Italeri Mig-21MF 1/48 kit ex Academy

It's not all that accurate.

The Academy kit looks like it's based on either the Fujimi kit or at least the same research - the entire forward fuselage is too fat / swollen, the wheel bulges above the wing are in the wrong place, etc.

I'm sure Laurent is to chime in at any moment. ;)

In short, you're better off with the Eduard MiG-21MF.

Cheers,

Andre

^ Their MiG-21bis has one option for an Indian bird. According to the April 2012 issue of Info Eduard (LINK, see page 36), there'll be a "Limited Edition" boxing of the MiG-21MF/bis in Indian service.

Really hope they'll do the Indian special in 1/144 also. :thumbsup:

Nice rebox of the Academy kit (if you are into that sort of thing). Nice decal sheet, the only problem is that the Hungarian AF aircraft is according to Italeri is a MiG-21 MF but in real life it was a MiG-21 bis!!!!!!! I know it is a "marginal" problem and it should be overlooked (just as I will build an F-16C Block 125 from a F-16 Block 5 aircraft out of box and say that the differeneces are "marginal"!!!) :D :D :D

At least the Italeri decal designers got the proportions of the Hungarian national marking right, unlike the Eduard in the Weekend edition (dedicated to the Hungarian AF) in 48th scale (but in 144 it is just as wrong shaped, wrong proportions of national colours . . . )

Sure the Italeri kit is going to be a fraction of the Eduard's price but is the work needed to do anything good our of it is worth investing???

Best regards

Gabor

Sure the Italeri kit is going to be a fraction of the Eduard's price but is the work needed to do anything good our of it is worth investing???

Best regards

Gabor

Not really. Italeri likes to overprice.

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/italeri-mig21mf-fishbed-2715-p-40765.html

vs

http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/eduard-mikoyan-mig21bis-weekend-edition-84131-p-40450.html

Or even cheaper:

http://www.hobbyshop.cz/shop/1-48-plastic-kits/7319-mig-21bis-weekend-1-48-kit.html

Eduard, hands down.

When the Afterburner sheets finally get printed later this year, there are three Indian birds on it. Honestly, I'm not impressed with the decals in the Eduard kits. The ones to date have had numerous problems with accuracy.

^ Their MiG-21bis has one option for an Indian bird. According to the April 2012 issue of Info Eduard (LINK, see page 36), there'll be a "Limited Edition" boxing of the MiG-21MF/bis in Indian service.

Really hope they'll do the Indian special in 1/144 also. :thumbsup:

Good...

But I would like this scheme:

italeri

Are there decals around?????

Simone.

I know that "Berkut" and I seldom see eye to eye, but I agree with him 200% here. I would not waste time and money on the Italeri kit.I know that the 21MF from Academy did have Indian decals. I have one in front of me. I bought it on eBay for $9 +$6.50 shipping. I have about five of them fr between $7 and $9 each. They will be used to kitbash with the OEZ kit for a decent 21MF. Between the two kits and a good vac MF canopy it will make an outstanding kit. The OEZ has a good scale fuse as long as the canopy is changed and the Academy has very nice wings and tail planes. The Academy (I guess now Italeri) 21 Fuse is WAY off whack. Not even close to scale. The vertical tail is also the wrong size and shape. I have four or five of each kit which I always paid under $10 each for. That will make 5 good 21s. With the exception of the canopy the OEZ kit is MUCH closer to scale than the Academy kit. The academy kit is just more modern and has better detail. Unfortunately much of it is wrong. If you look at the Academy kit from the profile it looks strange. It looks nice from the top and bottom though. The Eduard MiG is by far the best. Not perfect but nothing ever is but it is the best. I will be willing to bet that the Italeri kit will be close to if not the same money as the Eduard kit. I would not be surprised if the Eduard weekend addition kit will not actually be less expensive than the Italeri. I know that prices are different for all of these kits depending on where you live in this world but here in the US Italeri kits are becoming a big joke. The fowl Italeri Skyraider for instance costs $10 more than the Tamiya exquisite kit. The Monogram Skyraider is way beyond the Italeri in scale AND detail and it is less than half the price of the Italeri kit. This is just one example. I also like the MiG-21 and like the various Czech schemes. I can build 20 of them and every one would be different. I figure that I still have at least another 40+ years in my life and in that time I might be able to manage three or four.

Edited by Otto

When the Afterburner sheets finally get printed later this year, there are three Indian birds on it. Honestly, I'm not impressed with the decals in the Eduard kits. The ones to date have had numerous problems with accuracy.

Jennings,

Do you know if there is more of an endemic problem with Eduard and decals? I don't have many of their kits, but the 1/48 Mirage IIICJ markings were also pretty off. The sheet looked gorgeous but ended up being pretty unusable...

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Jennings, I too would like to know what the inaccuracies are with the Eduard Indian Mig decals. I ordered one online for a friend & am waiting for it to be shipped.