CWH Lancaster incident

Thanks for posting. I'm glad the crew is OK and hopefully there isn't too much damage on the aircraft. I was driving by Hamilton a few years ago and saw it out flying. What an awesome sight!

Tom

The wing tip on Lancasters has always been a weak spot, if a Lanc' was put into a dive

and the pilot tried to reach its max' speed the wing tips would rip clean off.

Many Lanc's during the WWII which performed a 'corkscrew' manoeuvre to out wit a fighter ended ripping the wing tip off :bandhead2:

I am often torn by the need to preserve these rare legends of the past and my desire to see them fly in person. At Abbotsford a year and half ago, this same Lanc took forever to take off, so you knew that something was amiss, which appeared to be engine related. When it did finally take off and do a few passes, you could tell that something was wrong and the flying performance was cut short. I would rather not see it fly ever again than have it crash, of course, but I wonder about the longevity of the airframe and how long this can go on, extensive maintenance or not.

By coincidence, I was at our Calgary Air Museum today and saw our own remaining Lanc that used to sit out in the elements for many, many years on a concrete pole. Even as a kid, I used to feel sorry for the Lancaster as it suffered all sorts of environmental pain. How could such an important part of our past be stuck on a peg and allowed to deteriorate?, I often thought. Thankfully, a few years ago it was finally brought inside and refurbished. I am happy to report that it looks terrific today, with new nose art, a nice new paint job and many improvements. Whoever was a part of this refurbishing, all I can say is THANK YOU! You saved a very important part of our history, even if it never made it to the war in Europe.

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks for posting. I'm glad the crew is OK and hopefully there isn't too much damage on the aircraft.Tom

Ditto here about the crew. That's most likely the same Lanc used on the "Canada's Greatest Know It All" show. Boy, that contestant Cary was a real jerk and good he was the second person eliminated.