P-40 wreck

I think I've got this figured out. The plane was being flown by Bigfoot, and was carrying Barack Obama's Kenyan birth certificate and the Bush Administration's 9/11 attack plans. While passing over Dallas, it took fire from the Grassy Knoll, incapacitating the pilot. The plane continued on into New Mexico, where it was caught in an alien hyperspace vortex near Roswell, and exited over the Sahara in 1942.

Seriously...why all the conspiracy nonsense, folks? Why it is so hard to believe that someone stumbled across the forgotten wreck of a small aircraft in the middle several thousand square miles of some of the harshest wasteland on the planet? As for why it has lain undisturbed, this is the middle of the Sahara..the people who found it were only there because they had a reason to be there. It wasn't stripped by locals, because the environment is so remote and hostile that there are no locals. Don't forget, the "Lady Be Good" was completely untouched for 16 years until accidentally found by an oil survey crew. And it wasn't "locals" who stripped her..she was dissected by USAF investigators then later stripped and hacked apart by Western souvenir hunters, and that was only after she became well known in the media. Back in the 90s many WWII aircraft were found in the former Soviet Union that had simply been left where they fell and forgotten. And this was in an area far less remote and hostile than the Sahara.

SN

I think I've got this figured out. The plane was being flown by Bigfoot, and was carrying Barack Obama's Kenyan birth certificate and the Bush Administration's 9/11 attack plans. While passing over Dallas, it took fire from the Grassy Knoll, incapacitating the pilot. The plane continued on into New Mexico, where it was caught in an alien hyperspace vortex near Roswell, and exited over the Sahara in 1942.

Possibly, but I think the more likely explanation is that this is one of the studio props that NASA used to help figure out how to fake the photos and video of the "moon landings". :)

I actually believe that this thread is a complete and total fake.

I also believe all the other threads on the Internet are complete and total fakes as well.

None of you people actually exist, you were all created by some pimply 15 year old with WAAAYYY too much time on his hands, who has access to photoshop.

In fact, I do not exist either...I am but a figment of my own imagination.

Ahh the internet, the bastard child of bravado and chutzpah, with a hint of aggression thrown in for good measure!

What happened Internet, we used to be so cool?

:wierdo:

:monkeydance:

:monkeydance:

Cool!!

Yes it is. Healthy scepticism is one thing but the cynical "certainty" that this was a fake displayed all over the internet is a bit puzzling. Lots of humble pie to be eaten by the many now,though I suspect they will remain strangely silent.

Cheers

Steve

Why wouldn't the first thing they look for be bullets?

Could you even fire those out of any modern weapon?

Depending on the model, P-40s had either .50 and 3.06 guns, or just .50s ( I believe the British ones had .303 in the wings, that being their standard caliber). Many guns made today fire one of those three calibers. The two 30 caliber rounds are available off the shelf in many gun stores. 50 caliber is available as well, but harder to find and much more expensive.

Those look like .50s to me. Still fired by the US M2 Machine gun (Ma Duece) and Barret sniper rifles.

In a dry environment like that, the ammo might still be shootable. But the high heat would almost certainly have deteriorated the powder. Heat and moisture being gunpowder's two prime enemies.

I personally have shot ammo made during WWII, but it was sealed and stored in a cool, dry environment.

Edited by dmk0210

Why wouldn't the first thing they look for be bullets?

So it doesn't fall into the wrong hands? Because the first thing done at a wreck site is to remove hazardous materials?

Ken

Wonder what all the naysayers, CGI, and photoshop "experts" have to say now.

Alvin5182

I admit I was wrong but with the advent of CGI and the widespread amount of "fake anything on the net" it is easy not to be trustworthy. There were certainly some strong arguements that it was a fake. Initially I thought it was real but then I started listening and looking. I then switched to the fake camp. Now I am back in the real camp.

The world is full of sceptics, without them there would be twice as many con-men.

I will refrain from judging these pics, but on some other forums that are alsodiscussing the pics, some are saying that the area looks very much like the Libyan Sahara. Narrows it down a bit to where it might be if the pics are real.

Wonder what all the naysayers, CGI, and photoshop "experts" have to say now.

Experts? Who said that? It perplexes me no end that people think that just because someone questions something automatically means they are trying to prove that they know better. Far from it. Thank goodness for people who question everything. If they didn't, you'd still "know" the earth was flat. You'd "know" that the best treatment for just about any disease would be to examine your turds and bleed you into hypovolemic shock. You would "know" for a fact that all WWII Luftwaffe airplanes were painted 70/71/65 (if you're not aware, that was what we "knew" in the 1960s).

Just because we question what we see doesn't mean we profess to know all the answers, and frankly I'm getting a little tired of that erroneous assumption. I'm a nurse. Thank *goodness* we don't take everything we see in medicine at face value (and you'd better be glad as well). We use what's called "evidence based practice", which means we examine *everything* we "know" and everything we do, and we take absolutely ****nothing**** at face value. We throw out all of our assumptions about everything, and only accept as fact what is proven to be fact by way of highly relevant and strong clinical research. If it turns out something we thought was true really is, then that's great. But as often as not (more often, in fact), our knowledge turns out to be wrong to some degree, and many of our practices turn out to be detrimental.

So, because some people don't take everything that passes in front of their nose at face value doesn't in any way mean that we profess to know better. A wise person once said "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof". Finding a pristine P-40 intact in the Egyptian desert in 2012 is just about the dictionary definition of and extraordinary claim. Three or four photos published in some obscure online discussion forum hardly constitutes extraordinary proof in my book. Especially so in these days of CGI that pushes the boundary between real and fake.

I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong, and I'm extremely excited to have been wrong in this case. How cool is this discovery? Very cool.

Wouldn't it be cool if this one were true? But I'm afraid evidence just doesn't support it...

xwing2.jpg

Edited by Jennings

. There were certainly some strong arguements that it was a fake.

I have a scientific background and as I said before a bit of healthy scepticism is a good thing. The problem is that there were no strong arguments that this was fake.This left a distinct possibility that it was genuine.

There were a lot of self proclaimed experts on various sites stating that it was "obviously" photoshopped or CGI or some other technically possible fake with absolutely no evidence to back up their assumptions. This amounts to speculation which is neither evidence nor a strong argument.

I refrained from jumping into either camp as the initial evidence,the original stills posted,had not convinced me either way.In science this is called keeping an open mind. The testimony of someone familiar with the P-40 (rivet patterns etc) had me hoping that this was genuine. It is only the the emergeance of further evidence,the videos,which has convinced that this is genuine.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stona

Whoa. I have to admit this is really cool and I was wrong; I wish they had posted the video first.

I am a trained scientist, and I don't see anything wrong with questioning the scant evidence we have been provided at first. So a little skepticism is OK when making fun of Trumpeter's future release announcements; but is somehow taboo when someone posts a couple unconvincing photos of an airplane in the middle of the desert? I am glad we discussed it and had fun; here's hoping that the airplane ends up in worthwhile hands.

Edited by KursadA

I can only hope that it goes to a museum as well. Honestly I think it would be best to not restore it and leave it as found on display. As for the removal of the ammo I imagine it is being removed so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. It looks to be .50 caliber from what I can see. .50 is still a fairly common ammo that is still used. Now let's figure out the rest of the story and what happened to the pilot.

As long as those aren't already the wrong hands removing the ammo...

Do we know who these people are that are in these videos? Who's claiming the wreckage?

I've read on other forums that they are the members of the Egyptian military. Now whether this is true or not I have no idea. I would assume that being a RAF plane that eventually the British government would claim the wreckage. But it really all depends. I know the US Navy still claims all wreckage from their planes as their own. Well unless they decide to give somebody the rights to it, which doesn't happen all that often.