I am currently working on an 1/48 Eduard Mig-21, trying to replicate this one I saw at Frank Pais International Airport in Holguin, March 2011. I believe this plane may be a 'BIS', but the kit I ordered is the 'MF' - to me they look the same, I am just hoping for something that looks like this plane. The hard part is trying to get colors to match the camo pattern. This kit is quite detailed, I am enjoying Tango's build quite a bit, but mine will be no where near as good as his. I thought I might have some decals by now, but I might have to try & make them.

DaveT

Mig-21_658.jpg

Here are some more pictures of my build, this model seems to keep going & going, lots of parts to it. I should have more closely followed Tango's build, he had some really good tips in his build that I did not pick up at first.

I count 6 different colors of green on this plane, but I just used a bright green for wheels, dielectric panels and nose.

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

IMG_9800.jpg

Here is the 4 main camo colors. I am not really happy with the color selection I made. How do you guys make custom colors to match a 1:1 plane? I would like a different color for the lighter green color, can anyone suggest a color for that, more of an olive drab color? Also, I did not replicate the pattern of the real plane, which was hard with so many main colors. If I had used pencil to outline the pattern, would that have shown through the paint? I tried yellow tac, but that was just too clumsy with the small sections.

IMG_9801.jpg

I think it looks a little better outdoors light

IMG_9802.jpg

Another pic of real plane...

Mig-21_658_right_side.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the final pictures of my Cuban Mig-21. This was a comprehensive kit, lots of details. A few small parts flew into the unknown, and I did struggle with the photoetch details like the triple antenna (how do you file off the burrs and keep the parts nice & straight?). I did not have any decals for this kit, so I made an attempt to paint the number, roundel, and rudder, which turned out better than I thought, but I will wait for decals if I ever do another kit! I did not see any stencils on the real plane I was trying to do, so the only decals on this kit are the missle and rocket launcher. It was fun to be part of a group build!

IMG_9825.jpg

The finished model, with a couple souvenirs from Cuba !

IMG_9823.jpg