1/72 Buccaneer kits

Hello, I have taken a long time off of building and am looking to get back in the hobby. I have built just about every 1/48th scale kit offered by Monogram over the years so I am used to a challenge. When I decided to get back in the hobby I settled on building in 1/72 mainly for display purposes. I bought a Revell 1/48 F-18E to get my feet wet and that build is progressing nicely. (Great kit, BTW) Now that I am kind of comfortable with building again I want to get started in my new scale.

So here is my question- I want to start off with a 1/72 Buccaneer. I know about the Airfix kit (and its problems) but is the Czech kit that much of an improvement? In other words, is it $100 better than the Airfix kit? BTW I have some experience in resin from a few Sci Fi kits years ago so resin isn’t a problem. Is there a 3rd kit out there that I do not know about? Thanks!

So here is my question- I want to start off with a 1/72 Buccaneer. I know about the Airfix kit (and its problems) but is the Czech kit that much of an improvement? In other words, is it $100 better than the Airfix kit? BTW I have some experience in resin from a few Sci Fi kits years ago so resin isn’t a problem. Is there a 3rd kit out there that I do not know about? Thanks!

That's one of those questions you need to answer for yourself. CMR Kits are fantastic all around. I've built five of them and loved every single one. One way to consider is the amount of time you would need to put into the airfix kit to get it to look like the CMR kit. You're looking at scratch building exceptional cockpit and landing gear interiors, rescribing the fine exterior surface detail, adding a number of features like air brakes or full weapon set. Personally getting to that stage would take more than ten hours and might even be outside of my skills, which to me means that 100 dollars are well spent. If you're not as concerned with getting the details right, then maybe the airfix kit is right for you.

Thanks guys. Yea, I understand what you mean. I have spent that much before on a kit but I think I will hold off a while before I drop that much on a kit right now. I want to shake the rust off a little before I grasp at that one. I just wanted to hear from someone who had built one of these resin kits before I jumped on that old Airfix kit.

Now I guess I need to know who makes the best 1/72 F-8? I built the ancient 1/72 Revell years ago and it was a good little kit, but is there a better one out there now?

You would need to do a forum search but I seem to remember some posts last year of a sample shot of a new injected molded Buccaneer being shown. Possibly from Dragon.

I don't know the release date, but the sample shots looked promising.

Rodney

• 8 years later...