OV-102 Shuttle stack 1/72

Rene'

Don't worry about pausing when life gets in the way. Putting a huge project aside for awhile to rekindle your energy is sometimes just what is needed. Also, working on one or two small projects that are not so labor intensive and with which you can get more immediate results is helpful.

I am glad you are enjoying the Shuttle Wars videos. I have not posted a new one in a while because I am doing a panel by panel thermal blanket job which is just a time consuming task. Nothing really new to show until I get that done. I am about halfway through it. As Dory says...just keep swimming...just keep swimming!

Regards,

Gil

You are absolutely right.

And i must say i am tempted to order a "cap" from you. That might come soon.

But i spend some Cash at Ebay today, getting mail from Germany, United Kingdom and USA.

Ordered a 1/72 Revell Orbiter.

Also yet another Monogram Shuttle stack in 1/72...

And 2 bottles of Tamiya extra thin. Not oficially imported to Denmark so this is the only way to get hold of that.

I also ordered some Evergreen strips , plates and tubes at a local Danish dealer.(for TPS tiles and nose trusters etc.)

Now i need to do some shopping for Vallejo paint for the ET.

Paint primer thinner etc ordered.

And ordered a Ultrasonic cleaner to clean my airbrush +++ much more with.

So Progress is starting Again.

Edit

I also got a Itunes copy of negative return, by James N Brown, (Nooo, not Doc Emmet Brown- Back to the future.)

He has som absolutely fantastic Pictures of the shuttles and stacks etc. Some super detailed close up, other some kind of un-useually. Odd angles etc.

He also runs a site, Found Here called www.OV-103.com here you also find some of the Pictures from the book.

Rene'

Edited by x3mperformance

Rene', It's great to see you back at this build. I can't wait for more updates.

Thanks for posting the link to James N Brown's book Negative Return. I looked on his web site and he has a lot of beautiful pictures.

Mike.

Rene', It's great to see you back at this build. I can't wait for more updates.

Thanks for posting the link to James N Brown's book Negative Return. I looked on his web site and he has a lot of beautiful pictures.

Mike.

Thanks.

I have startedf to sand Down the ET, putty up some of the seems on the orbiter and some small assambly and sanding on the SRB's.

Teadeus, so i will not bother with Pictures of the process.

About the ET and Orbiter, it is "just" an attempt to rehersal, for the NeXT two kit's to arrive.

Jes the James Brown Photos are good.

A really good inspiration and source for detailing.

The Pictures are really good.

Seen a Photo taken from "behind" the shuttle, looking into the exhaust smoke from the SRB's. WoW!

That's a amazing Picture. What looks pure White in all other shots, ar suddenly filled with grey and "dirty" particles.

I am also reading the 1200+ pages of "Wings In Orbit" The story of How the shuttle and STS became a reality. That's an impressive story, and very interesting.

I also bought "Negative Return" (in PDF format), highly recommended.

So true.

Just home, and two parcels on the door steep.

A Revell orbiter and lots of Vallejo paint thinner, primer and a ultra sonic cleaner for my airbrush.

Tomorrow i can collect my Evergreen strips 'n plates and my Tamiya extra thin cement. Bought 2 bottles...

5n1a.jpg

The balls in the bag, are glass, and drops in the small bottles to help shake the paint.

7kgu.jpg

Edited by x3mperformance

Just arrived from the postoffice...

avxw.jpg

So, let the Work begin.

I have scanned the decal sheet from the Revell kit, and i will try to use the window tile decals, as a template for the Monogram orbiter.

This should ensure an "Easy'er" way to make 'em from styrene strips. (Dutycat figured out the hard way, Nothing Easy, is actually Easy!)

Found the easy way...

Just ordered a couple sets of Space shuttle Window set from AMP for 1/72.

And i also starts sanding Down the ET today, to get a smooth surface.

Ahh.

Starts good, i'm fresh and fit 4 fight.

Edited by x3mperformance

Project start. (Or where i ended a year back.)

6g49.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible... part 198758425987

va0i.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible...part 198758425988

gin0.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible... part 198758425989

x8m4.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible... part 198758425990

1rbn.jpg

Ahh... One positive thing, no seam visible bottom/side of ET from Monogram!!!

fmui.jpg

Putty work on the underside of the Orbiter's wing/fuselage joints.

5qzc.jpg

Putty Work on the upperside of the Orbiter's wing/fuselage joints.

Edited by x3mperformance

Great work so far. Yeah the wing seams and tank fit isn't all that great. Which is why I prefer to use Dutycat's procedure of busting out an orbital sander on this thing and smooth the heck out of all of it in one big swoop. Besides, using an orbital anything on an orbiter just feels right. :woot.gif:

That's also the advantage of using the rustoleum textured paint on the tank so you can sand away as much molded texture as you need to get a smooth seam without worrying about matching texture in the end.

Another thing to consider is removing the ET/SRB attach rings from the ET and building the SRB's as separate units. Makes it easier to sand and paint and you can always reattach the SRB's with a stronger rod enforced joint later. I need to get back on mine and re-do the 3D printed SRB attach rings in the correct diameter. I think it would be a welcome piece for a lot of people working on this kit.

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing more.

Bill

Here's a bit Pictures that actually shows how much putty there's actually required...

gvtr.jpg

1pa8.jpg

p9nm.jpg

Do anyone have some clear indications of, which Vallejo Air colors there are usefull for a shuttle, stack...?

I'll post a list of what i assume are usefull. Not depending on missions or configurations, or the mixing ratio of the individual colors.

70.981 Orange Brown Thanks Crowe-t

71,001 White

71,002 Medium Yellow

71,025 Dark Yellow

71,026 US Brown

71,028 Sand Yellow

71,033 Yellow Ochre

71,034 Sandy Brown

71,036 Mahagony

71,037 Mud Brown

71,040 Burnt Umber

71,048 Dark sea grey

71,050 Light Grey

71,056 Panzer dark grey

71,057 Black

71,063 Silver metallic.

71,064 Chrome metallic.

71,065 Steel metallic.

71,066 Gold metallic.

71,069 Rust metallic.

71,074 Random tan

71,080 Rust

71,083 Orange

71,085 Ferrari red

71,094 Green Zinc Chromate

71,112 US Sand.

To this i am adding: (As primer, varnish and wethering "Tools")

71,097 Grey Primer

73,600 White primer

73,601 Grey Primer

70,510 Gloss Varnish

70,520 Matt Varnish

70,522 Satin Varnish

26,518 Acrylic Matt Varnish

26,519 Acrylic Satin Varnish

76,501 Model Wash White

76,505 Model Wash Light Rust

73,212 Decal Medium

73,213 Decal Fix

Then i have ordered some tubes of Squadron Green and White putty and a bottle of Plastic Weld- Plastruct liquid glue.

I now need some of the self adhesive bandage from some of the other builds, and i should be on my way.

Edited by x3mperformance

Great work so far. Yeah the wing seams and tank fit isn't all that great. Which is why I prefer to use Dutycat's procedure of busting out an orbital sander on this thing and smooth the heck out of all of it in one big swoop. Besides, using an orbital anything on an orbiter just feels right. :woot.gif:/>

That's also the advantage of using the rustoleum textured paint on the tank so you can sand away as much molded texture as you need to get a smooth seam without worrying about matching texture in the end.

Another thing to consider is removing the ET/SRB attach rings from the ET and building the SRB's as separate units. Makes it easier to sand and paint and you can always reattach the SRB's with a stronger rod enforced joint later. I need to get back on mine and re-do the 3D printed SRB attach rings in the correct diameter. I think it would be a welcome piece for a lot of people working on this kit.

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing more.

Bill

Your right about the SRB attacher rings.

They are a pain in the B..ehind

Almost broke them of already.

Sounds interesting with the 3D printed rings, though i have another kit commin' my way...

Rene'

Nice work so far! The problem with these old kits is pretty much the same from kit to kit, whether it's the 1/72 stack or one of the 1/144 shuttle kits. Most of the seams don't seem to line up very well at all.

BTW, are you also building the Revell 1/72 shuttle along with this build?

Vallejo 70.981 Orange Brown might be a good staring color. You can always mix in one of the brown colors to darken it if necessary. I haven't used Vallejo paint for an ET so don't really know what's best but Orange Brown might be a good start.

Vallejo has a lot of brown shades so it looks like it won't be too difficult to mix a couple together to make just about any ET shade.

Edited by crowe-t

Rene'

Nice work so far! The problem with these old kits is pretty much the same from kit to kit, whether it's the 1/72 stack or one of the 1/144 shuttle kits. Most of the seams don't seem to line up very well at all.

BTW, are you also building the Revell 1/72 shuttle along with this build?

The Revel kit is also about to go into process.

I bought it to Kit Bash the two (Monogram and Revell) due to the Windows issues (Lol, who doesn't have that as a PC owner!!! ) but i mean in the Monogram orbiter the Windows are way to big.

But i found and ordered 2 sets... Ahhhmmm actually 3 of Accurate Model Parts 1/72 detailed Windows kits.

That sorted out a huge headache, since i now got 2 Monogram kits and the Revell kit aswell.

Might been "shop-amok" (Danish term, but think you all get it.) on E-bay for a few days.

I also got a Ultra sonic cleaner for my airbrush. That even cleaned my Adriatica Swiss Titanium Watch. So i can garentee that it Works.

Tested and approved. (Just a side note.)

Rene'

6g49.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible... part 198758425987

va0i.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible...part 198758425988

gin0.jpg

Allignment in my kit is horrible... part 198758425989

[

Looks exactly the same as the gaps I have on my Monogram shuttle. I'll be doing the same putty and sanding work. Just part of the hobby! The seams on the leading edges of the wings are going to be a real pain.

Looks exactly the same as the gaps I have on my Monogram shuttle. I'll be doing the same putty and sanding work. Just part of the hobby! The seams on the leading edges of the wings are going to be a real pain.

Yep.

I figured out, allright.

Just ordered 3 tubes of Squadron green and 3 Tubes of Squadron White putty.

I have 3. 1/72 Orbiters (2 with stacks.) + a 1/144 on the way...

I actually stole some small ideas from your build tread, Hotdog... Sorry.

But i have the Fisher SSME kit heading my way, where you use the Real Space Model kit.

I noticed there are a flaw in the RSM kit. There's an extra "ring" on 'em, 9 on the RSM kit, vs. 8 on the Fisher kit, just like 8 on the actually SSME. As far as i can tell.

Just found new Pictures of the different SSME's

Both kits are correct. Just like the Cutting Edge kit. My mistake. Sorry.

I presume the RSM kit is a re-worked Revell casting. Just a guess.

Edited by x3mperformance

I'm tellin' ya', Four words....OR BIT AL SANDER. You'll be glad you did. :woot.gif: The bottom of a shuttle is really one big relatively smooth surface, the best way to get that effect is by sanding the whole belly and the sander makes the work almost too easy. Tell 'em Dutycat, you know what I'm taulkin' 'bout here.

Seriously though, keep up the great work. You guys are inspiring me to bust mine back out soon.

Bill

I'm tellin' ya', Four words....OR BIT AL SANDER. You'll be glad you did. :woot.gif:/> The bottom of a shuttle is really one big relatively smooth surface, the best way to get that effect is by sanding the whole belly and the sander makes the work almost too easy. Tell 'em Dutycat, you know what I'm taulkin' 'bout here.

Seriously though, keep up the great work. You guys are inspiring me to bust mine back out soon.

Bill

LoL...

Jep.

After a full day of putty'ing n' sanding. I got one smooth underside on my Orbiter and one almost smooth ET.

Ahh, when are the mail-man gonna arrive with my Putty? Ohh, i ordered yesterday, and it's still weekend! Damn times goes slow when your having a blast!!!

Hurry Up man.

I am out of putty.

There used to be an aftermarket SILTS pod available. I forget who made it. I've seen it used on a few builds online. Perhaps you could find one and use that, or at least use it as a guide for a scratch build

Anyone know the exact dimensions on the SILTS pod on the Columbia OV-102 tail?

Scale 1/1 or...

Have battled all evening without luck in that project from the low number of Pictures i have close up on the SILTS pod.

Pictures are also wellcome.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to eyeball it with no problem, but ... in the Jenkins book, Space Shuttle, on page 437, it says " ... the pod was approximately 20 inches in diameter and was capped at the leading edge with a hemispherical dome that had two infrared-transparent windows."

Hope this helps

Pete

I think these particular images are from the Dryden collection. I have amassed a motherload of images in my quest to create an accurate shuttle orbiter so far. When I'm finished with my current shuttle builds I plan to release them all in a neat digital reference book for modelers (free of charge, of course).

Edited by Hotdog