Pappy Boyington Corsair

I want to build Pappy's 1/48 Corsair, I'm guessing it is the F4U-1A model and what decal sheet should I use for his Corsair. I read one version of the Corsair; number 86 lulubelle they say was used for publicity shots mainly, so I don't know what other sheet to use. Thanks For your help. Rob

I want to build Pappy's 1/48 Corsair, I'm guessing it is the F4U-1A model and what decal sheet should I use for his Corsair. I read one version of the Corsair; number 86 lulubelle they say was used for publicity shots mainly, so I don't know what other sheet to use. Thanks For your help. Rob

There was an entire thread dedicated to that subject just a few days ago.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=246812

Edited by Otto

Rob, the thread that Otto has mentioned will get you off to a good start. Just be aware that it starts to go a little funny, culminating in an intellectual hairball regarding non specular light aircraft gray.

The main takeaway from it all is Boyington didn't have a specific airplane; by all accounts "Lucybelle" was a prop used solely for photography purposes.

"883", "740", and "915" are the planes we know that Pappy flew.

david

Thanks Guys for the help. I'm assuming it was a F4U-1A Corsair he flew, and where can I get my hands on a decal sheet for this bent wing bird. Rob

It is the Cutting Edge CED48226 sheet that has four of the birds he used including ???Bell

• 6 years later...

So I am going to resurrect this thread with another question about Pappy Boyington's Corsair Japanese Kill markings.  From the attached photo close-up of "Lulubelle", #86, some flags are painted L-R, and other flags are painted R-L.  Any reason why?  R/ Dutch

002.JPG

It was probably only a mistake due to #86 being used as a photo plane for many pilots. Kill stickers were hurriedly added and subtracted to suit the photographers whims and wishes so perhaps a few got placed upside down:

Boyington.jpg

A good example how fancy decorations came into life is the photo showing Gregory "Pappy" Boyington looking out of a F4U Corsair numbered "86" carrying  his name (absolutely no go) and named "Lulu Belle" with a wealth of "kill markings" below  the cockpit. Actually this photo wasn't a quick snapshot by a squadron mate, but well prepared by a professional press man to be shown in a newspaper. Boyington wasn't too enlighted, but gave in at last. So a Corsair no. 86 standing nearby was decorated to the taste of the press man ("the audience wants to see that") and Boyington seated in. In real life neither did he fly a plane no. 86 nor did it carry name and kill markings as  Boyington didn't want to attract attention. What happened to said no. 86 afterwards isn't told, presumably all decorations were removed. By the way: Photos showing a pilot leaning out of the cockpit with his personal score below were made the same way (Japanese flags in the required number were applied by stickers, the pilot seated; afterwards change of stickers, photo of next pilot).

The above quote taken from here:

http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN Markings II/USN Markings II.html

Sounds plausible as I haven't seen other rising sun kills applied in such a way.

Regards,

Don

I did his birdcage Corsair using the 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1 kit and

kit decals. Tamiya is THE kit in either 1/48 or 1/72. The F4U-1A

side number 86 was a "hanger queen" used for publicity pictures.

BTW  side number 915 was his last ride, he was shot down and

picked up at sea by a Japanese sub.---John

YAi671Z.jpg

Edited by john53
3 hours ago, Milo said:

Fundekals has a great sheet with two of Boyington's planes:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_48_72.html

Even if you don't buy them, their instructions alone are a treasure trove of info.  Lucybelle isn't one of the options though.  But that's ok, Scalemates lists some.

This is a Great Sheet! For Corsair fans it's a must. The research put into the sheet is MOST Welcome and the PDF instructions as said are something else!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, Dutch said:

According to Wikipedia, this was Pappy's primary mount. Like Don said, no special squadron or personal markings.

Boyingtons_Corsair.jpg

It was the aircraft that was in his log book the most on his second tour. He took whatever was ready.

All records from the Blacksheeps first tour were lost.