Yeovilton Air Day or Cosford Airshow?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the UK, and I'm planning to attend at least one airshow before I head back home for summer. I basically have 2 choices, the Yeovilton Air Day and the Cosford airshow. I see no point attending both since the highlights of the two shows are largely similar. Does anyone have any opinions on which is worth going, etc?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Cheers,

Lim

I see no point attending both since the highlights of the two shows are largely similar. Does anyone have any opinions on which is worth going, etc?

Lim,

Whichever show you attend, enjoy yourself. If it really doesn't matter which show you see because "the highlights of the two shows are largely similar", attend the one that will be easiest for you to get to. When I was in London a couple of years ago, I went to Cosford for a day trip. I had a great time and met a swell ARC member too. The only drawback of the day was the three hour train ride (in each direction!) along with a required change of trains in Birmingham. All things being equal, if you like Royal Navy stuff, go to Yeovilton. If you want to see a great Cold War exhibit along with a bunch of really neat and rare aircraft, Cosford's for you.

Have fun!

Mike

Hi,

It depends on what you like.

Cosford is largely based around the museum (which is excellent) and the there are very few visiting aircraft on static display. The runway and approaches are not suitable for fast movers so they are generally based at nearby RAF Shawbury for the day and fly over to Cosford for their display slot and then return to Shawbury. The static will consist of propeller driven stuff and helicopters. The museum and the technical school may well put out a few of their static exhibits (Jaguars for example) but the bulk of the aircraft on display are the ones in the museum.

The museum is excellent but I would suggest that a visit to it during an ordinary day would be much better as there are a lot less people around! Museum entry is also free (you have to pay to park but it's not a big cost). If you arrive by train, the museum is about 500 metres on foot from the station.

Yeovilton has more active aircraft on static display. The Fleet Air Arm Museum is also excellent. The display aircraft are based on the airfield and Yeovilton usually attracts something slightly unusual (Polish MiG 29s in 2011 for example). The finale is a helicopter assault on the airfield - somewhat artificial with lots of flashes and bangs, but good fun to watch.

My recommendation would be Yeovilton on the basis of a larger static display. Visit Cosford if you get the chance as a museum rather than during the airshow.

The only caveat to the above is that I live close to Cosford and visit the museum regualrly, so perhaps my views are a bit jaded!

Regards,

John

I agree with John; go to Yeovilton airshow and visit the museum at Cosford on a normal day. Yeovilton gets almost all the flyers that will attend Cosford Airshow with the added benefit of a much larger static. As said Yeovilton also gets more foreign aircraft.

Hello Lim,

I have not been to either of the AIR SHOWS but I have been to COSFORD Museum and met up with another ARC memebr and WE had fun.

But this June{17th}I am going to COSFORD AIR SHOW for the very first time...

So I dont know what to expect but I have checked their web site out...

What ever you choose and where ever you go, HAVE FUN and enjoy..

HOLMES.

http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/contact.html

Edited by HOLMES