I have been looking at pictures on the net of the canopy for this plane. I see a couple versions but not sure which one is accurate. Was it the 2 halves that opened or just one piece with a windshield in the front?

The cockpit comprised of a forward and rear clamshell. In both cases they opened along the top edge seam and the pilot (and radar operator) climbed in through the top.

This is the 'northstar' cockpit replacement for the kit. The canopy opening is correct on this...

photos_1223400329.jpg

(this image is on ARC so I guess I can hot link it)

thanks

David

The cockpit comprised of a forward and rear clamshell. In both cases they opened along the top edge seam and the pilot (and radar operator) climbed in through the top.

Thank you sir. Nice that they give you 2 in the kit.

Will a razor cut fine enough?

Edited by Avroman

This is the 'northstar' cockpit replacement for the kit. The canopy opening is correct on this...

photos_1223400329.jpg

(this image is on ARC so I guess I can hot link it)

thanks

David

I assume this is in 1/48? :(

Yeah, that's a 1:48 cockpit replacement. I'm not even sure it's still available now, but when it was, it was as expensive as the core kit itself. And considering how little you see of the cockpit on this aircraft (even with the clam shell open) well... you sort of have to think long and hard before doubling the cost of the kit.

Wow, that aircraft must have been a pain to get in and out of without stomping all over equipment.

Are there any 1/72 decals around for it? I picked up the old Astra vac-form kit last summer and it doesn't come with any. I checked with CanMilAir but they only accept PayPal which I don't have and didn't respond to my request for an alternate payment option.

I also just got the Aurora 1/80 kit from a vendor at DownEastCon, I think maybe I can use a lot of the landing gear from that for the Astra kit.

The Aurora kit is worth about $200 if it's in good condition. I would never build an Aurora kit. One, it's a collectors item, and two, it doesn't build into a good Arrow model anyway.

As for 1/72 markings, Arrow Graphics made a good set a few years ago. Not sure if you can get them down there but if you get up to Toronto then I know that Panther Hobbies has a bunch of these in a box. Arrow Graphics did the decals for the Astra Kit (which is why I'm surprised your kit doesn't have any). Or if you get really desperate, find yourself the hobby craft 1/72 arrow kit and use the decals. Or if you get really, really, really desperate, I'll see if I can dig up a spare set of 1/72 markings and send them to you. The nice thing about the Arrow is that because the aircraft was white, you can print off decals on a laser printer and they'll work just fine.

The Aurora kit is worth about $200 if it's in good condition. I would never build an Aurora kit. One, it's a collectors item, and two, it doesn't build into a good Arrow model anyway.

As for 1/72 markings, Arrow Graphics made a good set a few years ago. Not sure if you can get them down there but if you get up to Toronto then I know that Panther Hobbies has a bunch of these in a box. Arrow Graphics did the decals for the Astra Kit (which is why I'm surprised your kit doesn't have any). Or if you get really desperate, find yourself the hobby craft 1/72 arrow kit and use the decals. Or if you get really, really, really desperate, I'll see if I can dig up a spare set of 1/72 markings and send them to you. The nice thing about the Arrow is that because the aircraft was white, you can print off decals on a laser printer and they'll work just fine.

The Astra kit was five bucks second hand. That's probably why there were no decals. The instructions and plan sheets in the kit were worth the five bucks.

The Aurora kit was 13 bucks, not in mint condition but all the parts, instructions and decals are there and the box is in fair to good shape. I searched the web for pricing and 13 bucks seemed about par. Let me know someone that wants it for 200 bucks and they can buy mine! Or even 100. I can scratch build landing gear.

I plan on going to the Hamilton air show so maybe I'll go through Toronto one direction or the other. Thanks!

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

$13 seems strangely low. The LHS I used to frequent in Vancouver had one, mint in the box (still wrapped in plastic) that he was asking $180 for. I saw a similar one at a model show here a few weeks ago and people were talking about how good of a deal it was at $150. www.oldmodelkits.com has listed it well over $100 when they've had one in stock.

Yes the drawings alone for the Astra kit are well worth the price I paid for my full kit way back when. Although there are more accurate drawings out there (I have a set of 1:48 drawings that are just superb) they're still something I could see myself mounting and hanging on the wall.

The Astra kit was five bucks second hand. That's probably why there were no decals. The instructions and plan sheets in the kit were worth the five bucks.

The Aurora kit was 13 bucks, not in mint condition but all the parts, instructions and decals are there and the box is in fair to good shape. I searched the web for pricing and 13 bucks seemed about par. Let me know someone that wants it for 200 bucks and they can buy mine! Or even 100. I can scratch build landing gear.

I plan on going to the Hamilton air show so maybe I'll go through Toronto one direction or the other. Thanks!

As Avroman mentioned, you can ask Hobbycraft for a set and if you ask really nicely, you may get the landing gears from them too. I had an earlier Hobbycraft release with really bad decals and asked for the newer ones and they kindly responded with a fresh new set.

Great catch on the Astra kit as it IMHO is the only real 1/72 scale Avro Arrow out there. As for you Aurora kit, see how much oldmodelkits.com will give you for it unless your a collector of vintage kits. That and Hobbycraft's is the worst Arrow but atleast the Hobbycraft is alot more cheaper and accessible to cut and reshape into something that can be made to look more like the Arrow - time and great patience is required; this from experience.

Also if you haven't got one yet, get the "Avro Arrow: The Story of the Avro Arrow from it's evolution to it's extinction" book by the Arrowheads. It's a very good reference book and a good read.

$13 seems strangely low. The LHS I used to frequent in Vancouver had one, mint in the box (still wrapped in plastic) that he was asking $180 for. I saw a similar one at a model show here a few weeks ago and people were talking about how good of a deal it was at $150. www.oldmodelkits.com has listed it well over $100 when they've had one in stock.

Yes the drawings alone for the Astra kit are well worth the price I paid for my full kit way back when. Although there are more accurate drawings out there (I have a set of 1:48 drawings that are just superb) they're still something I could see myself mounting and hanging on the wall.

RiderFan, Grey Ghost 531's Aurora Arrow sounds to be in non collector's condition but $13 US is strangely low and that DownEastCon vendor might just not know or was clearing it out because it was collecting dust and not cash. Also, what shop in Vancouver had one? Yikes, $150 is a good deal. I'd rather spend it on getting a MasterCasters resin detail set for the 1/48 scale Hobbycraft CF-105.

Aside from the hobbytalk, how do think the Greenmachine will do this coming CFL season?

I'd rather spend it on getting a MasterCasters resin detail set for the 1/48 scale Hobbycraft CF-105.

Aside from the hobbytalk, how do think the Greenmachine will do this coming CFL season?

The LHS in Vancouver that had one was Burnaby Hobbies. But that was a couple of years ago. I don't think he has it anymore.

I have all the master caster detail sets and they're not really worth it in my opinion. I have a build thread here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=215269 that details what you get in those sets and really you can do just as well on your own. The cockpit in the Arrow was fairly sparse to begin with and given the canopy design, you can't see much inside anyway. So any details you add to the kit parts will do just fine. The resin seats are not very well defined at all so even those are not worth the time to clean up. The gear bays are impossible to get off the casting block and they're not accurate. The resin engine details don't resemble any engine I've ever seen. Certainly not the J75 and absolutely not the Iroquois.

As for the 'Riders, well, they can only improve over last year. Yikes.

I'd rather spend it on getting a MasterCasters resin detail set for the 1/48 scale Hobbycraft CF-105.

Me too. There are some out there but very hard to find or get, specially if you dont like buying online.

If you're not doing anything this Saturday, the IPMS Plattsburgh show is on and I'll be there. It's at the Holiday Inn. If you're interested I can send you the info on it. The entry fee for the show is a flat $5.00 no matter how many kits you enter.

I can bring the Aurora kit if you'd like to see it. It was an older gentleman selling off what looks like it was in the in the attic I think, he had a random collection of mostly old stuff. I didn't look very closely as I'm not a collector. I only bought the Arrow because I thought it might donate its landing gear to the Astra kit and it was only 13 bucks. I'll have to check on the recommended books. I was at CapCon last year and the shop in the Air Force Museum didn't have any Arrow-specific books or I would have gotten them. I did grab a couple of DVDs and the wife and I each have an Arrow T-shirt. She's the reason I got the Astra kit as she really took a liking to the lines of the Arrow.

That sounds like a great offer but I'm going to be in Ottawa all weekend.

The Astra kit, as mentioned, is the best 1:72 version made to date. Out of production now, and a vacuform kit so a bit more challenging to put together, but the end result is a really really nice model.

The Aurora kit was made from some "super top secret" artists renditions from some AV Roe marketing materials. Then the Hobbycraft kit was basically made from the Aurora kit so neither is correct. The Astra kit is actually done from the real drawings. So is pretty accurate when finished.

As far as books go, "The Avro Arrow" by Boston Mills Press is pretty much the de facto standard for Arrow books.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Avro-Arrow-Story-Avro-Arrow-Boston-Mills-Press/9781550460476-item.html?ikwid=avro+arrow&ikwsec=Home

Edited by RiderFan

The LHS in Vancouver that had one was Burnaby Hobbies. But that was a couple of years ago. I don't think he has it anymore.

I have all the master caster detail sets and they're not really worth it in my opinion. I have a build thread here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=215269 that details what you get in those sets and really you can do just as well on your own. The cockpit in the Arrow was fairly sparse to begin with and given the canopy design, you can't see much inside anyway. So any details you add to the kit parts will do just fine. The resin seats are not very well defined at all so even those are not worth the time to clean up. The gear bays are impossible to get off the casting block and they're not accurate. The resin engine details don't resemble any engine I've ever seen. Certainly not the J75 and absolutely not the Iroquois.

I wonder who Dave sold it to. That guy must be a bigtime collector and needed it bad. Good for Dave.

I thought I was the only one who notice resin engine details as not being an Iroquois or J75. It maybe of Soviet origin? Wow, is it that nasty to work with. I only would like to have it for the cockpit, landing gears and wheel wells details. The only main thing I don't like very much is Hobbycraft using decals for the instrument panels if they did what Monogram does, which is found on the 1/48 CF-100 Clunks, I'd be pretty happy with the kit.

Edited by aerofan

I have a build thread here: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=215269 that details what you get in those sets and really you can do just as well on your own.

Sooooo.... Where's it stand now? Is it done? I'm interested in seeing it finished (though I'm one to talk, lol...) :cheers:

After two moves, it's still sitting unfinished packed carefully away in a box. When I get a place to display it, I'll pull it out and finish it up. I used to have several Arrow's of various scales in my collection. But after a few moves, attrition has left me with none.

I think there's going to be little green gopher guts, from east to west this year. My neighbours have keep an empty box of darrien oh's (special riders pckage of Cheerios). In his window just so I can throw snowballs at it. Makes a great target just like the riders.