Has anyone built the Bronco M-24 Chaffee?

Just got this kit in and was wondering if anyone has actually built the kit. Looking for any tips or pitfalls you may know about? I'm going to be building it for a club challenge in November and as an armor builder I am quite challenged myself! I found a reference to a build article in one of the armor modeling magazines but I don't have that... Any other online actual builds that you know about? All I could find was a few in-box reviews...

Just got this kit in and was wondering if anyone has actually built the kit. Looking for any tips or pitfalls you may know about? I'm going to be building it for a club challenge in November and as an armor builder I am quite challenged myself! I found a reference to a build article in one of the armor modeling magazines but I don't have that... Any other online actual builds that you know about? All I could find was a few in-box reviews...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1334163332/Bronco+M24+Chaffee

Hope this helps...

Scott G

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the kit myself but I wanted to finish the Italieri kit I started years ago. Test bed for some new tecnhques I have seen. The Bronco kit does look awesome if somewhat complicated.

TC

Edited by Tankcommander
  • 1 month later...

For anyone interested, Bronco fixed the turret problem that was in the original early US version release in the new British version kit. They are also selling the corrected turret as a separate part for owners of the original release (would be better if it were free, but at only $2, it's better than Dragon that just correcst parts in later kits and leaves the owners of the first releases hanging).

Revised turret:

http://store.spruebrothers.com/135-bronco-revised-m-24-chaffee-light-tank-early-turret-35069sp-p32186.aspx

Problem with original (about halfway down page)

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/bronco/cb35069.html

I'm in process of building it. Great kit and can be built in only 42 steps, quite an accomplishment for Bronco compared to their other kits like Buffalo MRAP that took over 70 steps just to finish assembly!

You have to be very careful building running gear, fully workable wheels and shocks don't align well if not mated to the hull before painting. I kept separate sub assemblies to ease application of pigments and when assembled quickly found out that the road wheels didn't form an even straight rows. Ended up gluing everything shut with extra thin CA. <_<