F-15C Digital Flanker Masking Advice

So I'm about to start working on my new project, a 1/32nd F-15C Aggressor with Two Bobs Digital Flanker Decals. I'm looking for a little advice on how I should approach masking off the different shapes for the camouflage and thought I'd try and see if anybody had some tips. Should I paint the whole thing white (lightest color) first, and then mask off the blue and gray sections with masking tape? Would masking each section separately work starting with white, then blue, and finally grey work? Or would blowing up the decal instruction sheet to 1/32nd scale and then cutting out masks from that be a better route?

Thanks

Dan

Just painted mine, thought about it for a while but started with the aggressor grey, then built up the camo in layers based on the less complicated shape patterns presented . For me it was blues then grey/whites then more blues and last grey/whites. Worked out fine apart from some overspray on last run and will have to re-mask the now more complicated shapes!

It is worthy of note that you do have to lightly sand the edges of the masked painted shapes prior to next colour to eliminate ridges in the next colour run!:-)

B

Thanks for your thoughts everybody, overall do you think its best to use thing strips of masking tape to mark of the shapes, or cut out masks after enlarging the decal instructions? I'm leaning towards tape as I've found large masks from paper to be difficult to apply to the curved surfaces of the plane

Or you could wait about a day or so and order the Steel Beach masking set from Sprue Brothers. I dropped them off this weekend and they should go up on the site sometime this week. There are 45 separate vinyl pieces. It was quite a project to do, but it will make life extremely easy. The set contains two full 8.5 x 11 sheets of vinyl with precut pieces. I can't wait to build an F-15 and use this set.

Edit: Just saw that you're doing it in 1/32. I've thought about releasing the mask in 1/32, but it would require 4-5 sheets of vinyl. That's $25 cost just in vinyl. I'd have to charge almost $50 to even make any money. I don't think anyone is going to go for that. Here's what I could do. If you PM me your email address, I can send you the pattern outlines. You could print them out and then enlarge them on a copier to 1/32 scale. That way you wouldn't have to deal with coming up with the shapes. They would already be done for you.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Or you could wait about a day or so and order the Steel Beach masking set from Sprue Brothers. I dropped them off this weekend and they should go up on the site sometime this week. There are 45 separate vinyl pieces. It was quite a project to do, but it will make life extremely easy. The set contains two full 8.5 x 11 sheets of vinyl with precut pieces. I can't wait to build an F-15 and use this set.

Edit: Just saw that you're doing it in 1/32. I've thought about releasing the mask in 1/32, but it would require 4-5 sheets of vinyl. That's $25 cost just in vinyl. I'd have to charge almost $50 to even make any money. I don't think anyone is going to go for that. Here's what I could do. If you PM me your email address, I can send you the pattern outlines. You could print them out and then enlarge them on a copier to 1/32 scale. That way you wouldn't have to deal with coming up with the shapes. They would already be done for you.

Darren - are these in 1/72 as well as 1/48th?