OV-102 Shuttle stack 1/72

Hi to you all.

This is my first topick here, but it's not my fist modelkit.

To out a patch on that, it's my first kit this year, and my first spacecraft since i was 13-14 years old. 2-3 years after the shuttle Columbia's first flight, which i actually recorded at a casette tape. Gee, that's even before Betamax video. :D

Now they stopped the Space Shuttle program, i've actually got the economics to go see a Shuttle launch, but like a lot of stuff in life, i'm late to that, too.

So i have searched for this kit some time now, and been turned down by some dealers in the USA, that did not want to sell it outside US, or didn't wanted to send it due to the cost overseas...

But, thanks to Mark Twain Hobby, i have my kit now. Expencive, yes, but not radiculously. (Will come back to that stuff later. ;)

I've seen some videos on youtube, from modelmantom, dutycat and Jmcladek, about the kit and the problems, the pro and quo about this huge kit. [some guy at a other forum stated.:

"You know it's a big model, when you can have your arm inside, some parts of it..."

And that really sums it all up.]

But here i start my own adventure with a project, that some really god modeller told me, was going to be a difficult but exiting challenge, to build the Columbia O-102 with ET and SRB stacked.

Stuff needed to do or order.:

Space in Minituare (SIM#3) book for reference.

Fisher Model SSME Resin Kit.

SILTS pod scratch build.

Orbiter Decals form Ed Bisconti.

Windows corrected to right size and shape.

Heres my first glance at the kit.

7561_07_04_12_1_49_27_1.JPG

SRB compared to my two year old daughter.

7561_07_04_12_7_34_44_0.JPG

Some of the problems with this kit, warp due to size and old moldings.

7561_07_04_12_7_34_44_2.JPG

Gaps, and the not so acurate windows.

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_1.JPG

And the instructions tell you to make the holes in both parts.

That's not correct, only one half needs this, the other half should be left unattended.

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_2.JPG

Test fitting with taped up model of ET and SRB.

SRB = 60 cm.

ET + SRB = 80 cm.

Huge, so this you need to consider before you buy it, Do I Have The Room To Display This?

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_3.JPG

Holes need to line up with the small hole in the nose cone too.

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_5.JPG

And the support to attach the orbiter shall be on the "Hole" side too.

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_6.JPG

Some tricky parts, the gaps vs. the texture...

More to come...

Edited by x3mperformance

And here's a few of the parts i need to alter, scratch build, to make it more accurate, in detail and apperence.

7561_14_04_12_1_50_10_1.JPG

The verticale stab need the SILTS pod on the top.

7561_14_04_12_1_50_10_0.jpg

SILTS pod is seen here. A detail there's only at OV-102, from 1985 on. None of the others had this.

7561_14_04_12_1_50_10_2.jpg

Separation rockets, real deal.

7561_14_04_12_1_50_10_3.JPG

Monogram way. Wrong angle and a lack of details.

But that's only some of the special things and new tricks i'll be working with.

I'll borrow some of the very well thought out stuff, some other really good Modellers, have used for this kit.

More to come...

Edited by x3mperformance

But, let me start of, by mating the two half of the fuselage.

Build day one.

A day in my modelling carrer i'm not so proud of... :crying2:

The quality of the kit, leave a lot to wish for, and it make me look like i am a completly "Novice" to model building. :boohoo:

The one of you who have actually build the kit, will know how much headache this kit will give you.

But here's some pictures from my little exercise.

7561_14_04_12_1_50_10_4.JPG

The fuselage are so huge, the plastic so thin, that it needs some strips glued inside to help align the panels,

or at least try to help...

7561_14_04_12_1_50_11_9.JPG

I ended up with a huge step in the nose section... After 1 hours work!

7561_14_04_12_1_50_11_8.JPG

And the panel for the wheel well in the nose was a very very poor fit too...

But it will keep me busy for some time with a lot of putty and sanding.

More to come.

Rene'

Hi again.

I've had the spatula, putty and sanding paper in for some good use.

The work is going much smoother than i actually had hopes for.

And, some will notice that i have left the putty away from a section of the nose, that's on purpose.

This section will be dealth with later, but i need to add some details first. <_<

Here's some pictures of the first layer of putty.

7561_14_04_12_6_56_19_1.JPG

The round nose section is not just to sand away on... :blink:

7561_14_04_12_6_56_20_2.JPG

Here the section without the putty, but the roof and front section is turning out okey.

7561_14_04_12_6_56_20_3.JPG

The front of the bottom, took it's share of putty! And need more...

7561_14_04_12_6_56_20_5.JPG

Midt ship also had it's share, but i think it only needs a very small amount of work now.

7561_14_04_12_6_56_20_4.JPG

Rear section was very uneven, and needs some more work, lots of it. Feels still uneven latheral.

7561_14_04_12_6_56_20_6.JPG

And here the entire underside seen from aft.

I'll keep pushing.

The putty used, is Italeri Putty, and for now, i've used grit 240 wet sanding paper to finish off this mess.

Rene'

Rene',

Great start so far!

SIM #3 is a great book, a definite help for building shuttles.

When I decide to start building my Monogram stack I'd also like to pick up the Fisher SSME's. They are beautifully detailed.

Are you building this as a specific mission?

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Watch out for the windows! You saw the difficulty I had with them! The next time I do one, I am going to apply sheet styrene over the kit windows and have the correct window shapes already cut out. As it sits now, I am going to be stuck painting them on and then putting a decal around them.

Rene',

Great start so far!

SIM #3 is a great book, a definite help for building shuttles.

When I decide to start building my Monogram stack I'd also like to pick up the Fisher SSME's. They are beautifully detailed.

Are you building this as a specific mission?

Mike.

Hi Mike.

As for now, i'm aiming for STS-109 or STS-107, where the outside configuration should be more or less the same, at least building so close as the build project goes for now.

I'm stiil trawling the internet for pictures from those two missions, but the STS-107 are, i think the most intresting, and also from the point of wiev, that it's a memorie to the astronauts that was lost, not only during the Columbia and Challenger disasters, but all the others too...

Watch out for the windows! You saw the difficulty I had with them! The next time I do one, I am going to apply sheet styrene over the kit windows and have the correct window shapes already cut out. As it sits now, I am going to be stuck painting them on and then putting a decal around them.

Hi Gil.

Yes, i did see that disaster as it happened.

And i will have to tell you that i'm actually sorry, i was yelling at you for that episode...

The idea with putty and masking was a doomed project, but i guess i was too late. ;)

To be honest, your shuttle war has been a really good guide, to my own project.

As to your windows and the decals, i would also try out with a set of window protective coveres, as used under assambly and all the way upto the final stage at the pad.

Here's a great opportunity for you, to experiment a bit and to be the first among the 1/72 shuttle stacks to use this.

I actually look forward to see the painting and the process repeated with the Revell orbiter.

Keep 'em cumming, those videos are great.

I know you like the Tamiya extra thin, and i think you should see this small video, you will find it interesteing, from a gluer's perspective. ;)

I'll better get back to buisness, i have some sanding to do.

Rene'

So, i have thrown me over the SR's nose cone. Giving the fuselage a short break.

I build a later version, of the shuttle stack, than what Monogram had intended.

And the old cast noses design, will therefore not consistent with the rivet that I needed, to come closest to my goal.

Just to summarize the differences in design from the first until the last STS missions, we are just a walk in the History class.

Columbia (OV-102) and Challenger (STA-99, later OV-99) differed much since they were the first, and therefore development platform for the later Orbiters.

The differences were that there was a uniks TPS (Tile Protection System) on the first two, than on the later OV's, which took advantage of the much lighter materials such as carpets AFRSI and later FRSI carpet that was even lighter.

But Columbia was approximately 3,500 kg heavier than the Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour, Challenger was again 1,000 kg lighter than Columbia (which had plenty of unique equipment over time. (Among others, ejection seats and associated openings in the roof, SILTS pod and the like.)Columbia did however undergo some rebuildings, at different stages and time periods, and got closer to the 3 later OV's

The air frame had not particularly large differences and they where able to use windows from all OV'ere swapped around, which happened several times ...

(Thanks to the "Walking & breathing encyclopaedia" JMchladek. Please correct me if wrong.)

The requirements for weight savings came together with the ISS project (International Space Station.) There should be transported vast quantities of material and hence weight in orbit.

But back to my little project.

7561_15_04_12_1_02_46.JPG

Here, the nose of the two SRB'ere, wherein the front are as Monogram intented it,

the back is almost completely without texture in the surface, it comes, but only vertically.

The horizontal structures are not on the later missions, when the nose was riveted together.

More to come.

This is going to be a cool build! Can't wait to see more updates! :cheers:

Ahh, then can't keep you waiting...

I have spend a lot of time, trying to figure out, some more or less, bullit proof way about the windows problem.

This due to the huge problems, Dutycat made for him self, in his video build of this kit. (Shuttle Wars.)

This is not to blame Dutycat, at all.

There's just not been any super easy way arround this problem.

And this causes people to do it there own way. Not always turning out as intended to.

But i have come a god part of the way, thinking of that fatal error, and the "normal" way, with styrene strips.

This leaves you out with your own interpretation of the actual windows from the Orbiter.

So how the heck do you do it easy...

Well.

Now, i have tryed some different ways, and the easy one, i will guide you through here.

This is then also, the way where you get closest to the correct shape, and depending on your own tolerances, the correct placement of 'em.

I am actually celebrating this small victory with a glass of good Italien Wine. Amarone del Valpolicella

Until now, it looks like this for me.

Step one.:

7561_15_04_12_5_04_25_1.JPG

Use a heavy grade of paper, hold it behind the Monogram window cut outs.

Mark the cut outs with a pencil.

The with of the pencil will make it a slight bit smaller. That's to your favor, in a minut.

7561_15_04_12_5_04_25_2.JPG

Here you can compare the paper mock-up to the windows from the Monogram kit.

Gee, i wish i had the Revell's windows to compare it to now...

7561_15_04_12_5_04_26_4.JPG

Here i have cut out the paper template, and you now see, that it's a bit "Under size"

7561_15_04_12_5_04_26_5.JPG

But, when you outline the template onto the styrene strip, you get it almost spot on.

Told you, the under size was working the right way...

7561_15_04_12_5_04_26_6.JPG

Here the styrene strip is cut, and tested.

The work is not yet finished.

7561_15_04_12_5_04_26_7.JPG

From this angle, you see that now it's just to putty the new frame into the kit when finished.

Now i just need to find the correct shape, and placement of the windows,

and transfer them to the new frame. Here, it would have been nice with the Revell kit on hand...

More to come.

Hope you see the big picture of this.

I may not have revolutionised the business, but i am making some small steps into the right direction, to make it easy for the modellers to copy this and get a really god result with not so many possibilities to make errors.

Rene'

Edited by x3mperformance

Hi Rene',

your start makes me curious, it looks very interesting so far, for 1:72 is a good scale and you can scratch-build many details if you want.

:wave:

Thanks Manfred.

And i do actually also follow your small project, since i have the MLP in 1/72.

I did actually belive t was a plastic kit i bought, but... No.

So, as a modeller, paper... Just a new experience, and a lot of challenge.

And your absolutely sport on, the 1/72 scale are made for scratch building, in 1/144 that is also possible, but not to the same degree of details.

So i'm "stealing" tips, tricks and teqnices all arround as i go, and boy, the AMC forum is packed with really good modellers, and a small ammount of Super modellers, who take this to a completely "Out of this world" level.

Did you see the link i posted for you in the other topic.

Ahh here it is again. http://www.apollosaturn.com/ml.htm.

I am soon off to work, until sunday next week...

But I have desided to ad a small amount of fact about the Space Transportation System

or in plain english, the Shuttle with its stack. Just to keep you busy.

All facts is by NASA.

The development took place during the very early 70's

The Shuttle are made of + 2,5 million parts.

230 miles (370 kilometers) of electrical wire in aviation specs.

The + 27,000 tiles on the first orbiter took 350 man-years to mount.

Each main engine produces 1,200,000 hp

At a start, it's Cold started from -423º F (-252.8º C) to +6,000º F (+3,315.6º C) in 1,2 second.

At it's peack, it performs a staggering 104% power. (More than it is build for? ? ?)

The Main Engines produce a exhaust of wather vapor and air, yes, that,s the recepy of rain. Eco-friendly... Yep.

The fuel turbine pressure of one main engine, could send a coloumn of liquid hydrogen 36 miles (57,9 km) straight up in the air.

The takeof weight are app. 2,04 million kilo grams, (4.5 million pounds)

Loosing 1,59 million kilograms (3.5 million pounds) in the 8,5 minutes of the launch to it's orbit. Quick diet!!!

The Solid Rocket Boosters deliver 72% of the total thrust power.

Thats 44,000,000 hp (44 million) Burning 10 ton of solid fuel pr. second.

When ignited, they burn 122 seconds, and ther's NO WAY of turning them off.

The SSME has a Fuel milage to 2 feet/gallon... (0.000161039283 km/liter Yep, 16 cm pr liter... :woot.gif: )

Acceleration is 0-60 miles/h (0-100 km/h) in 5 seconds.

After 55 seconds more (60 sec total) the speed is 1000 miles pr. hour (1600 km/h)

It has a top speed at 17,400 miles per hour (+28,000 km/h) which it actually can do backwards and upside down!

513,700,000 miles is the total distance All the orbiters have covered all together. :sunrevolves:

Enterprise excepted. The one with less milage was Challenger (Ov-099) with 27,500,000 miles.

Atlantis (OV-104) with 111,300,000 miles

Endeaveour (OV-105) with 115,500,000 miles

Columbia (OV-102) with 122,700,000 miles on the clock.

And Discovery (OV-103) with 136,700,000 miles as the long distance topper.

It is out of this world, and really really hard to belive that it's actually man made.

Have a nice weekend, to all of you.

Rene'

Edited by x3mperformance

hi i will watch with intrest as i have 2 kits on the way from canada,as we speak.and on my previous attempts at a shuttle build 7 up to now.i have not had one i like, so they are all shoved in a box,awaiting more patience,so iwill watch your build with intrest thanks don.

Hi to you all.

7561_08_04_12_9_46_02_6.JPG

Some tricky parts, the gaps vs. the texture...

More to come...

Hi Rene',

the External Tank of your model kit has those typically roughens foam structure, which pleases me well. With mine Airfix Shuttle stack (1:144) the ET surface is totally smooth. Did you or someone know, as one could roughen this smooth surface up, so that it looks more faithful?

Hi Rene',

the External Tank of your model kit has those typically roughens foam structure, which pleases me well. With mine Airfix Shuttle stack (1:144) the ET surface is totally smooth. Did you or someone know, as one could roughen this smooth surface up, so that it looks more faithful?

I would go to the paintshop, and ask them for some texture spray paint.

Try some of them out, i think they will do the trick. (I know the American names, buts since we are in Europe, i would go with this adwise.

As i think of it, the surface on the 1/72 ET, is actually a bit of a handicap...

It looks really nice, it's not correct and it's ruining the normal way of putty and sanding the joints...

I need to do some experiments, when i start that work, and when this fails, i'll go with the texture spray paint too... (See, i do not have high hopes for my own sucess... Lol.)

And for the windows tricks, follow up, i have some more, Breaking-News for all you Shuttle fans. (Would that be... Shuttie's?)

Give me a couple of hours.

Hey Rene', Great job on this so far. Keep it coming!

I have a suggestion about the ET texture that I got from another modeler here. I would recommend filling the seam and sanding it down smooth as any other seam without worrying about the texture. Then use a Rustoleum product called "multi-colored texture" paint. It's a slightly finer texture then the kit's so you'll have to spray the whole tank, but it looks much better IMHO. It covers pretty well to. Here is a link to my build (which has been neglected for waaay too long) About halfway or so down you can see the pic of my newly textured tank.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=232748&st=60

Just a suggestion. Keep the progress up and keep posting great shots. I need to get inspired to get back to my build. The more shuttles the merrier!

Bill

I have a suggestion about the ET texture that I got from another modeler here. I would recommend filling the seam and sanding it down smooth as any other seam without worrying about the texture. Then use a Rustoleum product called "multi-colored texture" paint. It's a slightly finer texture then the kit's so you'll have to spray the whole tank, but it looks much better IMHO. It covers pretty well to. Here is a link to my build (which has been neglected for waaay too long) About halfway or so down you can see the pic of my newly textured tank.

Just a suggestion. Keep the progress up and keep posting great shots. I need to get inspired to get back to my build. The more shuttles the merrier!

Bill

Hi Bill.

Ahh, i downloaded your pictures yesterday, :thumbsup: cause they looked rather interesting.

And i'll have to check, if the rustoleum products are at sale some where near me.

Here's an little update on the windows.

7561_16_04_12_6_32_06_0.JPG

I make a template from a scan of a decal, that are sooooo close to the original size and shape,

as possible, and compared to the template i made.

7561_16_04_12_6_32_06_1.JPG

BUT... It's even worse with that Monogram shuttle, than expected...

7561_16_04_12_6_32_07_2.JPG

But i will keep on fighting this, until i come out as the winner...

D... I am at work, and the shuttle is at home...

7561_16_04_12_6_32_07_3.JPG

Here you se my "Hobby- room" for the next week...

I've noticed some build a plane in a hotel room, i build Space shuttles in a truck. :whistle:

Edited by x3mperformance

Hi Gil.

Yes, i did see that disaster as it happened.

And i will have to tell you that i'm actually sorry, i was yelling at you for that episode...

The idea with putty and masking was a doomed project, but i guess i was too late. ;)

To be honest, your shuttle war has been a really good guide, to my own project.

As to your windows and the decals, i would also try out with a set of window protective coveres, as used under assambly and all the way upto the final stage at the pad.

Here's a great opportunity for you, to experiment a bit and to be the first among the 1/72 shuttle stacks to use this.

Rene'

Well, you are correct in that I could try to do the "cover" thing. I had already been thinking about that. But I am not quite decided as the kit is actually going on display in our school library and be seen by a bunch of folks that are not familiar with the shuttle's window coverings and might be confused. Still, it would allow me to salvage the kit back to the level of quality that I set out to build it to. Yes, and it would be a first stack built this way among our little community.

Edited by DutyCat

I know you like the Tamiya extra thin, and i think you should see this small video, you will find it interesteing, from a gluer's perspective. ;)

I'll better get back to buisness, i have some sanding to do.

Rene'

Yes, most serious modelers are familiar with that trick. I have been using it with Tenax for a long time. I don't yet have a lot of experience with Tamiya extra thin, so I have to work on my timing for it to be effective.

Hi Bill.

Ahh, i downloaded your pictures yesterday, :thumbsup: cause they looked rather interesting.

And i'll have to check, if the rustoleum products are at sale some where near me.

Here's an little update on the windows.

7561_16_04_12_6_32_06_0.JPG

I make a template from a scan of a decal, that are sooooo close to the original size and shape,

as possible, and compared to the template i made.

7561_16_04_12_6_32_06_1.JPG

BUT... It's even worse with that Monogram shuttle, than expected...

7561_16_04_12_6_32_07_2.JPG

But i will keep on fighting this, until i come out as the winner...

D... I am at work, and the shuttle is at home...

7561_16_04_12_6_32_07_3.JPG

Here you se my "Hobby- room" for the next week...

I've noticed some build a plane in a hotel room, i build Space shuttles in a truck. :whistle:

Rene',

Nice work on the windows so far!

My Hobby room is usually the kitchen table. :lol:

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Bill

Hi Rene' and Bill,

thanks for your interesting tipps and tricks in order to texture the ET. I only don't know whether I will find your products with us in Germany, but I will look for it.

• 1 year later...

Well.

It has been over 1 full year since last update.

This has several reasons.

Work Work work, my Little daughter,difficulties to get hold of goods sent to me from USA,

(Thanks to the Danish Royal Mail, for returning my SSME's to Real Space Models. TWICE!!! [Beeing sarchastic])

and other hobby interest, picked up on RC Helicopter flying.

And also the fact that the copy of the Monogram Space Shutte i have, is in so poor state, that even fitting the original plastic parts,

are becoming a Big Deal with lots of Work to do, even more Work than the modifications and detailing would take...

I then paused the project. Sorry guys.

My plan is to get hold of yet another Monogram Space Shuttle and a Revell Orbiter also in scale 1/72 to kitbash the sets to get a complete shuttle stack.

And then i might be Lucky enough to have a complete orbiter to display at landing configuration too.

But, i am going to proceed with the project, and i took the kit out yesterday evening for first time, since april last year.

I then have a confession to make.

I've been sneeking arround in your projects!

And wow.

A lot of new stuff and approches to solutions has been found during this year.

And this will make an even better and more impressive stack.

Dutycat AkA. Gil Gregg. You inspired me to just "keep going in one direction, forward."

You encountered so many obsticles, mistakes and huge bumps, that it's amazing that you keept on going.

I see all the Shuttle wars videos Again and Again. They are a great inspiration.

Also to mention Spaceman AkA Manfred for coming up with a solution to the foam structure on the ET.

This actually made me retrive my kit from the locker...

Heres a small list of the pile-up of warped plastic.

-Wing seams, 4 millimeters off (Top/Bottom part) at left wing, mid leading edge.

-Wing attached point front on top, raised 1 1/2 millimeter abowe the forward skirts/body.

-ET seams buckling and warping to beyond feathering by normal Means.

Rene'

Well.

It has been over 1 full year since last update.

This has several reasons.

Work Work work, my Little daughter,difficulties to get hold of goods sent to me from USA,

(Thanks to the Danish Royal Mail, for returning my SSME's to Real Space Models. TWICE!!! [Beeing sarchastic])

and other hobby interest, picked up on RC Helicopter flying.

And also the fact that the copy of the Monogram Space Shutte i have, is in so poor state, that even fitting the original plastic parts,

are becoming a Big Deal with lots of Work to do, even more Work than the modifications and detailing would take...

I then paused the project. Sorry guys.

My plan is to get hold of yet another Monogram Space Shuttle and a Revell Orbiter also in scale 1/72 to kitbash the sets to get a complete shuttle stack.

And then i might be Lucky enough to have a complete orbiter to display at landing configuration too.

But, i am going to proceed with the project, and i took the kit out yesterday evening for first time, since april last year.

I then have a confession to make.

I've been sneeking arround in your projects!

And wow.

A lot of new stuff and approches to solutions has been found during this year.

And this will make an even better and more impressive stack.

Dutycat AkA. Gil Gregg. You inspired me to just "keep going in one direction, forward."

You encountered so many obsticles, mistakes and huge bumps, that it's amazing that you keept on going.

I see all the Shuttle wars videos Again and Again. They are a great inspiration.

Also to mention Spaceman AkA Manfred for coming up with a solution to the foam structure on the ET.

This actually made me retrive my kit from the locker...

Heres a small list of the pile-up of warped plastic.

-Wing seams, 4 millimeters off (Top/Bottom part) at left wing, mid leading edge.

-Wing attached point front on top, raised 1 1/2 millimeter abowe the forward skirts/body.

-ET seams buckling and warping to beyond feathering by normal Means.

Rene'

Rene'

Don't worry about pausing when life gets in the way. Putting a huge project aside for awhile to rekindle your energy is sometimes just what is needed. Also, working on one or two small projects that are not so labor intensive and with which you can get more immediate results is helpful.

I am glad you are enjoying the Shuttle Wars videos. I have not posted a new one in a while because I am doing a panel by panel thermal blanket job which is just a time consuming task. Nothing really new to show until I get that done. I am about halfway through it. As Dory says...just keep swimming...just keep swimming!

Regards,

Gil