First time attempting a tank build but before I start ...

Any physical differences between the T-55 and the Type 59 (Chinese copy of T-54)?

Edited by Jack Bogart

There are some differences to note, the un-trained eye won't notice that, but the Type 59 looks more like a T-54. Now, the "changes" to make to a T-55 are:

1.- Add the "mushroom" fan on the turret roof (like a T-54's)

2.- The two hatches for accessing the engine (just behind the turret) are smaller and different-shaped (again, like T-54's or Polish-produced T-55)

3.- At the rear part, there should be two tiny diamond-shaped covers just behind the left radiator grill.

4.- There is a bulge in the lower right part of the rear plate, I think it is for a bigger cooling fan, it looks like T-62's bulge. I read somewhere that those chinese T-54 copies received some parts copied from a T-62.

Here you can see both the two diamond-shaped covers (top left of the tank's rear) and the bulge (bottom right):

Type59_00.jpg

The tank in the picture is an Iraqi Type 59-I, I think. Hope this helps. Best regards.

*EDIT* The tank in the picture is indeed a Type 69. For a Type 59, just consider points 1 and 2. If you want something a little bit "different", try building a Type 69 as the Type 59 looks like an ordinary T-54. There are more Type 69 walkarounds out there.

José.

Edited by Zero Enna

Thanks José~!

I'll just build my T-55 as it is without any modifications however I'm stuck with another problem. I've seen many variants and pictures from the web but I can't stick my finger into that "hole" ...

ARCers, which T-55 looks better? Not by abilities but by looks, color, style, etc.? Any ideas will be nice.

Edited by Jack Bogart
  • 4 months later...

Kind of on a related note, how good is the Tamyia T-55 kit, especially for someone who hasn't built a tank in almost 10 years.

The magazines liked it. The biggest gripe I saw was the lack of fuel and oil lines between and from the external tanks.

It still is a good kit. I personally liked it; so much that I'm having trouble deciding which operator I should apply onto my tank. Should I make it Polish, Cuban, Syrian, or Soviet (in case no conversion)?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody figured out a good (ie: easy) way to change the angle of the gun barrel on the Tamiya T-55? I want it raised rather higher than the kit has it. A blob of epoxy putty for the canvas boot?? I'm not a great sculptor..

Anybody figured out a good (ie: easy) way to change the angle of the gun barrel on the Tamiya T-55? I want it raised rather higher than the kit has it. A blob of epoxy putty for the canvas boot?? I'm not a great sculptor..

Mig has an elevated mantlet with canvas cover. There is one on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIG-1-35-Soviet-T-55-Elevated-Position-Gun-Mantlet-for-Tamiya-kit-/271053785006?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3f1c1087ae

MIG-MP35148_LRG.jpg

• 1 year later...