts were issued boots with velcro in the front!

ALF

I was in Zweibrucken from '62-'67 and the sheep were every where on the airport..except for the paved areas. Alf18 probably found them more attractive than the putzfraus in the barracks :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Barney

Even the guys were more attractive than the putzfraus... Ew!

ALF