1/72 Ace Combat Shiden 2

Pre-ordered it as soon as it was available. :) Now comes the difficult part: waiting for July. :(

I'd honestly be thrilled to see more of the Ace Combat super jets like the XFA-27 and CFA-44, considering how Namco Bandai now seems to be in a cordial relationship with Hasegawa, thanks to the Idolmaster planes.

While I likely won't pre-order due to lack of funds, I am certainly interested in acquiring one of these when they come out as it looks like a very nice merging of SF with real life for a speculative jet with some great "what if" markings possibilities.

Given that I've seen the new Fujimi F-22 and F-35 kits in the shops here in Texas asking $50-60 retail, the price on the Shinden 2 really isn't bad. Less than I paid for my Global hawk, and a heck of a lot cooler!! :woot.gif:

Namco Bandai and GA Graphics released a reference book for the ASF-X/F-3 a few weeks ago, packed with lots of info and developmental history (entirely fictional, of course, but it does draw some inspiration from real life items and events such as the F-X requirement and America's rejection of Japan's request for F-22s). It's really amazing that they took the effort to come up with such a comprehensive history and background for a plane which doesn't exist in real life.

Some inside shots of the book. The photos here really don't do the pictures justice, you have to see it for yourself in person to appreciate how real they look.

IMG_0147A-1.jpg

IMG_0148A-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

IMG_0150A-1.jpg

IMG_0151A-1.jpg

1) I love the TRDI scheme...

2) Folded tips & tails?? Will the kit do that??

shindenfolded.jpg

That bird just keeps getting sexier!!

Yes, according to Hasegawa the ruddervators will be able to rotate all the way from -45 degrees in STOVL/CCV mode to 120 degrees inward for its Stealth Supercruise mode. However, the wingtips won't be movable and you can only choose between normal and deployed positions.

It will also come with an inflight stand and a pilot figure, and hence can be built either gear-up or gear-down.

I REALLY can't wait for July. :)

Pictures from the Ace Combat blog of what the model may look like:

EDIT: Sorry if you didn't see anything earlier, seems like that site doesn't allow direct hotlinking.

o0800040711937122690.jpg

o0800052911937122692.jpg

o0800046511937122694.jpg

o0800053311937122693.jpg

o0800053311937122695.jpg

Edited by White Wolf

I heard rumors about this, but I can't believe it's actually true. I don't personally use the Shinden much in game (too weak of an aircraft and I didn't want to spend money to download it), but having one in model form would just be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As am I, but I still think Hasegawa needs to stop playing around with the Ace Combat aircraft few people care about, i.e. the Shinden, and make kits of the classics like the X-02 Wyvern and ADF-01 Falken. Now THOSE would sell.

I was mulling that the other day, as I'm thinking of either building one of my Macross kits, or doing something sci-fi with a Zvezda Sukhoi T-50. Where they lost me with this jet is the forward-swept wings. But I might still buy it and modify the wings.

I had a soft spot for the forward swept GI Joe one (loosely based on the X-29). But after having cajoled a Skystryker and Rattler out of my folks, there was no way I was ever getting that one too. Ergo, forward swept wings don't seem to bother me so much...

I had a soft spot for the forward swept GI Joe one (loosely based on the X-29). But after having cajoled a Skystryker and Rattler out of my folks, there was no way I was ever getting that one too. Ergo, forward swept wings don't seem to bother me so much...

Heh. Every time I mess around with a Monogram Tomcat, I get a weird flashback to that Skystriker. One of these days I'll have to paint one up just like that toy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received this kit in the mail, thought I'd share some pics of it.

Nice box art showing the two paint schemes in the box.

IMG_01141024x768.jpg

Instructions, complete with history info.

IMG_01151024x768.jpg

Two color options, air superiority camo in three-tone gray (as on the F-15J) or maritime superiority blue (as on the F-2)

Yay for blue :yahoo:

IMG_01161024x768.jpg

Decals, with extra numbers to make your own serial. Also included is the ubiquitous stencils for any JASDF plane.

IMG_01171024x768.jpg

Fuselage halves.

IMG_01201024x768.jpg

Engine and control surfaces parts. Fine engraved lines and ZERO flash everywhere. Lots of extra numbs to trim off.

IMG_01211024x768.jpg

Two weapon sprues, with 3 AAMs (AAM-4s, I think?) and 2 rocket launchers each.

IMG_01221024x768.jpg

Clear sprue with the in flight display stand.

IMG_01241024x768.jpg

Can't wait to get started, I'll jump right into this as soon as I finish my BMW Z4.

Thanks for the pics, Wolf. I like the way the fuselage halves are molded. No filler needed for the wing joints :thumbsup:

I have one on order too. Sci-fi stuff is not normally my thing but the Shiden II looks too good to resist. I'm planning to do the blue version too. Though, these what-if schemes caught my eye too:

http://electrosphere.acecombatskies.com/topic/4889-asf-x-shinden-ii/page__st__40

I like the dark one here:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3295/acah34.jpg

So beautiful....if only the kits weren't so expensive. I'd like to get 3 or 4 more. :(

• 2 weeks later...