Often in these forums we say the only dumb question is the one not asked. Well dagnabbit I got one, and yes I've been schloshing paint and slopping glue for a long time, with a few breaks here and there, but of late I'm noticing some guys applying paint where two parts are going to be joined. Any and everything I've learned or been told says that you don't put paint where two parts are to be glued. So the question is what kind of glue are those folks who do this using?. I mask these points using liquid masks, tape or what ever fits the situation. Could it be that I'm missing something in the process if so, it won't be the first time. Is this a feeble attempt to find and easy way to do the perfect build; nope that animal does not exist, the best modelers on this planet have never done a perfect build, by the pure definition of the term. Some builds are just so awesome they look perfect to eye. I would like to know what adhesive those folks who paint places like the fuselage where the windscreen joins and then glue it without having masked or removing the paint before the piece is attached? .

What ever they are doing it's wrong.....

If using liquid glue it will cut through the paint but it will also cause an ooze to form at the glue seam.

If using CA then it will stick to the paint, but just the paint to part adhesion will be the gluing force.

There's no magic glue.

Curt

Yep! Wrong way! BUT... By oath I'm DOING IT! WHY? Because I'm lazy! HAR HAR HAR! :woot.gif:

Been doing that for all my builds. But then again, I build for fun, and to fill my shelves. Not to enter any sort of competition. So... I don't give a toss about "perfection". Yes, there are times I got some ooze, but that's usually fixable.

In terms of what sort of glue I use... I only ever use Tamiya cement.

Ethylacetat (thin like Tamiya glue) doesn't care for acrylic paint, it just dissolves it. So yes, I do glue parts together that have paint on it. After all, it is just one layer of paint, not the "paint, gloss, decal, gloss, flat" type of layer. If it oozes, well, that's what fingernail sanding and polishing sticks are for. And since fuselages get glued together and then painted - where is the problem?

Cheers

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Wieking

Never had any issues with weak bonds, but on the other hand - which parts do usually get painted before being glued together? Mostly Cockpit parts, undercarriage, drop tanks and weapons, so parts that usually are not under physical stress (maybe the undercarriage on big planes).

Cheers

Thorsten

Never had any issues with weak bonds, but on the other hand - which parts do usually get painted before being glued together? Mostly Cockpit parts, undercarriage, drop tanks and weapons, so parts that usually are not under physical stress (maybe the undercarriage on big planes).

For weapons, drop tanks, etc, I pin them on with small sections of paperclip wire friction fit into pre-drilled holes. That way you can paint them without worry of a weak glue bond.

Edited by dmk0210

I guess the part I find the most humorous about this is people are constantly say to me... "Wow, I just don't have the patience to build something that takes 3 months to do" or something like that... and all us here have probably heard the same thing... give or take. Yet when I think about all the patience it really does take to make a good model, it make me snicker when a guys here says "I'm too lazy to scrap the paint off" which AT BEST might take 30 seconds to do, and most likely 10 seconds! 4 hours to make seat belts out of tape and wire... no problem. Scrapping paint off... THAT's too much work... that's where I'm drawing the line!

I guess the part I find the most humorous about this is people are constantly say to me... "Wow, I just don't have the patience to build something that takes 3 months to do" or something like that... and all us here have probably heard the same thing... give or take. Yet when I think about all the patience it really does take to make a good model, it make me snicker when a guys here says "I'm too lazy to scrap the paint off" which AT BEST might take 30 seconds to do, and most likely 10 seconds! 4 hours to make seat belts out of tape and wire... no problem. Scrapping paint off... THAT's too much work... that's where I'm drawing the line!

I see your point. I don't have the patience to deal with a lot of tiny PE bits and such, but I like to take my time with removing paint where glue goes, waiting days to let paint fully cure and careful masking.

Edited by dmk0210