PZL-37 Question

Hi All,

I've dragged the old Micro 72 "Los" kit for a club build, and plan to rescribe the beast. I know there were actually some raised re-inforcemnt strips in places, but it's difficult to pin them down in photos. It looks like they were on the insides of the tails and rudders, but I can't tell about the horizontal stabs, elevators or ailerons. Anybody have specific info?

Thanks,

Steve

Depending on how much info you want, you may want to get a copy of Monografie Lotnicze 100, PZL.37 Łoś, by Bernâd, Braniewski, Cynk, Glass, and Kopański to see the detail I describe below.

I assume you're asking about a 37B

Page 38: Photo showing oil coolers inboard of engines. See below for size.

Pages 67-78: Drawings. Strips are are on the inside fins and rudders above the stabilizer, underside of the stabilizer and elevator, as well as underside of ailerons. On the 37A and 37B I, the oil coolers are 0.204" wide, 0.221" long, and .025" thick in 1:72; they're 0.098" inboard of the nacelles. The 37B II has larger oil coolers, they outboard cooler is 0.38" wide and the inboard cooler is 0.192" wide, they're 0.032" apart. The outboard cooler is 0.089" from the inboard of the nacelles. Same length and thickness as 37A and 37B I.

Pages 86-89: Photos showing flaps down. The ribs on the inside of the flaps are prominent.

Page 185: Photo of port side tail showing inboard side of starboard fin and rudder.

Page 216: View of starboard rubber walkways on the wings (near the fuselage).

Page 250: Close-up of the starboard walkway.

Page 276: Drawing of upper surfaces with only starboard fin and rudder visible. Also looks like there may be a single strip on the upper mid aileron.

Page 277: Drawing of underside. Looks like they are are on the inside fins and rudders above the stabilizer, underside of the stabilizer and elevator, as well as ailerons.

Page 279: Close up the starboard upper fin and rudder.

Page 333: Rear photograph, inside port fin and rudder.

Edited by David N Lombard

I have Mirage's 1/48 PZL 37B at home. If you like, I could look it over and tell you where the raised detail is. It might not suit perfectly (depends whether yours is an A) but I understand the kit is reckoned to be reasonably faithful to the real thing.

Edited by pigsty

Should have mentioned, I'm building the B. But I'd pretty well figured out the situation with the tails..it was the horizontal stab, elevators, and ailerons that I wasn't sure about. I'll just leave the molded raised panel lines in the appropriate places, and rescribe the rest.

SN

Is it a B I or B II? One difference is the oil coolers that I described above. FWIW, they look a lot like the oil cooler on the PZL.11, here's a 3-view showing them on a B II.

Let me know and we can go over other features.

I'll have to double check..frankly I didn't know there were sub-variants of the B (didn't think they made many.) I've actually got the Part photo-etch detail set for the kit, but don't know if I'll use it..it's an awful lot of really fiddly parts they will never be seen on the finished model. I bought both the exterior and inteior sets as an impulse at my first IPMS Naitonal Convention in 2001..the PE literally cost ten times the price of the kit! The exterior set includes the oil coolers, each of which it made up of two or three dozen separate vanes, which have to be laminated together!

SN