Really old Revell 1/32 Spitfire MK1

Ok, so I got this really old (can tell by the nearly deteriorated instructions c.1967, and equally musty smelling kit) off of E-vil Bay, wasnt even in the correct box. I thought I would use this for another project, but too much modifying was involved. So I decided I would build it as run of the mill Spitfire. Well last night that changed, as I was looking at the kit, I first wondered if us Americans flew Spits, turns out we did, although probably not the MK1 version. Also wondered "WHAT IF" we had some real cracker jack pilots, that specialized in night flying, very early on in our involvement in the war in Europe. "WHAT IF" they had gotten their hands on some hand me down MK1s and maybe hot rodded them up a bit, and......

Painted them entirely flat black, then added some typical Spitfire camo but did it in Olive Drab, that had been darkened up a bit with some black.

I havent worked out all of the details yet, going to do some research on some available mods say in Summer of '42, maybe 4 bladed prop, maybe extra wing guns, and maybe the addition of drop tank(s) and or some underwing ordinance....I will see what comes of the research.

What I had in mind was low level night missions to strafe and or bomb either airfields or anti-aircraft gun posts. My "Ghost Squadron" would soup up the planes, paint them as mentioned above, and carry a ghost silhouette on the tail and somewhat subdued insignia. Markings, stripes, and squadron identifiers are up in the air thus far, as I dont want to put some on that belonged to actual squadrons. Anyway, on with the build..... My first order of business was a few thumbnail sketches, and some nose art that will tie in with the concept as well as coincide with the Ghost Town Group Build....

Here ya go....

IMAG0767.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

And a bit of a start last night....

IMAG0773.jpg

Got some done last night, as I said this wouldve been a hand-me-down, so I really beat up the paint in the cockpit. Got the fus halves assembled, only to realize I forgot the pilot....so hope I can shoehorn him in now. Also did a final sketch of the nose art, so I can scan it into my sign program to make the decal....I really like the way he came out, I think I will send a copy to my son-in-law who is just about ready to start his Air Force Pilot training in the hopes of being assigned to an F-22...maybe he will want him on his plane (but on a missile instead)....

Thanks again, hope to get more done tonight...

IMAG0788.jpg

IMAG0769.jpg

Enough for tonight. Assembling the wing really showed a huge twist in the left wing, I hope all of the weighting will get it out. This actually a pretty decent model IMHO, the control surfaces have nifty little hinges so they will move, and the main gear in theory will also move. The top of the engine lacks in detail, since the top engine cowlings are not removable, something that wouldve been great additions. ....And the Spitfire just has great lines....

IMAG0801.jpg

Well, its black... :D :D :D ...and I like it!!!

Can you imagine a 109 pilot out on dawn patrol, suddenly he takes gunfire to the left wing, he looks over his left shoulder....

and THIS IS BANKING AWAY!!!!

IMAG0818.jpg

A few more pics before the OD green goes on,

IMAG0817.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

Well its getting there. Few things I need to improve on (as far as my skills {seams, weathering, paint distressing}) wouldve taken this build to the next level. And a few of the decals didnt come out as well as I had hoped. But I really have enjoyed this.

Thanks Phantom for the inspiration.

I still need to finish a bit of the normal assembly, and i dug through my stash and came up with a decent looking fuel tank, and a couple of little bombs, so I will be working on those and getting them placed under the wings.

IMAG0834.jpg

IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0840.jpg

All done...

I took a bit more creative license with the armament, as well as with the belly tank and figured maybe some sort of early aircraft/target intercept radar pod just to the left of the belly tank.

Thanks again for the Ghost Town GB.

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0855.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

IMAG0848.jpg

IMAG0849-1.jpg

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0851-1.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg