Very interesting Huey, it has a PT-6 engine, original Huey Tail Rotor but in the right side, interesting...

Rod.

Rod,

I had assumed that bird started life as a civilian 205A. The right handed tail rotor was standard from the beginning on civil 205s. However, the data on it indicates she was actually built as 64-13697 which would have been a Army UH-1D. Maybe she got the right handed tail rotor at the same time as the PT-6 engine.

Now that I think of it, you did post a pic of another Huey with PT-6 didn't you. Do you happen to remember which thread it was in?

Ray

Hi Ray, nice explanation, surely that mod is great. Ray, yeah,i posted a photo of a Huey with the PT-6, i think i posted in Bell beauty shots thread, check it out or if you want i could send it to you, i think its the same bird.

Greetings.

Rod.

Here is a really great list. It is about two years old so I took out what I know to be gone. I am not even sure if some these still have them.

•CARA Aviation section Phillips AAF Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland

•ABNSOTD Aviation branch Simmons AAF, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

•Redstone AAF, (ATTC) Redstone Arsenal , Alabama

•Range Operations Directorate (WSMR) Holloman AFB, New Mexico

•Yuma Proving Ground Air operations Department Laguna AAF, Yuma, Arizona

•21st Cavalry Brigade (Air Combat) HHT/ 21st CAV Hood AAF, Fort Hood, Texas

•Redstone Arsenal (AMCOM) Alabama

•Lakehurst NAES, NJ 12WD Flight Activity (CERDEC)

•NVESD Air Systems division Davison AAF, Fort Belvoir, Virginia

•Aviation Applied Technology Directorate (AMRDEC) Felker AAF, Fort Eustis, Virginia

This was in today's daily official DoD contracts release:

Creative Business Solutions, Inc., Mitchellville, Md.; Cirrus Technology, Inc., Huntsville, Ala.; Infinite Services and Solutions, Inc., Columbus, Ga.; and Standard Technology, Inc., Warner Robins, Ga., are being awarded a $12,000,000 firm-fixed-price, cost-reimbursable no-fee contract to provide logistics support for the acquisition, fielding, and sustainment of H-60, H-1 (variant), CV-22, and other special mission aircraft modification programs. The locations of performance are Mitchellville, Md.; Huntsville, Ala.; Columbus, Ga.; and Warner Robins, Ga. Work is to be completed by June 20, 2012. WR-ALC/GRUKB, Warner Robins Air Force Base, Ga., is the contracting activity (FA8552-12-D-0001).

Not sure what to make of "H-1 (variant)", but it might be interesting to do a little digging on that one.

I'm guessing they mean the UH-1Y and Possibly AH-1Z variants, but it's just a guess.

Ray

Well this was a USAF contract, so I'm guessing its not related to the USMC's H-1 upgrade programs. I would guess the TH-1H/Huey II bit as well, but was interested to see it in a sentence ending with "...and other special mission aircraft modification programs."

Edited by thatguy96

Well this was a USAF contract, so I'm guessing its not related to the USMC's H-1 upgrade programs. I would guess the TH-1H/Huey II bit as well, but was interested to see it in a sentence ending with "...and other special mission aircraft modification programs."

I'm sure you are right. currently the Air Force still has UH-1H trainers as well as TH-1H's and of course the UH-1N is in their inventory as well. So I guess "H-1 variants" would be appropriate.

Ray

• 4 months later...

It appears the US Army and the Huey haven't quite cut the ties with one another yet. THIS contract announced late last week indicates that the test activity likes their Hueys and even wants to UPGRADE them! Woo Hoo. Now to figure out how to get a photoshoot with a US Army Huey II.

Ray

Ray, i think those birds will be for foreign Air Forces, El Salvador is one of them that the US might deliver Huey II, i think Colombia is too.

But, if this Hueys II will be for the Army, that will be super cool.... Huey II vs Lakota??? definitly a Huey II all the way!

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Ray, i think those birds will be for foreign Air Forces, El Salvador is one of them that the US might deliver Huey II, i think Colombia is too.

But, if this Hueys II will be for the Army, that will be super cool.... Huey II vs Lakota??? definitly a Huey II all the way!

Rod.

Rod,

I'm about 95% sure these birds are for the Army Aviation Test Activity since Redstone is cited in the piece. I know for a fact that White Sands wanted to keep their Hueys and I have heard the same about Redstone. If and when I find out something conclusive, I'll let you guys know.

Ray

Rod,

I'm about 95% sure these birds are for the Army Aviation Test Activity since Redstone is cited in the piece. I know for a fact that White Sands wanted to keep their Hueys and I have heard the same about Redstone. If and when I find out something conclusive, I'll let you guys know.

Ray

Had a dark green Huey fly over my house yesterday morning. This was after seeing CH-53E's, an HH-60H, and an SH-60 fly over in the past few days.