Airfix 1:76 Cromwell IV

Some quick snaps of the Cromwell before base work commences.

Not 100% done (when is a model truly 100% done?) as yet.

I used a custom SCC-15 mix provided to me by Mike Starmer. SCC-15 was the standard green used on British armour in NW Europe during 1944. The Vallejo paint mix is as per below;

888 Olive Grey 50%

882 Russian Uniform 50%

I lightened the base colour mix with yellow ochre to fade panels, highlighting etc.

Mig brown filter for dark green and a pin wash of Mig dark wash applied. I cut the pin wash with 50% lighter fluid to ensure a flatter finish.

The tracks lack detail on inside but paint up well with good outside detail. Once the pigment wash was applied, the lack of inside detail did not appear to be as noticeable.

I painted these chocolate brown, drybrushed over flat black primer. Polished steel was drybrushed on high points and the track teeth. Finally a slurry wash of various Mig pigments to "mud 'em up" was added.

This is a superlative kit, even with the interesting running gear assembly and track detail shortcomings.

Next up is a habitat for this British beast.

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-011a.jpg

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-019a.jpg

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-020a.jpg

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-023a.jpg

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-025a.jpg

airfix-cromwell-almost-done-026a.jpg

Wege

Matchbox did a Comet way back in the late 70's. This is a brand new release from Airfix. The fit is near perfect.

It will be at WASMEx later this year and Melbourne Model expo in June :)

:cheers:

MikeJ

• 1 year later...