Hi all,

Just curious, what would it take to convert the 1/144th Revell 767-300 model to a 767-400? I know the fuselage would need to be lengthened fore and aft of the wings, although I'm not sure by how much, and the wing would require the slanted back, raked wingtips.

What I don't know is if the model would require anything else? New landing gear? A whole new wing? Different engines? Any ideas?

I'm aware of the Braz 767-400 conversion, but no one seems to have it in stock, and quite frankly I'd rather do the fuselage work myself after dealing with their warped and misshapen (and, that's putting it nicely) 777-300 conversion.

Many thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Like you said, a 767-400 conversion involves a fuselage plug for and aft the wings, raked wingtips (the -400ER wing probably benefits from internal strengthening but the basic wing is identical to lesser 767s, so it's just a matter of adding the raked wingtips) and the engines only offered are the General Electric CF6-80C2B8F. The front landing gear and wheels are essentially the same as before, however there are some changes in the main landing gear: the main strut is slightly different (taller, fatter and straight, not angled in the upper section), wheels are slightly bigger (they come from the 777) and both main landing gears are relocated further apart (front view). Also forgot about the door, the one attached to the main strut, it is differently shaped than on lesser 767s. The main landing gear differences are not that visible but if you care about detail, I can provide some photos.

Cheers, Steven

BTW, the forward fuselage extension is 11ft or 3.35m long, so 2.33cm in 1/144. And the rear is 10ft or 3.05m long, so 2.12cm in 1/144.

I can post photos of my 767-400 fuselage parts, the right or left assembly is glue already.

Cheers, Steven

Thanks, I'd appreciate any photos or help. I have the Delta pink 767-400 decals on order, plus I have some Continental ones in the stash already. I really like the -400, ever since coming face to face with one at Houston. I couldn't figure out what the heck the big beast was, at first.

I was thinking of just CAD and SLR-ing the fuselage plugs through Shapeways. That would be the easiest thing, and it would eliminate a TON of sanding and shaping. Heck, it would probably take less than an hour to do each barrel, or less, with no Braz warpage. Its too bad since most Braz products I've bought have been wonderful, but those fuselage plugs just don't quite cut it.

The A.Net pages seem to indicate that the -300 and -400 main landing gear are the same width apart (http://www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/stats.main?id=104 and http://www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/stats.main?id=105). Assuming that their info is correct, then the main struts are likely at the same location or orientation as on the -300, but perhaps the extra width you mention is due to the larger and wider 777 type tires? A.Net and Boeing also confirm that but for the raked wingtips, both types have the same wing, although the -400's is strengthened more internally. That was a relief.

Is there a source for 767-400 landing gear drawings? My skills aren't that great, but in 1/144th I may be able to CAD/SLR new struts to account for the little differences.

Robert

caliburnus@earthlink.net

Hello Robert,

A.net is undoubtedly my website of choice when it comes to photos but I would not rely on them regarding aircraft specs, I have found a few errors especially on powerplants or ft-in/m-cm conversions. And very strangely, the Boeing Airplanes Characteristics 767 pages also indicate the struts to be in the same location wether it is the -200, -300 or -400. I am still certain it is an error from the Boeing documentation team, for example they give the same engine nacelle max diameter of 2.84m for both CF6-80 (747-400) and GEnx-2B (747-8) while the later has obviously bigger 787-class nacelles.

I will come back tomorrow with 767-300 and -400 landing gear photos so you can see the differences. I will reconstruct them using aluminium micro tubing, a lot of work and I am not sure the differences are worth the effort.

BTW, is SLR some kind of rapid prototyping? For my 767-400 fuselage, I have gone the expensive way... use 2 sets of fuselages.

Cheers, Steven

Yup, that's exactly what it is. You can go to www.shapeways.com and they have a fair number of tutorials and info pages. Basically, you CAD design the part and they will print it up for you, to order. I'm certainly no CAD wizard, but I can make simple parts like gun barrels, wheels, tires, and fuselage barrels would seem very easy. You just need the outside and inside diameters of the fuselage, and my trusty digital calipers can give me those from a Revell 767 kit.

EDIT: for example, here's a replacement Star Trek bridge I made for the old 18-inch AMT kit from the sixties: http://www.shapeways.com/model/532402/36fa6794058d4bb2ada77b20361efd34, and a replacement deck hatch cover for the Revell 1/72nd Gato-class submarine: http://www.shapeways.com/model/325495/e7c573278754d3442608d06cb651dd16 . Ultimately, I'm going to make en entirely new replacement deck for the sub model. You're only limited by your imagination.

Edited by robert61267
I was thinking of just CAD and SLR-ing the fuselage plugs through Shapeways. That would be the easiest thing, and it would eliminate a TON of sanding and shaping.

Why not just use two 767-300 kits and save a *whole* bunch of time and money? I've stretched a bunch of airliner models in my day, and I've never added PVC pipe or anything else. Just cut up two kits and lengthen that way...

J

Jennings,

Buying two kits won't save much money. It will cost about the same to order the parts from Shapeways, plus I won't have a bunch of leftover parts from the donor kit. And, if this works and someone else wants the parts for a conversion of their own, I can offer them for sale through Shapeways for a very modest price, so more people will be helped. However, there is a more important reason: strength.

When you use donor plastic kit fuselage barrels, you have to really shim the parts, often adding strip styrene reinforcements to the innards as sleeves, if you will, so that you can insert one end into another. A CAD/SLR part won't have that problem. It will come as a single unit capable of just plugging into each end of the Revell 767 plastic. There will be no need for shimming or "sleeving" using strip styrene, and minimal puttying and sanding assuming that the barrels are of the proper width. They will simply plug in together.

Robert

Edited by robert61267