F/A-18B Blue Angels

Started off this project back in Jan. Here's the WIP Thread if you're interested. Well... I actually started the airframe waaaay before that. See, I initially built the airframe to carry the USMC BATS squadron markings, but I changed my mind. By the time I started this Blue Angels build, the construction was probably at around 40% complete. Considering how little bench time I've had since I started this project, I was quite surprised that I could actually get this project finished so quickly.

Also, I made a lot of bad calls when I first started building this airframe back then, resulting in some very bad seam lines, steps, etc. I had to use lots of Tamiya Basic putty and Milliput to patch things up. It got so bad that I was starting to lose my mind, and I had to stop myself from trying to make it look "right", because it never would. Knowing how bad things looked when I started, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the end result. :woot.gif: It's still nowhere near the quality of the other forum members, but I'm still quite happy that mine looks the part on my shelf, from a couple of meters away. :whistle:

When I first embarked on this project, I was quite worried about the decals not being opaque enough, based on some of the feedback I get on this forum. But, they turned out to be excellent, completely opaque, thin, and very easy to apply. Either I got very bad advice, or CAM Pro Decals recently improved their products. The only bad thing about the decals is the spine decal, and the multi-part decals under the cockpit. I ended up scrapping them altogether, and painted them instead.

As far as paint goes, I used Gunze Aqueous' H328 (Blue FS 15050) and H329 (Yellow FS 13538), finished with a few layers of Tamiya Gloss Clear acrylic. For the jet exhaust, I used Citadel Boltgun Metal, highlighted with Mr Metal Color Iron. I also used Boltgun Metal and Chainmail on the metal grilles (not quite that visible on the pics).

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

'Later! :cheers:

Edited by Mike C

A few days ago, I noticed that I forgot to install the plates in front the jet intakes. I have since corrected that... So, here are a few more pics with the plates installed...

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

'Later! :cheers:

Edited by Mike C

:jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping: Mike.

My Favoritte Jet and MY favorite number 7...well then it can't get any better than that..

STUNNING and a very LOVELY Build.. :worship:

WELL DONE Mike...She looks SUPERB and the finish and the display is notewworthy ...FAB!!! :jaw-dropping: