1/48 Apollo Spacecraft Stack

Hi Pete,

excellent work, and outstanding attention to all the LM details ... :woot.gif:

Your Virtual Apollo/LM Book and the old FineScale Modeler magazine are great guidances for your art of scratch building. Something similar would have to also give it for the Shuttle Launch Pad, and I would be happy, but unfortunately my scale is only 1:160 ... cry.gif

What do you think of a short Video in which you could demonstrate how the downlock mechanism of the Landing Gear works? :rolleyes:

:wave:

Mike and Manfred, thanx very much!

KJam ... that's great to know! Thanx!

Paul ... here's a couple pix to show how the LM sits in the SLA ... The triangular landing gear supports rest on the Hinge blocks of the panels. (This is all dry fit. I'm awaiting the update set from the Czech Republic so I can add the last little bits )

NLMattachpointsdoorsuplorez.jpg

NLMattachpoints-doorsdownlorez.jpg

And there is a 'front' panel. The 'face' of the LM faces a certain panel.

Hope this helps!

Pete

Thank you Sir.

Edited by Paul Mullins

Excellent work Pete. Everyone's glasses are raised in respect to your craftmanship. When I built my CSM, I did it the "lazy man's way" and purchased the RealSpace Models kit. As for the LM, New Ware's detailing set leads my way. But you... you do it the old fashioned way and I love that approach the best.

Mike and Manfred, thanx very much!

KJam ... that's great to know! Thanx!

Paul ... here's a couple pix to show how the LM sits in the SLA ... The triangular landing gear supports rest on the Hinge blocks of the panels. (This is all dry fit. I'm awaiting the update set from the Czech Republic so I can add the last little bits )

NLMattachpointsdoorsuplorez.jpg

NLMattachpoints-doorsdownlorez.jpg

And there is a 'front' panel. The 'face' of the LM faces a certain panel.

Hope this helps!

Pete

It's magnifique, splendid ... I like your model of Appolo program

Thanks to maintain a dream to space

sory for my bad english !

Philippe

• 3 months later...

Alright ... time get back on the horse with this one.

I didn't do anything with this over the last few months so it won't be a big update.

The SPS engine bell got a little attention. I made the panels on the aft end of it.

2v2JuzhULxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Juzh9gxAnAAS.jpg

And here's the Engine bell with the porch, (kit and scratchbuilt) and the shaft for the Hi Gain antenna on the SM.

2v2JuzhQLxAnAAS.jpg

On the LM, I added the wrinkled panel on the back of the Ascent Stage and applied aluminum foil to a couple of panels too. The LM has a lot of wrinkles on it and enjoy trying to replicate the loose, billow-y look it has. The LM is gonna get a lot of layers of raw aluminum foil before it gets the Gold foil. I also added the relocated battery to the back of the Descent stage.

2v2JuzhoSxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Juzh2VxAnAAS.jpg

And here's a nice shot of the real thing to show what I mean about the wrinkles

2v2Juzh1GxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for looking in gents!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Manfred ... I looked at that video just after you posted it ... way-y-y over a year ago. Thanx for that!

Well that last year and a bit, was a real son-uv-a-gun ... lots of health issues, minor and major ... a funeral or two ... and I just didn't have any modeling Mojo. I tried to get back into it many, many times over the last many months, but, it just wasn't there and it wasn't comin' back.

But for the last week, I've felt like building a miniature or two ... so allow me to continue on ... and has Photobucket ever changed ... I have to re-learn how to post pix!  ( Jan 24 2018 ... #$@&!#& Photobucket! )

I've been giving the LM's Ascent stage a little attention. scratchbuilt antennae and New Ware RCS engine bells and vents.

To give the RCS bells a little more strength, I drilled out a divot and glued in a styrene peg ... drilled out a hole in the Ascent stage and glued 'em in.

2v2JJ8SgFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8SdGxAnAAS.jpg

LM Ascent Stage with Rendezvous Window, RCS thrusters, vents and scratched Antennae mounts.

2v2JJ8SmyxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8ST5xAnAAS.jpg

Aft view of the Ascent stage

2v2JJ8SDFxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for lookin' in gents! It feels good to be back ...

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

That's really neat. Hope you get a break building that little guy and get some easy steps before the next hurdle comes along.

I get burned out when I either get a model that is a constant bear to assemble or accurise, or get called away too long with real-world issues. FWIW, I just dig the kit out again, and look for easy assemblies to zip through. After a few of those, I'm pumped enough to git r' done!

Chip

Hi Pete,

Have just found this thread of yours and read through it.

............great to see you getting back on track......................

Some really beautiful work here and a fine example of kit bashing.......something I have not done in a long time........I do have a couple of Monogram LM's in my stash and Tom's details kits....Tom's bought 2009 I see ( always write on the box when purchased...masochism ? ) .............mmmmmmm.............would make a nice change.

In its owe kind of way kit bashing is probably more challenging than building entirely from scratch...........different sets of problems I guess which are so enjoyable to overcome successfully as you so clearly demonstrate.

The boost cover has come out superbly ( not KB though.....SB is difficult to resist ain't it ).

Do keep chopping at the styrene.

Cheers

John

Edited by johnbuck

Thanx gentlemen!

The Descent Engine Bell that I added an extension to, all those many months ago has bothered me since, so I want to create more of a 'flare' to the Bell.

I wrapped the Bell with a strip of .020 styrene, trimmed it and filled it with Tamiya filler. I'll sand it later on.

2v2JJ8SLqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8ShGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8SCnxAnAAS.jpg

I've also been postponing the Plume Deflectors. I have one from another LM kit that I used for dimensions and built 4 new ones. Using .040 styrene rod and just cut 'em and glue 'em.

2v2JJ8SFWxAnAAS.jpg

This is the kit part and I had to make a jig for the angle of the new deflectors.

2v2JJ8SqNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8SWdxAnAAS.jpg

And the frames are done. The deflector itself will come a little later on.

2v2JJ8SGyxAnAAS.jpg

That's it for now ... see y'all later

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2014 at 9:12 AM, crackerjazz said:

Hi Pete, it's wonderful to see the master craftsman at work and sailing full steam ahead again. I'm grabbing a seat to watch this unfold - eye-popping job you're doing so far! Now, don't you stop! :)/>

Whoa ... WHOA big fella ... after taking this 14 month 'break', I feel like I'm having to learn everything all over again ... Master Craftsman :rofl: ... I think not! :thumbsup:

But thanx anyways!

I've been working on the small stuff.

The Engine Bell for the Descent Stage needed a lot of sanding. I tried this Red Bondo, and it just washed off the styrene while wet sanding. Anyway, it took about 3 sessions of filling (Tamiya Putty) and sanding

2v2JJ8SNFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8SrdxAnAAS.jpg

The kit's MLG hinges are quite robust, for playing with, but I've filed them all down 'cuz, honestly, I don't think I'm gonna be playing with 'em too much anymore. :woot.gif:

2v2JJ8SjyxAnAAS.jpg

The Thruster housings for the Service Module are scratch built from 3 layers of thick styrene, filed and sanded to shape.

2v2JJ8S85xAnAAS.jpg

Tomas kindly sent along some extra RCS bells ( along with his LM update set ) so I could use 'em on the SM.

2v2JJ8S5qxAnAAS.jpg

Drilling the holes for the RCS bell pegs, which I'll drill out and glue like the last ones on the LM.

PCSMthrusterdrillholes_zpsf6a56001.jpg

The SLA 'petals' interior were painted with Zinc Chromate. The exterior will be white.

PSLAmasking_zpsc76d6fa9.jpg

PSLApaint_zpscf89836e.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanx lads!

I'm hoping all these little health issues, over the past 2 years, have gone bye-bye and I can complete this kit. :pray:

I've filled and sanded and shall spray on a coat of Primer to see what else needs some attention ... and then take care of that

2v2JJ8V9yxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8Vu5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8Vw8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8V3qxAnAAS.jpg

Here's the LM so far ... the Descent Stage will get wrapped in various foils and I wanted to show the Landing Probes, foldable, on 3 footpads.

You can see my almost constant modelling companion in the background ... :rolleyes:

2v2JJ8VErxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8VJNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JJ8VanxAnAAS.jpg

The CM will get a coat of Gloss Black ... then Alclad Chrome. But the little RCS thrusters are Aluminum tubing and I'll hafta figger out the sequence to attach 'em and use some Red paint to simulate the Sealant around those thrusters.

The LM lower part is close to getting wrapped in foils but I need to determine just how to attach the top hinges of the Primary Landing Struts in a way so that they don't pop out when folded and unfolded ... :hmmm:

Thanx fer lookin'

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Pete! Glad to see you back on this one dude. I know this is going to turn out great. It's got you written all over it with the great detail touches and making silk from a sow's ear. Superb!

Glad you're feeling better and I will continue to pray for continued health.

Bill