1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C VMFA-122 Werewolves

Well with the F-14B picking up speed I started looking at my next project and see that it qualifies for the GB. I will be building a Hasegawa F/A-18C from VMFA-122 Werewolves during thier deployment to Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2008. I will be building plane number 13, BuNo 164278. This jet was flown by Capt. J "Skitzo" Penney. Skitzo is a now a Major in the Royal Canadian Air Force who was on exchange with VMFA-122 during this time frame. Skitzo is now in 425 squadron and will be leaving this summer and I want to surprise him with this as a parting gift.

The kit and decals from Flying Leathernecks:

101_3425.jpg

101_3428.jpg

Line art of Skitzo's jet:

FL48022-164278-13.jpg

Cockpit done and installed:

101_3441.jpg

101_3443.jpg

Wings, nose, tanks and wing pylons are together and I will be using the SJU-17 NACES from a Revell F-14D Kit fot the ejection seat:

101_3434.jpg

101_3433.jpg

Happy Modelling.

-Denis

Edited by EX_Birdgunner

At this stage of assembly, you should forgo the kit instructions and glue the aft fuselage side panels in before gluing the fuselage halves together, it will give you better control of that side panel seam.

Curt

I'be built several of the Hasegawa Hornets OOB and they are fine without any extra counterweight in the nose.

Thanks for the info Warthoglvr.

Another quick question. I was planning on scratch building the IFF, Blade and GPS Antennas. But if that does not work out is there any AM that gives just that or will I have to get the full nose replacement from either MAW-Decals or Wolfpack Designs?

MAW

Wolfpack

-Denis

Your other option for the IFF, Blade, and GPS antennas is to get the "M" sprue from a newer special release kit or find someone who has an extra sprue... PM me if you are interested in a trade. :)

Thanks for that info Graves. PM sent.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I've been away on training for the last few weeks and I brought along my Hornet to work on in the evenings. Now I have time to update this WIP.

I have the fuselage together and puttied:

IMG_1632.jpg

The decal instructions called for the tail brackets to be deleted for Skitzo's jet so I filled in the gaps with the bits from the sprue that has the numbers on it:

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

I then sanded them down flush with the fuselage:

IMG_1644.jpg

My airbrush nozzel is broken so I can't do fine lines hence the not so nice pre-shading. Also, my base coat of light grey looked too dark:

IMG_1830.jpg

Installed the IFF antannaie on the nose. To do this I made a guide out of sheet styrene based on a template provided by Flying Leathernecks:

100_3450.jpg

100_3451.jpg

Next up is the canopy.

Happy modelling,

Denis

Edited by EX_Birdgunner

Worked on the main canopy. I tried something new, a 7-step nail file/polisher followed by a dip in future. I was happy with the results.

After steps 1-3 for sanding:

100_3453.jpg

After steps 4 & 5 Buffing:

100_3454.jpg

Steps 6 & 7 for polishing:

100_3455.jpg

After the dip in future:

100_3458.jpg

Now I have to finish painting this bird and move on to decals. Can't wait.

Denis

• 3 weeks later...

Only 2 weeks left, should be able to get this done on time. Fortunately, I have the next 2 weeks off before I deploy to the Middle East. Might even be able to get the Tomcat done too! :D

I got the pitot tubes and antennas on. Notice the blade antennas and GPS dome. Thanks to Graves_09 for the "M" Sprue which also had the IFF antenna. Then able to get paint done and a coat of future to prep for decals.

100_3460.jpg

100_3461.jpg

100_3464.jpg

100_3462.jpg

Got started with decals. Since the tails, elevators, and other bits were ready first I got started with them.

100_3465.jpg

100_3466.jpg

Weapons and ordnance is also done. Probably going to put a darker coat of grey on the Lightning pod though.

100_3471.jpg

Now to wait for the future to dry on the main fuselage and I can start putting on those decals. Meanwhile I will finish up the ejection seat.

Happy Modelling.

Denis

Decals are on!!!!

Just finished putting on the decals. Phew, there are a lot of data decals, I was in "No Step" hell for a while. I got the tails put on and put some Tamiya Smoke to represent the codite dust on the nose from the gun.

100_3476.jpg

100_3477.jpg

100_3478.jpg

100_3479.jpg

100_3483.jpg

100_3482.jpg

100_3480.jpg

100_3481.jpg

I had a small crisis when I removed a piece of tape I used to keep the tails aligned while the glue was setting. I didn't notice that one side was over top of the "3" on the right tail. Since the decals are not sealed yet almost all of the "3" was removed with the tape. :bandhead2: No worries right, just use another "3" from the sheet. But there are none! :angry: Seems that VMFA-122 did not have a number 3 jet. So I used part of a 2 and part of a 5 to fix the 3. Looks good to me. What do you think?

Before:

100_3474.jpg

After:

100_3475.jpg

(There is micro sol on the 3 so that is why it looks wrinkled.)

Now to seal it all in and finish up.

Happy Modelling!

Denis

A few more...

The seat form the revell tomcat was too high so I ended up using the kit seat and added lead foil seat belts to "represent" a NACES.

100_3501.jpg

100_3502.jpg

The nice tail art is probably some of the most bad *** I have ever seen:

100_3500.jpg

Close up of the port side of the cockpit with Skitzo's name. I'll be giving this jet to him next week at his mug out. :beer4:

100_3497.jpg

I'll be placing a few pics in the finished builds thread. Hmmm....wonder if I can get that Tomcat done in a week? :hmmm:

Thanks for watching.

:cheers:

Denis