1/48 MPC Prowler same as Airfix?

The Airfix Prowler is definitely a gear up, hang from the ceiling (preferably a really, really high ceiling) kinda kit :) High up, like inside the dome of the US Capitol.

...so either I can use something off of it for my Monogram or gear up- good paint- decals and hung from ceiling.

OR OR ... you could build it and display it with your other models.

I built this one (MPC) no less than 15 years ago and I still like it.

I believe that there is no BAD kit that a GOOD book can't fix.

prowler1.jpg

Nice job on the old Airfix kit. Although not as detailed as the Monogram kit which was originally released about the same time, the overall shape of the Airfix kit was more accurate in many areas, especially the wings. Not as bad as some people make it out to be. Like most Airfix kits of that era it was a good starting point if you enjoyed scratch-building details.

Mark

Yes, Beautiful one there! Have way too many other builds to put my time into (have put more than my share hours into old kits anyway-need to treat myself to a Tamiya ASAP) and with the CE sets I have, figure I have my hands full with the Monogram kits but as Mark mentioned, should I consider use of the wings if an unfolded build? I will compare them side by side and see.

Well stated Pookie.................a little TLC and ANY kit can be made to look good. I think if modellers spent less time complaining about kits and more time building them the hobby would be better off. Great job on the Prowler Pookie! I am sure you had your hands full with the build but you produced a great model in the end. Nuff said. :tumble:

OR OR ... you could build it and display it with your other models.

I built this one (MPC) no less than 15 years ago and I still like it.

I believe that there is no BAD kit that a GOOD book can't fix.

prowler1.jpg

Well stated Pookie.................a little TLC and ANY kit can be made to look good. I think if modellers spent less time complaining about kits and more time building them the hobby would be better off. Great job on the Prowler Pookie! I am sure you had your hands full with the build but you produced a great model in the end. Nuff said. :tumble:

Yes, I agree and I have a display case to show it. Even Vac kits in there. In fact, this is why I asked here because I don't want to just toss the kit if I can use it. It is too simplified though. Not a complaint, not feeling hopeless, just not going to spend all those hours on it.

In the words and tone of Borat-"Veedy Neiceh" You both have certainly established that the kit can be made into a Proud Prowler! Are there any parts that can be swapped with the Monogram since the Monogram would be built fully detailed folded and parked? Still thinking the MPC would be nice flying with some Superscale decals. Main reason for me is the completely empty gear bays. I have some extra Blackbox cockpit parts I can add.