Tamiya 1/48th IL-2 Shturmovik

I like the one with skis!! The prop and hub can (and will) be redone, and your still gonna have enough cash left to by a case of beer. Had they done a Yak 9, I think the reception would have been stellar.

gary

It really should/could have been Yak-9. Another missed opportunity. And Eduard

stopped talking about it (Yak-9) quite a long time ago. More Bf-109s, that's what's needed (sarcasm intended).

Mario

in NYC

It really should/could have been Yak-9. Another missed opportunity. And Eduard

stopped talking about it (Yak-9) quite a long time ago. More Bf-109s, that's what's needed (sarcasm intended).

Mario

in NYC

The Alanger/ICM Yak-9 is actually a very nice kit. considering you can buy those kits for a song and sometime even less. I have always liked the ICM kits.

Edited by Otto

- "Tamiya-san does what Tamiya-san wants" (airplane kits i.e.).

This seriously is the only reason.

If you think about the kind of new tool tank models that Tamiya has released recently, it kind of makes sense. BT-7/BT-42 pair in 2010-2011, 1/16 radio control KV-1/KV-2 pair in 2009, even back to ISU-152 and JS-2 earlier.

It's known that Mr.T went on a trip to Russia/Finland (within past 5 years, methinks). Hell, some of those tank models come with material that show photos taken by his designers at those museums/provided by the museums. Maybe he liked what he saw a lot. Maybe those museums he visited treated him really well. So his good vibes from this trip put him on this continuing Russian subject kick that has now spilled over into airplane models.

We all know Mr. T insists on accuracy/doing hard research. Entirely within the realm of possibility that his trip put him in contact with the people who did the airworthy Il-2 restoration. Bam, source for the design drawings he's so big on....

There are so many examples of Mr.T's "pet projects", for lack of a better word. German/British tanks due to contribution to Bovington, the Seiran due to its restoration, models of racing cars that he sponsored, etc.

Sure, we all want to believe that Mr.T has done his homework to determine what modelers around the world want. That's the "proper" responsible way of doing it. Surely not the case here though.

I'll be passing a mile away from this one. Already built one of the AM kits, have a second in the stash and no interest in another.

I do wonder why they opted for this one tho...

Ken

I have one of the Accurate kits in my stash and I am not even interested in that one. Yawn.

If the Japanese market wanted this kit I will eat my shorts. As has been mentioned here, Mr. Tamiya wanted this kit. The Japanese market would love a colorful Phantom or an F4U-4 Corsair.

Correcting the spinner on my stack of AM (incl. variants) won't slow me down. Fix it once, cast the rest. I say the one good thing with this news is my old Superscale IL-2 sheets should go up in value. Thanks to Tamiya for that - otherwise flatlining here! Shame is the tooling investment (Especially from Tamiyas research) would be a Bullseye were it a Tempest! Either 1/48 or 1/32 please.

We all know Mr. T insists on accuracy/doing hard research. Entirely within the realm of possibility that his trip put him in contact with the people who did the airworthy Il-2 restoration. Bam, source for the design drawings he's so big on....

They have bought the complete set of factory drawings in Russia recently.

The Alanger/ICM Yak-9 is actually a very nice kit. considering you can buy those kits for a song and sometime even less. I have always liked the ICM kits.

Yak-9 and especially Yak-9T from ICM are awful, there are excellent Yak-1 and Yak-1B from South Front and Modelsvit accordingly, but decent Yak-7/9 are desperately needed.

Sergey.

As a 1/72 builder, I hope they eventually scale this one down..since Academy seems to have no interest in releasing the two-seat Stormovik (even thow I've heard the molds are done.) I have no interest in the single-seat version, but would probably buy a couple of the two-searters (even then, I don't really need it..I already have the Eduard Profi-Pack 1/72 Stormivik, and it's very nice.)

SN

Good grief, some of you guys can be a bunch of drama queens. Okay, so an IL-2 is not your cup of tea, fine don't buy it. No sense griping about it. Besides, all we have seen thus far are a couple shots of a built test shot from two angles at most. So we don't quite know what features this kit will have exactly.

As for Spit Mk IXs, I am not surprised Tamiya hasn't done one yet since it has been only about two years after they started doing the 1/32s (of which three kits have come out in that time). To do a 1/48 one now would cut a little into that business and thus far we have Mk IXs from Airfix, ICM, Hasegawa and Occidental (reissued by Italeri). So even though the flaws on those kits are somewhat documented, the market is still somewhat oversaturated with those types (and most of the flaws can be corrected by those that typically build Spits anyway). I would say, odds are good that eventually Tamiya will probably do a Spit IX, but not until they've had a full sales run of their 1/32 tooling and have milked it for all it is worth.

By comparison, the IL-2 market only has the Accurate Miniatures kits. I don't recall anyone else that has done one as a high quality styrene kit. I admit it is a way out in left field choice, but for those that prize doing a decent OOB build of a model without having to spend money on aftermarket bits (except for decals perhaps), I might entertain getting one if I have the budget for it when it comes out.

Over the last couple of years I have picked up two AM on eBay for under $20 each. I'm set on that model. It is way good enough for me. Nice airplane, yes do I want to build one, yes Am I going to spend $80 for a new one that has a nicer spinner than the AC kit? Do I really have to answer that question in a civil tong? :deadhorse1:

and you know there's aftermarket stuff out there for them if that matters. Folks are already telling us how great the kit is without ever seeing one in the flesh. I know exactly what the A.M. kit is, and it's a good kit. I'm not knocking Tamiya, but I'm also with you in that I'm not paying $80 dollars for a kit that is just slightly better than what I can buy for $20

gary

This seriously is the only reason.

If you think about the kind of new tool tank models that Tamiya has released recently, it kind of makes sense. BT-7/BT-42 pair in 2010-2011, 1/16 radio control KV-1/KV-2 pair in 2009, even back to ISU-152 and JS-2 earlier.

It's known that Mr.T went on a trip to Russia/Finland (within past 5 years, methinks). Hell, some of those tank models come with material that show photos taken by his designers at those museums/provided by the museums. Maybe he liked what he saw a lot. Maybe those museums he visited treated him really well. So his good vibes from this trip put him on this continuing Russian subject kick that has now spilled over into airplane models.

There are so many examples of Mr.T's "pet projects", for lack of a better word. German/British tanks due to contribution to Bovington, the Seiran due to its restoration, models of racing cars that he sponsored, etc.

Sure, we all want to believe that Mr.T has done his homework to determine what modelers around the world want. That's the "proper" responsible way of doing it. Surely not the case here though.

That maybe true, but on the dark side it's common knowledge that Dragon's ate Tamiya's lunch. I still like Hasegawa aircraft kits (and Tamiyas as well), but from what we've all seen recently from the otherguys it looks like some folks are catching up with them fast. Then to add insult to injury, I'm at the local LHS yesterday afternoon. They have two 1/48th Tamiya Lancasters on the shelf for the cheap price of $135!!! Maybe they have not learned their lesson yet as they have a P51D and a MK. VIII Spitfire just gathering dust with zero takers (the Spitfire may end up in my stash as they have a 25% off sticker on it, and I betting it'll get marked down again). I bought the Tamiya JagedTiger the other day when it had a 50% off sticker on it. Nice kit, but not for what I could buy the Dragon kit for. Best example of playing catch up is the Ventura and the 1/72 JU88 from Revell (also the ghastly sum of $26.95!!!)

gary

Good grief, some of you guys can be a bunch of drama queens. Okay, so an IL-2 is not your cup of tea, fine don't buy it. No sense griping about it.

I wouldn't say that. I appreciate a new mold kit, with all the hub-bub about the hobby dying. However, the subject choice is a headscratcher to me.

Ken

Signed copy.

Now that it is revealed that you work for Tamiya can you tell us when the 1/48 F-4B/N is being announced?

And how long before the 1/32 F4U-1A is released?

Mr. Tamiya does want to get rich/er doesn't he?

:)

How can people possibly more interested in F4U than Il-2? I honestly cannot wrap my mind around that. None WW2 planes screams more bore as much as that one.

Then again, lots of people build F-16's, -14's and -18's...

I don´t like this, why do they produce this, that...? It sucks they didn´t do another Messospitstang.

There is a bunch of modellers among the 160 mio people in Russia, that sure as hec will appreciate this kit coming out...

It won´t require rocketscience to figure out they couldn´t care less what the doomsayers here say,

Matt

How can people possibly more interested in F4U than Il-2? I honestly cannot wrap my mind around that. None WW2 planes screams more bore as much as that one.

I've always liked the Il-2, but I'd nuch rather had a Yak-9. I also like to see Zvezda do the La7 and 9 in the same quality as they did the La-5. I really liked the La-5 kits

gary

Because there is not a single decent F4U-4 out there. The new Hobby Boss one is not even close so that still leaves the 70s Hasegawa kit as the only one that is even remotely close to scale outline. It is still with raised panel lines and lacking in detail. The -4 is about the most famous of all Corsairs since there is the most of them still flying. Besides a few people in Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia and North Korea, who can go to a Museum to see one? What other part of the world knows what a real Shturmovik looks like? I doubt that a hand full of Japanese will ever see a IL-2 in real life anywhere. And would ever be able to tell how scale it is. There is more Yak-11s world wide than most any other prop driven vintage Russian aircraft ever made.

I've always liked the Il-2, but I'd nuch rather had a Yak-9. I also like to see Zvezda do the La7 and 9 in the same quality as they did the La-5. I really liked the La-5 kits

gary

Times 2 on the La-7 since the HobbyCraft/Academy and Eduard are in left field. How Eduard could have screwed that one up is besides me since they have them in Czech museums and they could have photographed and Measured it. I have enough of the Eduard kits and Zvezda kits to kit-bash a good La-7 at this point.