lets talk about "string bags"

I finally got my hands on the new 1/72 Airfix Swordfish over the weekend. Wow what a kit! A gazillion parts on a little bitty airplane. But after loking over the instructions, I can find no data for doing the rigging on it! There's absolutely nothing except for the box art, and who knows if that's even accurate. Anybody here got a rigging diagram for one? Also in 1/72; what's the best material to rig it with? Was thinking about 8x fly line leader material or something even smaller.

gary

I finally got my hands on the new 1/72 Airfix Swordfish over the weekend. Wow what a kit! A gazillion parts on a little bitty airplane. But after loking over the instructions, I can find no data for doing the rigging on it! There's absolutely nothing except for the box art, and who knows if that's even accurate. Anybody here got a rigging diagram for one? Also in 1/72; what's the best material to rig it with? Was thinking about 8x fly line leader material or something even smaller.

gary

Congrats. sounds like a lot of fun ahead.

Re: rigging material; I did hear of one modeler that used Black Widow Spider web "silk". This material has enormous strength to weight ratio as it was used in WWII bomb sites, so it would work great for rigging.

Biggest problem is, training the Black Widow to go just where you need her to, but once your over that little hump you should be gold. 4346fefe.gif

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure what it's like but I was looking at getting some of this superfine thread for rigging.

Looking at the Orvis book, I see that thread is equal in diameter to 7x fly line tippet material. 6x is about .005" in diameter (some brands are .004"), and is very common. Have never seen 7x in a shop, but have seen 8x (.004" dia.) before. Fluorocarbon maybe slightly thinner in diameter, and is harder. I'd go with the standard stuff. Some folks use Lycra thread, but so far is been hard to find in small diameters for me anyway. Nice thing about fly line leader is that you can paint it with a Sharpie.

gary

I still find by far the easiest to use material for rigging (and the most durable) is good old invisible sewing thread. Available in several colors, and it can be colored with a black Sharpie marker or with paint as needed. It's especially useful for 1/72 stuff like this.

I still find by far the easiest to use material for rigging (and the most durable) is good old invisible sewing thread. Available in several colors, and it can be colored with a black Sharpie marker or with paint as needed. It's especially useful for 1/72 stuff like this.

Yes...I would think that embroidery floss....aka silk thread...would be adequate in most cases. How to get it taut is what I don't know.

ETA: Wait...if I stretch it and coat it with a cement....allow to dry stiff....cut to size and glue in place. Is that how it's done?

I was surprised at how large the gauge of the cabling really is.

I, too, have the new Airfix Swordfish. I'm a bit intimidated...I'll probably assemble the Mosquito first.

Edited by Dakota Roo