Airfield question

Is there a research or FAQ site for Duxford?

Short of that, my recollect is the dia. is noticeably less than the wingspan. But encompasses the # 1 & 4 prop arcs . That would put max ~90' and min. Over 60 closer tp 75. I think if yo look at some pictures and mark youown observations you should arrive close to anEnglish measurement standard.

The CB HQ has amazingly detaied reconds on a/f construction in SoPac and CENPAC.

These are dispersals located at Rivenhall, a few miles from where I live. Rivenhall was most notably used by a B-26 unit during WWII, but you will find the same pattern and size dispersals at former fighter and heavy bomber airfields:

dispersals.jpg

They are typical of what you will find on many East Anglian airfields. I've tried to put together a quick plan with a scale, but unfortunately the vectors don't translate readily to bitmap:

DiamondDispersal.png

I'll try and post something up more legible when I get a bit more time.

Edit: The scale bar had a glitch, now corrected. :whistle:

peebeep

Edited by peebeep

Earlier today I had google aircraft hardstands thorpe abbotts and got the same geometric patterns with 17s in place. Taxiways looked 75' (25 yd) and diamonds 90' at widest point...same as schematic above is headed. There were also circlular stands, about 100' dia. At the angles in was hardto tell if the 17s' 103' wings were in or over.

As with most things AAF time matters. The earliest BG(H) depolyed with 36 a/c but by '45 had doubled to a TOA OF 72 75 OR MAYBE 80 BY VE dAy. The extra taxiways and harstands most likely differed.

Edited by Phil marchese

I'll see if I can get some data on the Thorpe Abbots Mickey Mouse pattern hardstanding that survives. There are very few of these that can be found. Thorpe Abbots itself was dotted with them, but they are mainly under the plough nowadays.

peebeep

The circular plot is demensioned at the left edge. It looks 2 digit to me and looks like 90. The line continues to mid taxi way and that is very fuzzy but 100 plus. 150 160 180 190. Can you confirm the perimeter nootation oof the dia. Without the key hole part leading to taxiway? Very nice piece of information.

The circular plot is demensioned at the left edge. It looks 2 digit to me and looks like 90. The line continues to mid taxi way and that is very fuzzy but 100 plus. 150 160 180 190. Can you confirm the perimeter nootation oof the dia. Without the key hole part leading to taxiway? Very nice piece of information.

The drawing came out a tad fuzzy, and the image can be misleading, but the standard dimensions written on it are correct:

Pan: 75' Rad.

Approach spur width: 50'

Approach spur "flare" width at taxiway edge: 150'

Approach spur "flare" centreline length from taxiway edge: 50' minimum, 75' normal

Maximum gradient and/or crossfall on dispersal: 1:80

Maximum gradient and/or crossfall on taxiway and dispersal spur: 1:40

Minimum distance from centreline of Taxiway to centre of dispersal: 150'

Minimum distance from edge of concrete for ground to be prepared for possible aircraft movement: 30'

Minimum distance for all obstructions to be cleared from taxiway and dispersal centrelines: 150'

All the best,

PB

Edited by PGB