Hasegawa 1/48 A-4C Skyhawk

Hello all.

Not much time for modeling nowadays (or anything else for that matter) but I did manage to complete 2 kits that were started ages ago.

This A-4C was started about 5 years ago and languished in the "I really need to finish this" pile for far too long.

A heartfelt THANK YOU goes to Eric2020 and CraigSargent without whose help this would probably never have been finished.

Model is the Hasegawa A-4C with decals by Victory.

The Victory decals depict this aircraft after its return to the US from a deployment to Vietnam.

I wanted to model it as seen during that deployment so I printed the diamonds on the rudder and USS HANCOCK titles myself and also painted the big diamonds on the fuel tanks.

Not sure these markings are totally correct but I like the look of them anyway :D

Added a pilot figure from a Monogram kit, a TER and MK82s from Hasegawa again.

Great little kit, the detail and fit are superb.

hope you like.

STA60013.jpg

STA60009.jpg

STA60007.jpg

STA60005.jpg

STA60004.jpg

STA60001.jpg

STA60015.jpg

STA60010.jpg

Edited by Dndieje

Beautiful A-4C you have there my friend. I need to get ahold of one of these kits for my father. He served in the Marines during Vietnam and I would love to build one for him. I never knew a jet had a windshield whiper. lol I have never noticed that on an A-4 before. I love the markings. One off that noone else has done is always best in my book. Great job my friend.

This is a beautiful build. There is some particularly excellent decal work in some very difficult places.

Can you tell me how you got the airbrakes to fit? I have a few of these kits and I'm not sure what to do to them because they don't have the same curve as the fuselage.

Can you tell me how you got the airbrakes to fit? I have a few of these kits and I'm not sure what to do to them because they don't have the same curve as the fuselage.

Thanks for your kind words !

The airbrakes are certainly the "weakest" fit of the whole kit because, as you say, they don´t curve with the fuselage.

As you can see I didn`t manage to get mine flush either.

With hindsight it would have been better to keep them open but you can also remove the plastic that makes up the inside of the airbrake in the fuselage.

That will leave you with a hole in the fuselage making it easier to position the brakes (they are a very tight fit) from the inside .

If you leave them slightly "sticking out" of the fuselage it is easy enough to sand them flush.

Hope this helps.

Great build Frans!

The Scooter is one of my favourite A/C. The twisted point of the star in the round panel is a nice touch indeed!

This particular aircraft was lost during a landing accident with other A-4C on USS Midway in 1964.

Hope my Hasegawa Scooters will look too fine as yours.

Congratulations!

• 2 months later...

Hello all.

Model is the Hasegawa A-4C with decals by Victory.

The Victory decals depict this aircraft after its return to the US from a deployment to Vietnam.

I wanted to model it as seen during that deployment so I printed the diamonds on the rudder and USS HANCOCK titles myself and also painted the big diamonds on the fuel tanks.

Not sure these markings are totally correct but I like the look of them anyway :D

Added a pilot figure from a Monogram kit, a TER and MK82s from Hasegawa again.

There are no photos with the article. How do you get those?