great progress my friend

is it possible to do a SBS for the riveting?

I want to know if you mark with a pencil lines and then go over freehanded or use a ruller or tape....better even a small video :)

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, impressive work.

However...All the pictures in the Ginter book show gray under the leading edge slats, not red. Also, the radar package wasn't interior green, it was mostly bare aluminum, steel and black. There's a picture of the extended radar package in the Ginter book too. It looks very similar to the follow on version of that radar set which was carried in the F-4B/C/D/N series. The framework inside the barrel of the nose that housed the radar was interior green, but everything else, including the rail it slid out on, was bare metal or painted black. The radar reflector (dish) was painted gloss blue.

Personally, I'd tone down the panel lines too. The aircraft were pretty smooth and uniform gray/white in real life. Even gate guards that have been out in the weather for 40 years don't show that much panel line darkening. That's a personal style issue though.

Hello, I am waiting for masks for insigniat etc....

Grey Ghost: I know I know..... radar... it´s first color on it. I can´t airbrush radar to silver and after that space behind him.

I have only this photo for this part....

134816.jpg

With red color under slots you are right... My mistake... I color it automaticly red, like on other navy birds....

And finaly about shades on grey.... it will go little bit down after wash... but I don´t want have grey cake in my showcase.

many thanks for all comments. H

Hello, I am waiting for masks for insigniat etc....

Grey Ghost: I know I know..... radar... it´s first color on it. I can´t airbrush radar to silver and after that space behind him.

I have only this photo for this part....

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished model.

If you need more pictures of the radar package, you can use any picture of the radar on F-4B/C/D or N, they look almost exactly the same. It's the APQ-72/APA-170 in the F-4N, I used to work on that radar.

*****WARNING - BORING TECHNICAL STUFF*******

In the picture you have, the section that's swung down on its support cable is the "synchronizer", it has all the intermediat frequency receiver circuits and handles all of the timing involved in getting the range information. The section behind it is the power supply, you can see the tops of all the big vacuum tubes. It also has the circuits (synchos and servos) that stabilize the antenna and figures out the elevation and azimuth information of the target. Behind that is the "missile intercept computer". Completely analog. It mostly used relays and resistor networks. The other side of the rack had the transmitter which also had the high frequency receiver stuff in it and behind that was the CW (continuous wave) transmitter that guided the sparrow missiles. The rack in the middle contained an oil to air heat exchanger that cooled the CW transmitter. The oil in that thing was awful stuff, it's probably illegal now. We used to get it all over ourselves when we were purging air from the system; I'm probably going to start growing extra appendages any time now. There were also a couple of other boxes scattered around the rest of the airframe, missile tuners, antennae, a modulator for the CW transmitter and the 'scopes and their support and control boxes. We also were responsible for the missile firing relay panels. Somehow those became my burden in the shop. It must have been my modeling-trained fingers. I seemed to get a lot of the wiring issues when the space was tight and the parts were small.

Uff... thanks for info!

If you have some photos of gun bay (I made it by rentgen picture), and open engine panel, I will really appreciate it!

Thanks, Honza

Edited by Honza K.

Ahhh, those rivets: they are so beautiful, and sooooo many! Who could count them alll....so many, so many.

Googolplex. Graham's Number. Infinity. Decimal infinity. Rivets...

Time for a little visit to my local er, 'health club'.

Again.

• 1 month later...