1/48 Apollo Spacecraft Stack

I've been working on the LM's Descent Stage.

Here's the Landing Gear with the downlock mechanism. I beefed up the main struts by slicing a styrene tube down it's length and slipping it on to the kit's strut.

2v2JuzDrCxAnAAS.jpg

And attached to the LM ... you can see the Ascent Stage's attach points at the front as well as the circular vents on the triangular supports.

2v2JuziJhxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuziYhxAnAAS.jpg

What I like about building this stuff up, is I learn how it works. There's a reason the downlock links are the length they are, because of the geometry of the folding operation.

2v2JuzDzmxAnAAS.jpg

I also built the Landing Probes, and I've articulated 'em too. The tiny little hinge pin is stretched sprue.

2v2JuzmnSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzmhCxAnAAS.jpg

The Ascent stage is also getting some attention. I drilled out the hatch and will replace it with a homemade one. Four facets were added and the big webbing to the right of the hatch was removed. The cutout above the hatch area is for the New Ware Rendezvous window.

2v2JuzDySxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzivmxAnAAS.jpg

And a dry fit of the subassemblies.

2v2Juz4vhxAnAAS.jpg

It's all coming along nicely.

Edited by K2Pete

Wow!! It certainly is coming along nicely. I like how you've added the plastic tube to the main legs.

Do you plan on covering them with gold foil later? - stupid question really, but I don't know, with your skills you may end up doing something extra special.. ;)

Thanx Jay. I used Mr Mackowski's SIM Apollo CM book for some reference too, and he has a mention of the LES that the Block II was almost the same as the Block I so I didn't do too much to modify it.

And I must admit, I got my hackles up a bit when I read this ..."I must say, with Dragon's 1/48 CSM kit now out, I kind of wondered why one would go to all this trouble." I had to wonder myself, if one of us is missing the point of buying a plastic model kit. I'm not a fan, at all, of any of Dragon's Real Space kits, and correcting an old kit seems to be part and parcel of this hobby, across all subject matter. And I must admit to not understanding the 'modeler' who has hundreds of unbuilt kits stacked in his basement ... it's not a criticism, I just don't understand it. But when I buy a kit, I buy it to build it. It's no trouble, it's the FUN of it. :woot.gif: Either way, no harm, no foul Jay! :thumbsup:

... and "Bodge skills" Jay? Is that a Nebraska-ism or a British-ism? ;) Thanx Jay ... I think ...

LOL, I was trying to do it as a compliment and say it in a nice way before somebody else said something a bit... awkward and maybe not as nice sounding. I hope I succeeded (the written language can be a bit...cumbersome at times when one can't entirely read emotion into a post). I know exactly why you do stuff like this, because it is fun to you (the ultimate definition of a hobby in any form). Besides, it has always been fun to watch you work on this stuff.

And yes, "bodge" is a British-ism. Nope, I'm not British. But, I do like the word and what it conveys (almost like MacGuyver with tools and parts). :D

Hello Pete:

It looking fantastic, I am really enjoy see how you buildthe model.

I want to remain you that on the outrigger struts of the Jseries LM’s the ring were deleted, you can see more detail in here http://www.myspacemuseum.com/lm11ds.jpg.These are the configuration for the J series and the G or H Series http://www.myspacemuseum.com/quads3b.gif,http://www.myspacemuseum.com/quads2b.gif.

I love the way that you solve the thin strut problem

It’s looking great!

Gee ... thanx Pinky, Ricardo, Pascal, Jay.

Pinky, yup, I'll be covering them with a couple colours of foil.

Pascal, I haven't used the NASA pdf's on this one, instead I've used the Virtual LM book for some details. Here's a couple pages on the downlock mechanism. He has included maybe 10 pages, or so, to these components. Some modelers consider this book to be wildly inaccurate ... not me. Yes, there may be 2% of it incorrect, but the details and things he has gotten right, make it a very useful reference tool.

2v2JuzmyLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzmjTxAnAAS.jpg

Ricardo, thanx, I didn't know that. I just looked at an Apollo 17 LM photo and sonuvagun, they aren't there! You saved me some effort! :worship:

And welcome to this forum! :wave:

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx Mike! I bought that book about 5 or 6 years ago and it was 'expensive' then, but I've used it so often that I hafta agree with you ... it's worth every penny!

The 'eyes' need to be enlarged a bit. I made the pencil marks and just carved the excess styrene out. Made a couple of styrene patches and glued 'em in.

2v2JuzSHgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzSZTxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzTuSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzSJCxAnAAS.jpg

I also glued the front hatch.

I wanted to show this photo too, just to show how bad the seams are. (It makes me laugh when some aircraft modelers complain about seams that are out a couple of thousandths of an inch. And then they'll refuse to build the kit. Every Real Space kit I've built has seams that are 1/16" or even an 1/8" gap. It doesn't matter whether the kit is from Revell, Monogram, Airfix, Heller, or Tamiya. These modellers are missing out on a lot of fun. Trying to make that silk purse out of that sow's ear is where all the delight is! :woot.gif: )

The enormous gaps of the RCS 'arms' I fill with styrene scraps, then trim and fill with just a little putty.

2v2JuzSTLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzmMVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzTvWxAnAAS.jpg

So, the major assemblies are blocked in, I guess it's on to the details.

Thanx for lookin' in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Virtual LM is likely more accurate than Virtual Apollo since there were no Block 1 and Block 2 LMs, just built flight articles with refinements done on each flight. The CM book tends to get knocked more since those images tend to be a meshing of Block 1 and Block 2 CSM internal features.

I've got both books and to me, they have some good references. But as with anything, it is always best to check more than one reference if possible to make sure, especially when it is artists renderings as opposed to photos. But, sometimes you still have to take the renderings as word. In the end, I doubt too many people will detect a problem even if there is one. Its all about building the forest, not just the trees.

Wow, this is an amazing build, showcasing some incredible skills! I can't wait to see your next build, a 1/24 scale ISS made from soup cans! :)

I agree, there's nothing like taking an old monster of a kit and wrestling it to the ground and fixing the flaws, even just getting them to fit can be fun!

Alvis 3.1

Very nice update pete , the downlock mechanism look,s very great .do you got your info of the details also from old NASA PDF records ?

lm1.png

Hi bubble,

that's a great drawing and a big help for scratch-building small details of this build. Do you know, where I can find such or similar NASA PDF's with similar designs of the Shuttles stack and MLP for my Launch Pad build?

I also love scratch-building such nice MLP details but on a smaller scale 1:160. :rolleyes:

:wave:

The LM is getting some details.

I rebuilt the front and side antennae and the ladder, added the extension to the Descent Stage Bell and added the "J" mission MESA.

2v2JuzSVWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVvFxAnAAS.jpg

That's the kit ladder to the right.

2v2JuzVE4xAnAAS.jpg

And here's the completed ladder. The little section of tube at the top, fits into an allowance on the landing gear.

2v2JuzVLhxAnAAS.jpg

The MESA is movable ... 

2v2JuzV74xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVSmxAnAAS.jpg

And while wet sanding the massive seams on the Ascent Stage, the water dissolved the white glue holding one of the windows in place. To re-attach it, I recall reading about using white glue to glue the new window to a styrene rod, let it dry and then re-attach the window. The bond is not a strong one so just snap off the styrene rod after attaching the window.

It worked the first time. Now, I just have to keep it dry.

The missing window

2v2JuzVVTxAnAAS.jpg

Threading the rod thru the upper hatch.

2v2JuzVhSxAnAAS.jpg

Hope all you guys in the USA have a terrific, and safe, long weekend!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Hi Pete,

don't worry, be happy. :whistle:

Such misfortunes unfortunately pass but should make themselves only tougher. I am astonished again and again at your skill and accurate workmanship. Your creative solutions are also remarkable and it's a pleasure to see your progress. One can see correctly that it makes fun for you. :thumbsup:

Pete,

I haven't checked this in a while. WOW! :jaw-dropping:

It is looking amazing! With this project, it is evident that you are a sick, sick man! I mean that as a compliment because your previous versions were better than I could ever hope to acheive and now there is this one. Your passion for the subject has let you turn it up a notch...again! You've gone to the point that the only chance for an upgtraded version will have to include sight, sound and smell. LOL I can't wait to see more!

Rob

Gee ... thanx very much RobT!!

I thought I'd better start on the LM's garage. There were just a few ejector pin marks on the inside of the panels, so I sanded 'em off and sketched the details onto the panels and built 'em up. I used styrene strips and a little copper wire.

2v2JuzVCVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVWLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVGgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVn4xAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek gents!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Hi Steve,

Your love for the detail is still admirable, the ladder looks much more delicate and thus better than the kit ladder. That is again fantastic precision work, great job done! :rolleyes:

Thanx guys, very much!

I'm plugging along with all sorts of little details.

The interior of the SLA panels ... I didn't realize it till later on that there are umbilicals to the Service Module Fuel and Oxidizer tanks thru the SLA ( Saturn Lunar module Adapter? ) The circular rings at the top of the 1st and 2nd panels.

2v2JuzVzTxAnAAS.jpg

And tell me, if any of you have the ORIGINAL kit, do the SLA panels have all this nice exterior detail? Or is it just this re-issue?

( January 24, 2018, I later acquired the ORIGINAL kit from 1968 and the surface details are the same ... )

2v2JuzVrLxAnAAS.jpg

On the LM, I've added the LRV equipment stowage area on Quad 3, as well as little details on the top of the Ascent Stage.

2v2JuzV5hxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVNCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVyVxAnAAS.jpg

And on the Command Module, I decided to build the tiny little docking Probe ... this little guy took about 6 hours to build ... my, my, my! :doh:

2v2JuzVdSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVFTxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JuzVqmxAnAAS.jpg

It's getting to the point where I'll be applying foil and paint ... just a few more details to attend to.

Thanx guys, for all your positive comments, and for taking a peek at this build!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Hi Pete,

that's what I call endurance - or still better modeling madness. :woot.gif:

All said: That cannot be done nevertheless! There one came, who did not know that and simply made it. :worship:

You are also no detail too small. Sometimes, one might think you invent still new details ... :coolio: .

Really great cinema, well done! :cheers:

Edited by spaceman

Hi Pete,

I just got this kit the other day. I built it in 1984. Have you decided how the LM is going to sit inside the Spacecraft Launch Adapter? The LM legs are not really strong enough to support the weight of the model, and the LM needs something to sit on so the legs don't collapse. There's nothing in the kit and I ran into this problem in 1984. Are there any photos or other folks who might know how the LM was mounted in the adapter ring on the real McCoy?

Thanks,

Paul

Mike and Manfred, thanx very much!

KJam ... that's great to know! Thanx!

Paul ... here's a couple pix to show how the LM sits in the SLA ... The triangular landing gear supports rest on the Hinge blocks of the panels. (This is all dry fit. I'm awaiting the update set from the Czech Republic so I can add the last little bits )

And there is a 'front' panel. The 'face' of the LM faces a certain panel.

Hope this helps!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete