M1511 Humvee , my first armor build

I've always loved the Humvee and decided the closest I would get to owning one is a model. This is my first attempt with armor (or is this an auto?) and I got to say that I really enjoyed it, a refreshing change from aircraft.

Build notes:

- kit was great, well fitting and very well engineered

-lots of small parts, not for a beginner

- I built most the entire lower chassis before painting mostly black ( used Tamiya NATO black). This worked out very well and p

- interior was Tamiya NATO green, seats Tamiya Kakhi

- door Windows can be a PITA, I left off all the bolt shoulders/spacers between the frame and door

- exterior desert color was a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Buff and Deck tan

- PE door hinges worked very well

- I left off the turret and top till last, they fell together/assembled fine, dropped right in

- weathering includes some washes in recesses and overspray of my my sand color in strategic areas. I kept it somewhat restrained and subtle.

- I may consider going back and adding some scratch built details of internal straps, packs, rifles, ammo pouches, etc to give the interior a lived in look.

Great kit that I would reccomend to experienced modeler's.

My picture taking skills are lacking, hopefully my details of building and painting show. In particular, the weathering doesn't show up much! See next post:

toadwbg,

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS..SPLENDID build...

:worship:

WOW !!! :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

I think it is an EXCELLENT build for your first Armor..Jolly well done sir, :salute:

Thanks Holmes. Enjoyed this build a lot. So much I'm building another- see In-progress section

Edited by toadwbg

Looks great! My biggest recommendation would be to probably see if you can scratch build some razor wire to attach to the hood (which would be tied down to the two lift points on the hood) - though that could vary per unit SOP. If you want - PM me, I may have some stuff that may interest you regarding your humvee. By the way - its an M1151, not 1511 - so you know :thumbsup: