Hi everyone! I've decided to join this GB with a kit I've bought long time ago: 1/72 MasterCraft TS-11 "White & Red Iskry".

DSC_0229.JPG

According to WikipediaBialo-Czerwone Iskry ("White-and-Red Sparks") is an aerobatic demonstration team of the Polish Air Forces. Originally formed in 1969 at the 60 Training Wing in Radom under the name Rombik, the team flew four TS-11 Iskras. The team grew to nine pilots between 1993 and 1998 and was rebased to the 1 Air Training Centre in Dęblin. Currently the team flies 7 planes.

I gonna build one of them. BTW this is my first GB so wish me luck ;)

The quality of the kit is pretty poor: plastic is very soft and crispy with plenty of caverns and deformations. Test-fitting proves there's lot's of work to do:

DSC_0228.JPG

Level of detail is disappoints as well, but I hope Part PE will help me with this :) Some photos of the kit parts:

DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

Anyway with notable and colorful markings this aerobatic aircraft should look well in the end, let's get started!

Edited by boney_king

:D, Welcome boney_king,

I have a couple of those TS-11 kits and they do look like quite a bit of work. We'll be watching yours with a lot of interest. There were three of these aircraft brought to Australia back in the late nineties early 2000s and they were based at Canberra Airport (RAAF Base Fairbairn) omn the civil side. I actually had a good look over them in early 2003 when visiting cousins in Canberra. They were painted up in White and Red Sparks colours, but whether they had ever been flown by the team I don't know. Unfortunately I can't rememebr if I took any photos at the time.

:cheers:,

Ross.

• 4 weeks later...

So, here's the next update. The build is moving very slowly but at least it's moving along ;)

Meanwhile I've built the PE cockpit from Part set. These add a very good level of detail (although absolutely anything can be better than this kit :) ):

DSC_0236.JPG

Also I've scratch built instrument panel plates - the ones from the kit are to small for PE parts.

DSC_0302.JPG

I ordered Neomega KK-1 resin seats to replace those from the kit - with some modifications they should be fine for TS-11.

Part provide a nice detail for cockpit walls:

DSC_0301.JPG

Also I had a chance to work on wings. I decided to rescribe all panel lines since OOB they are very blurred and crooked.

DSC_0304.JPG

I use CA glue as a putty to fill the panel lines - it dries fast and easy to scribe on. The upper side is ready and the lower is waiting for it's turn.

DSC_0305.JPG

Also I sanded absolutely horrible grills from the wings and will replace it with PE parts. Also I drilled a hole for a custom-made landing lamp.

That's all for now. The next part is final assembly of the cockpit and painting it. BTW if someone can give a hint a cockpit coloring - that would be great ;) I found some cockpit photos here: http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/poland/ts-11/index.htm but it's still not very clear what color to use.

PS Sorry for dark photos :whistle:

:D, Hi Andrew,

From memory the Iskras at Canberra had medium grey cockpits with black instrument panels and side consoles likethose in the walkarounds. Unfortunately the last time I was in Canberra they weren't visible on the airfield and you now need a special security card to get to where they were parked. At the moment I don't have such a card but should have one by the end of the year. If I go to visit my cousins again I'll go and make some enquiries and see if anyone knows if they are still in Canberra and in one peice. Great work on your model by the way.

:cheers:,

Ross.