Tamiya 1/48th IL-2 Shturmovik

This tread is the Energizer Bunny Just keeps on going & Going & Going & Going & Going. And just like the Energizer Bunny, it is not getting anywhere. It is better to get on a exercise bike. You may not get anywhere but you at least loose flabb getting there.

This tread is the Energizer Bunny Just keeps on going & Going & Going & Going & Going. And just like the Energizer Bunny, it is not getting anywhere. It is better to get on a exercise bike. You may not get anywhere but you at least loose flabb getting there.

You do realise that by posting this, you're perpeptuating the continuation of the thread despite your protestations that the thread should stop. Try not posting in the thread or, if it annoys you so much, stop reading it.

Vince

LOL - its nothing against you - I saw your name and it reminded me of the critter (in reality, it hit me as I just about avoided it, till it turned into me and totaled the left side of the truck.... I had a horn shoved through the drivers side window); and then given the general tone of page 14, it (in my mind) had some sort of "comic effect". It was not a personal jab, just a statement involving a real animal and a real truck, and a real person on the back roads in the desert in the middle of nowhere. Just fuel to add to the energizer bunny headed nowhere..... :cheers::thumbsup:

Edited by Skyraider Maniac

No problem Skyraider. I deleted my posts because I realised I wasn't following my own advice - I'd rather the talk is about the kit itself and the whole thing was getting way too negative :D I wasn't offended by your post (although it did make me rethink my approach). I also realised I should be building rather than arguing about what people post about what a manufacturer decided to kit :)

Edited by Oryx

You do realise that by posting this, you're perpeptuating the continuation of the thread despite your protestations that the thread should stop. Try not posting in the thread or, if it annoys you so much, stop reading it.

Vince

It is not a protest it is an observation. At this point I read it for the entertainment value. I find it about the same as when a Sports reporter interviews a professional athlete or coach. They can talk for ten minutes and not say anything. Sort of like listening to that idiot Sosa, Salsa, or what ever his name is, or most any basket ball or football (american stile) player. You listen to him just because it is funny and not because you want to hear what he has to say. At this point I doubt that there is anyone that is expecting much real information from this thread. I am very confident that once someone has one in hand and has something of value to say about the kit, they will open a new thread. I am actually looking forward to that thread and will mis this one.rofl.gifIt will be nice to see what the kit is really going to be like. As they say "proof is in the pudding" I just wish that someone would come out with the post war Czech decals for it.

Edited by Otto

No problem Skyraider. I deleted my posts because I realised I wasn't following my own advice - I'd rather the talk is about the kit itself and the whole thing was getting way too negative :D I wasn't offended by your post (although it did make me rethink my approach). I also realised I should be building rather than arguing about what people post about what a manufacturer decided to kit :)

Well said Oryx :thumbsup:

Very nice. We now actually have some photographs of the built-up and painted model. It looks outstanding (although the grey should be a little darker on the camouflage - I have to find something wrong with every IL-2 model, I don't want to, but it's my job!). Seriously, that looks like a fine kit. And worth the hoopla, and the moolah.

Regards,

Jason

Addendum: I just noticed that those are two different models with two different schemes. Both schemes look good as far as having the correct three-colour patterns.

Edited by Learstang

I love reading build reviews of Tamiya planes; its amazing to me that no other manufacturer can match what Tamiya does. While I still have my AM IL2, I know I will build this one as well. Not so much for the subject matter (I would have picked something else) but for the fact building Tamiya airplane kits creates, at least for me, about the perfect modeling karma, and I think that is what it is all about.

I love reading build reviews of Tamiya planes; its amazing to me that no other manufacturer can match what Tamiya does. While I still have my AM IL2, I know I will build this one as well. Not so much for the subject matter (I would have picked something else) but for the fact building Tamiya airplane kits creates, at least for me, about the perfect modeling karma, and I think that is what it is all about.

I don't see what there is to be amazed about: Tamiya never closely matched Hasegawa at their best imho. What Tamiya does indeed do is put in much more novel features in their kits: I think the excitement comes from the fact that almost every new Tamiya release will have something, or at least some way of doing things, you've never seen before: Magnets, detailed form-fitting nose weights, full interiors, moulded-in clear parts/solid parts, weird breakdown or open panel display options... The novelties tend to work too... Better makers get dismissed sometimes because they just provide an outstandingly good but more conventional kit... R.

I don't see what there is to be amazed about: Tamiya never closely matched Hasegawa at their best imho. What Tamiya does indeed do is put in much more novel features in their kits: I think the excitement comes from the fact that almost every new Tamiya release will have something, or at least some way of doing things, you've never seen before: Magnets, detailed form-fitting nose weights, full interiors, moulded-in clear parts/solid parts, weird breakdown or open panel display options... The novelties tend to work too... Better makers get dismissed sometimes because they just provide an outstandingly good but more conventional kit... R.

Tamiya's P-47, F4U and A6M kits don't have any of those things, yet are very good kit that are also very popular.

So what is Hasegawa's best if Tamiya never got close to it? I just want to see what they have got that is so much better than Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire and P-51 (and I don't mean they are good because of their 'novelties' as you call them).

Edited by Tbolt

Tamiya's P-47, F4U and A6M kits don't have any of those things, yet are very good kit that are also very popular.

So what is Hasegawa's best if Tamiya never got close to it? I just want to see what they have got that is so much better than Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire and P-51 (and I don't mean they are good because of their 'novelties' as you call them).

I don't dab into 32 scale, but compare the last 10 years of Hasegawa 1/48 stuff with Tamiya's, and most of it is way better scale to scale except for Tamiya's 1/48th Zero or the Corsair, which are the best type-to type, but even then are not quite as good as the best of Hasegawa. Tamiya persists with annoying one-piece trailing edges that are thick as hell, so what's the point of doing it?: It ruins their Me-262 they are so thick, on wings that were like razor foil: See what Dragon did instead...

Compare Tamiya's idea of a 190 to Hasegawa's: it pretty much says it all... Even the old Hasegawa P-51D has a much better nose shape, prop etc... You could never fit a Merlin in a 1/48th Tamiya P-51 nose: Hasegawa's is dead-on, and the wingtips are the correct chord: A small difference but it shows...

In that scale there's nothing that justifies saying they are better: As a general rule they have more obvious mistakes than Hasegawa.

Robertson

I don't dab into 32 scale, but compare the last 10 years of Hasegawa 1/48 stuff with Tamiya's, and most of it is way better scale to scale except for Tamiya's 1/48th Zero or the Corsair, which are the best type-to type, but even then are not quite as good as the best of Hasegawa. Tamiya persists with annoying one-piece trailing edges that are thick as hell, so what's the point of doing it?: It ruins their Me-262 they are so thick, on wings that were like razor foil: See what Dragon did instead...

Compare Tamiya's idea of a 190 to Hasegawa's: it pretty much says it all... Even the old Hasegawa P-51D has a much better nose shape, prop etc... You could never fit a Merlin in a 1/48th Tamiya P-51 nose: Hasegawa's is dead-on, and the wingtips are the correct chord: A small difference but it shows...

In that scale there's nothing that justifies saying they are better: As a general rule they have more obvious mistakes than Hasegawa.

Robertson

The P-51's both have plenty of faults. The problem with comparing the Tamiya 190 to the Hasegawa one is that the Tamiya one is an older kit, if your going to do that we might as well compare P-47's and A6M's.

I was just after clarification of your statement "Tamiya never closely matched Hasegawa at their best imho", I wasn't saying Tamiya was better, but as far as I am concerned, if you just want to stick to 1/48 scale stuff they've got kits that are at least as good as Hasegawa.

If you think Tamiya's Me262 has thick as hell trailing edges then you've obviously never built the Eduard P-39!

The P-51's both have plenty of faults. The problem with comparing the Tamiya 190 to the Hasegawa one is that the Tamiya one is an older kit, if your going to do that we might as well compare P-47's and A6M's.

I was just after clarification of your statement "Tamiya never closely matched Hasegawa at their best imho", I wasn't saying Tamiya was better, but as far as I am concerned, if you just want to stick to 1/48 scale stuff they've got kits that are at least as good as Hasegawa.

If you think Tamiya's Me262 has thick as hell trailing edges then you've obviously never built the Eduard P-39!

For the 90s I generally agree with what you say, especially concerning the Hasegawa P-47, and quite a few other horrid releases from the 90's: Hasegawa did do their turds, and for much of the 90's Tamiya's work was probably equal or better...

The age of the Tamiya 190s is also a fair point, but you have to take into account that the Dragon kits existed well before that to serve as an example, which makes coming out with a much worse kit later less excusable...

The Eduard P-39 trailing edges are thick, but unlike Tamiya's insistence on single-piece trailing edges, you can still thin them from the inside without damaging outside details, which is an option Tamiya denies you on several kits for no real reason.

In the last 12 years Hasegawa kits have gotten much better with the same number of parts, while Tamiya kits have gotten more complex and gimmicky, with ever more features but no improvements in accuracy: In my opinion, in that scale, nothing Tamiya has done (except maybe for their Zeroes), shows as much care as Hasegawa's F1M Pete, J2M Jack, C6N Saiun, Hawker Typhoon or FW-190A/Fs. But then Hasegawa did do an awful Spit IX in that period, so Hasegawa's slant towards Japanese subjects does limit their appeal...

Robertson

Edited by Robertson

Robertson

Compare Tamiya's 1/48 F-16 to hasegawa F-16 and you will see in terms of details, precision, build quality and packaging, Tamiya kit is way ahead of Hasegawa.

Also see what Tamiya has provided in Storch's kit and compare its price to Hasegawa's recycled and re-issued kits of 80s' and you will get the idea if Tamiya or Hasegawa is a better kit producer.

Not against Hasegawa but their kits most of the times are the same base kits with new decals and higher price. Also details for different versions is not properly worked out in their kits.

Compare Tamiya's 1/48 F-16 to hasegawa F-16 and you will see in terms of details, precision, build quality and packaging, Tamiya kit is way ahead of Hasegawa.

There is like over 20 years span between those kits. Can't be compared.