Hi everyone

I have had a minor disaster that I need advice on how to fix.

OK, the situation is that I'd spent over a week masking and painting splinter camo on my SU 33, laid on a gloss coat (from a rattle can - Mr Hobby Clear) and waited for it to dry for over a day. I then used the Tamiya panel wash and let that dry.

The problem occurred when I went to wipe off the residue with meths and a cotton bud - the paint rubbed off! Now, I was of the understanding that meths wouldn't affect a lacquer top coat (as I have done in previous builds with no such issues in the past) but I am more than upset with the outcome.

What are my options here to start afresh? I don't want to sand it because it will ruin the surface, so I was wondering what kind of solvent I can use to get off all the paint without ruining the plastic underneath. The paint is Gunze and Tamiya Acrylics.

I was careful to let everything dry rock hard to prevent such a thing, but obviously, I screwed up somewhere, so now I need to fix it. Any suggestions guys?

thanks

MH

Dunno how this catastrophe happened (chemistry never a strong point!) but there are plastic-specific paint strippers available. I have some called 'Modelstrip', which came from Hannants and is supposed to be good for most paint except 'some cellulose, polyurethane and factory finishes'.

I've heard of certain brands of oven-cleaner being used in extremis, but would like to know more about it from someone with direct experience before committing.

Hope you can get this sorted somehow!

Have a look here My link , it provides a few option to remove paint from kits. I have tried the Windex and easy off oven cleaner. Both work well, the easy off works faster. The options listed in the website work without harm to the kit itself.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Darryl

I use Nail Polish Remover (which is basically acetone with various girlie ingredients added), it works a treat. I either drop the part into a tub and clean it off, or brush,dab it onto the model and wipe it off. You need to be careful, as prolonged exposure will melt the plastic, but it really doesn't take long for it to start removing the paint - usually only a few seconds.

Vince

Sounds like the Mr. Hobby Clear is at least partially a true lacquer. Methylated spirits, as you call it, is denatured or methyl alcohol. It is highly aggressive to Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, in fact, you can use it as a stripper, though I wouldn't recommend it, as this is a toxic substance if it is or contains methyl alcohol. It is also highly aggressive to true, alcohol-soluble lacquer, which apparently Mr. Hobby Clear is.

Stripping is easily accomplished with Windex, Simple Green solution, or a solution of water and household ammonia. Oven cleaner is effective, but highly caustic.

I suggest switching to ethyl or isopropyl alcohol as your general purpose solvent of choice. Next time, use water to remove the excess wash, or put an enamel clear over the acrylic, or use an oil wash in odorless mineral spirits which wont attack the lacquer or the acrylics underneath.

that's great help guys - thanks so much. I'll have a crack using the Simple Green trick and/or Windex. Fortunately (or unfortunately - depends on your point of view here) I only have to do the top side. It'll give me a chance to redo the whole top in better colors

This is the first time meths has done this to Mr Hobby.

Methylated spirit will effortlessly strip off Tamiya and Gunze acrylic. I reckon it's the best paint stripper for Tamiya and Gunze acrylic. I even thin both paints with it, without any issues.