E-2C/D Hawkeye Questions

Hey guys, need some help before I start my E-2C build. Got the Kinetic kit with a set of the 8 blade props. My questions are this as I want to build it as a late E-2C/D. Do all the late planes have the "Fez" on top of the radome?Do they all have that big round thing on the belly, guess it's some kind of antenae? What else needs to be added to build a late Hawkeye? Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Chuck

I have some Grumman handouts & PR material form when I supported the E-2C program ast the Navy inventory Control Point Contracting Division. This was 78-81 and I don,t recall the D in the fleet when I moved to a Joint Command. Is you Fez a replacement for the saucer shaped radar? If so then I m not knowledgeable.

If you can boundry your timeframe that might help get replies. Also the two independent 'all' construction of your questions is problematic.

Are you asking if the upper Fez was always paired with a certain lower radar?

If some C/D were configured w/o these; or were there configurations without the paired system components?

Hey guys, need some help before I start my E-2C build. Got the Kinetic kit with a set of the 8 blade props. My questions are this as I want to build it as a late E-2C/D. Do all the late planes have the "Fez" on top of the radome?Do they all have that big round thing on the belly, guess it's some kind of antenae? What else needs to be added to build a late Hawkeye? Thanks for any help.

Chuck

All late model E-2 aircraft do not have the fez antenna (a satellite communications antenna). If you have a model that has the fez and the large belly antenna (a CEC data link antenna) then you have a model of the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 (HE2K). There were 28 built in this configuration between 2001 and 2006. The newest version of the Hawkeye, the E-2D (currently in operational evaluation), has the belly antenna but no fez on the dome.

I spent my Navy caeer flying in Hawkeyes and currently work for Northrop Grumman in the E-2 program so if you have questions about the aircraft please ask. If I can't answer the question I'm sure I can find a reference or someone who can.

Thanks for your interest in this great warbird.

All late model E-2 aircraft do not have the fez antenna (a satellite communications antenna). If you have a model that has the fez and the large belly antenna (a CEC data link antenna) then you have a model of the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 (HE2K). There were 28 built in this configuration between 2001 and 2006. The newest version of the Hawkeye, the E-2D (currently in operational evaluation), has the belly antenna but no fez on the dome.

I spent my Navy caeer flying in Hawkeyes and currently work for Northrop Grumman in the E-2 program so if you have questions about the aircraft please ask. If I can't answer the question I'm sure I can find a reference or someone who can.

Thanks for your interest in this great warbird.

Welcome aboard good friend!

Good to have an E-2 point of contact!

Wow!Many thanks E-2 Bubba! You are the E-2 man! My model has the big CEC data link antenna. It was thrown in by the guy I got the kit from. I've always had a thing for building late model aircraft for some reason. So, to build an E-2D, add the belly antenna, no "Fez", plus what else? Again, thinks for any help my friend.

Chuck

Wow!Many thanks E-2 Bubba! You are the E-2 man! My model has the big CEC data link antenna. It was thrown in by the guy I got the kit from. I've always had a thing for building late model aircraft for some reason. So, to build an E-2D, add the belly antenna, no "Fez", plus what else? Again, thinks for any help my friend.

Chuck

There are several other noticable differences between the E-2D and previous versions:

- the radar cooling scoop on the starboard side under the wing is larger than on earlier versions

- the cooling scoop on top of the aircraft behind the cockpit has a smaller scoop on top of it

I tried to attach some photos to this reply but I don't seem to be having any luck. If you send me your e-mai address I'll send some external photos of the

Speaking of E-2 bubba's...where's Spongebob been?

Lying low!

Actually, just crushed with work & reserves.

To add to what's been said, in the 2009-2010 timeframe the "fez" as retrofitted to the fleet Group II aircraft. You may find a few birds at the FRS without it still though.

2nd "also" - the belly antenna configurations are different between Group II, HE2K and D.

As always...refs are good!

Spongebob

Welcome aboard!

I tried to attach some photos to this reply but I don't seem to be having any luck. If you send me your e-mai address I'll send some external photos of the

Just to be clear, you don't attach photos to the post. You include links to online images in your post.

Use the "frame" icon in the reply toolbar to make the image visible in your actual post. I use my personal website to host my pictures that I display, others use Flickr, Photobucket, or some other hosting service/site.

Use the icon that looks like a chain link to point to an online photo that somebody else posted on some website. The reader will need to click on the link to see the image. But please use that--and only that--for images you don't have a right to reproduce on this site.